Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

+8
Jwhelan939
troystaten
Russ OR
BE Mike
Jon Eulette
daflorc
james r chapman
zanemoseley
12 posters

Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by zanemoseley 7/17/2017, 4:26 pm

They have 4 Range Officer elite models they just announced.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/ro-elite-series/

Looks like they upgraded the parkerized finish to a baked on ceramic finish. They also have G10 grips in lieu of the old wood grips. I was never a fan of the parkerized finish or the old grips.

They also now claim to have a generation 2 trigger but not sure what that really works out to being. One odd thing they did was put a fiber optic sight up front, that's not going to sit well with guys shooting irons but you can fix that pretty easy. Now if they would bring back the stainless model.

zanemoseley

Posts : 2681
Join date : 2015-07-11
Location : Cookeville, TN

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by zanemoseley 7/17/2017, 7:32 pm

Saw they now have ambi safeties too, that sucks. No use what so ever except to make disassembly a bitch.

zanemoseley

Posts : 2681
Join date : 2015-07-11
Location : Cookeville, TN

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by james r chapman 7/17/2017, 8:50 pm

actually the ambi safety is useful for a lefty to give him something to lay his thumb on like a right hander...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 6209
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 75
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by daflorc 7/17/2017, 10:30 pm

Roughly 12% of the population is left handed. So instead of selling an ambidextrous safety as an add-on or aftermarket item, to cater to the minority, they decide to irritate the other 88% of us.

daflorc

Posts : 200
Join date : 2016-12-30
Age : 40
Location : Lisle

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by zanemoseley 7/17/2017, 10:37 pm

Btw I'm left handed and still hate them. And I've never used them as a thumb rest.

zanemoseley

Posts : 2681
Join date : 2015-07-11
Location : Cookeville, TN

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by Jon Eulette 7/17/2017, 10:58 pm

I just built a Sig 1911 Target. Kart barrel fit excellent. Sig's internal machining is impeccable. Front strap is checkered. Has MIM guts that I replaced. Rear sight sucks. I remachined slide for LPA rear sight. Put new black front sight on in place of fiber optic. Frame to slide is equal or better than RO. Damn good pistol. I just bought myself one. Going to make myself a ball gun. I stole mine! I won't share what I paid because everyone will hate me ;l)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Posts : 4399
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by zanemoseley 7/18/2017, 6:53 am

Jon, I've talked to you about it before but I have a Sig Traditional Match Elite in 38S.  Before I met you I had an old Colt custom shop smith replace all the trigger guts. It now serves as a lower for my Nelson and has served me well. The reason I got it was for the money it has a ton of great features including some very nice front strap checkering and IMO the nicest stainless finish on the market. 

If I can scrape together some dough you'll be replacing the barrel with a Kart this Winter. I sometimes wonder if you don't see more used in bullseye due to the use of the external extractor but after the issues I've had over the last few years with internal extractors I'm not sure its a bad thing.

zanemoseley

Posts : 2681
Join date : 2015-07-11
Location : Cookeville, TN

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by BE Mike 7/18/2017, 7:44 am

Jon Eulette wrote:I just built a Sig 1911 Target. Kart barrel fit excellent. Sig's internal machining is impeccable. Front strap is checkered. Has MIM guts that I replaced. Rear sight sucks. I remachined slide for LPA rear sight. Put new black front sight on in place of fiber optic. Frame to slide is equal or better than RO. Damn good pistol. I just bought myself one. Going to make myself a ball gun. I stole mine! I won't share what I paid because everyone will hate me ;l)
Jon
Do you know if the Sig 1911's have cast or forged frames? I'm not sure that it really matters; I'm just curious. Sig has a very good reputation for quality, but the price usually reflects that. The 1911's and Sig P 320 may be an exception.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Posts : 2478
Join date : 2011-07-29
Location : Indiana

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by Russ OR 7/18/2017, 8:55 am

I think, at least at one time, Caspian mfr'd the Sig 1911 frames & slides. - -?  -??

Russ OR

Posts : 255
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Oregon City, OR

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by troystaten 7/18/2017, 11:12 am

Is that new Range officer a series 70 style or more like a 80 series style.  I don't need a new 1911 in 45 acp but just wondering.

troystaten

Posts : 803
Join date : 2012-04-18

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by Jwhelan939 7/18/2017, 2:17 pm

My original RO is great. Good accuracy out of the box, and with just a trigger job she shot well. Then I tried to mount a dot. Completely wrong pistol for a wad gun with a rail.

