Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

+8
Jwhelan939
troystaten
Russ OR
BE Mike
Jon Eulette
daflorc
james r chapman
zanemoseley
12 posters

Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by zanemoseley Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pm

They have 4 Range Officer elite models they just announced.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/ro-elite-series/

Looks like they upgraded the parkerized finish to a baked on ceramic finish. They also have G10 grips in lieu of the old wood grips. I was never a fan of the parkerized finish or the old grips.

They also now claim to have a generation 2 trigger but not sure what that really works out to being. One odd thing they did was put a fiber optic sight up front, that's not going to sit well with guys shooting irons but you can fix that pretty easy. Now if they would bring back the stainless model.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by zanemoseley Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Saw they now have ambi safeties too, that sucks. No use what so ever except to make disassembly a bitch.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Empty Re: SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced.

Post by james r chapman Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 pm

actually the ambi safety is useful for a lefty to give him something to lay his thumb on like a right hander...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Roughly 12% of the population is left handed. So instead of selling an ambidextrous safety as an add-on or aftermarket item, to cater to the minority, they decide to irritate the other 88% of us.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Btw I'm left handed and still hate them. And I've never used them as a thumb rest.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:58 pm

I just built a Sig 1911 Target. Kart barrel fit excellent. Sig's internal machining is impeccable. Front strap is checkered. Has MIM guts that I replaced. Rear sight sucks. I remachined slide for LPA rear sight. Put new black front sight on in place of fiber optic. Frame to slide is equal or better than RO. Damn good pistol. I just bought myself one. Going to make myself a ball gun. I stole mine! I won't share what I paid because everyone will hate me ;l)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:53 am

Jon, I've talked to you about it before but I have a Sig Traditional Match Elite in 38S.  Before I met you I had an old Colt custom shop smith replace all the trigger guts. It now serves as a lower for my Nelson and has served me well. The reason I got it was for the money it has a ton of great features including some very nice front strap checkering and IMO the nicest stainless finish on the market. 

If I can scrape together some dough you'll be replacing the barrel with a Kart this Winter. I sometimes wonder if you don't see more used in bullseye due to the use of the external extractor but after the issues I've had over the last few years with internal extractors I'm not sure its a bad thing.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:44 am

Jon Eulette wrote:I just built a Sig 1911 Target. Kart barrel fit excellent. Sig's internal machining is impeccable. Front strap is checkered. Has MIM guts that I replaced. Rear sight sucks. I remachined slide for LPA rear sight. Put new black front sight on in place of fiber optic. Frame to slide is equal or better than RO. Damn good pistol. I just bought myself one. Going to make myself a ball gun. I stole mine! I won't share what I paid because everyone will hate me ;l)
Jon
Do you know if the Sig 1911's have cast or forged frames? I'm not sure that it really matters; I'm just curious. Sig has a very good reputation for quality, but the price usually reflects that. The 1911's and Sig P 320 may be an exception.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:55 am

I think, at least at one time, Caspian mfr'd the Sig 1911 frames & slides. - -?  -??

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:12 am

Is that new Range officer a series 70 style or more like a 80 series style.  I don't need a