Jwhelan939

Posts : 945
Join date : 2013-04-27
Age : 41
Location : Kintnersville, PA

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by zanemoseley 7/18/2017, 2:53 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:My original RO is great. Good accuracy out of the box, and with just a trigger job she shot well. Then I tried to mount a dot. Completely wrong pistol for a wad gun with a rail.

Why is that?

zanemoseley

Posts : 2681
Join date : 2015-07-11
Location : Cookeville, TN

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by Jwhelan939 7/18/2017, 4:35 pm

The sight leaves a big gap when removed because of the way the lpa cut is recessed. I could only get 3 of the four screws in. Looks like crap and just isn't as strong.

Jwhelan939

Posts : 945
Join date : 2013-04-27
Age : 41
Location : Kintnersville, PA

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by jglenn21 7/18/2017, 6:50 pm

The RRA "cover" rail should cover the cut easily.. it's much lower than any other rail I've seen

If you moved up to 8 x 40 screws I'd bet that 3 of them would be fine


just some options
jglenn21
jglenn21

Posts : 2588
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 76
Location : monroe , ga

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by Jon Eulette 7/18/2017, 7:34 pm

Marvel Precision rail has 4 screws. 3 hold fine. It's my go to rail for 1911's. Could always have a shim/filler made and use longer screw.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Posts : 4399
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by LenV 7/18/2017, 8:56 pm

Or you could make a rail out of a Weaver #26 and leave your rear sight on the pistol. I did that to my .45 RO. It lets you have a wad gun but can be made back into a ball gun in minutes. 

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Dscf0711
LenV
LenV

Posts : 4706
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 74
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by mpolans 7/19/2017, 4:45 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I just built a Sig 1911 Target. Kart barrel fit excellent. Sig's internal machining is impeccable. Front strap is checkered. Has MIM guts that I replaced. Rear sight sucks. I remachined slide for LPA rear sight. Put new black front sight on in place of fiber optic. Frame to slide is equal or better than RO. Damn good pistol. I just bought myself one. Going to make myself a ball gun. I stole mine! I won't share what I paid because everyone will hate me ;l)
Jon
After replacing the barrel, guts, and sights, you're left with what, the frame slide, slidestop, springs, and some pins? wouldn't you be better off just buying a new slide and frame and building from the ground up?

mpolans

Posts : 606
Join date : 2016-05-27

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by Jon Eulette 7/19/2017, 6:20 pm

I live in Kommunist State of Kalifornia. Need I say more?
Smile
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Posts : 4399
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by mpolans 7/20/2017, 5:40 am

daflorc wrote:Roughly 12% of the population is left handed. So instead of selling an ambidextrous safety as an add-on or aftermarket item, to cater to the minority, they decide to irritate the other 88% of us.
Actually, they're also useful in matches where folks (even right-handed people) might need to fire weak hand only, like in USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, and 3-Gun, all of which are growing.  Meanwhile, bullseye seems to be fading.  So, they are catering to the majority.

mpolans

Posts : 606
Join date : 2016-05-27

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by daflorc 7/20/2017, 2:29 pm

mpolans wrote:
daflorc wrote:Roughly 12% of the population is left handed. So instead of selling an ambidextrous safety as an add-on or aftermarket item, to cater to the minority, they decide to irritate the other 88% of us.
Actually, they're also useful in matches where folks (even right-handed people) might need to fire weak hand only, like in USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, and 3-Gun, all of which are growing.  Meanwhile, bullseye seems to be fading.  So, they are catering to the majority.
That makes sense, but the vast majority of gun owners are still those who don't compete, and just keep the gun in their night stand. And 88% of those people are right handed, lol.

daflorc

Posts : 200
Join date : 2016-12-30
Age : 40
Location : Lisle

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by 1joel1 7/21/2017, 3:03 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:My original RO is great. Good accuracy out of the box, and with just a trigger job she shot well. Then I tried to mount a dot. Completely wrong pistol for a wad gun with a rail.

Mine shoots great with 3.4gr Bullseye with Aimpoint H-1 mounted.

Joel


1joel1

Posts : 397
Join date : 2012-11-09
Location : San Diego, CA

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum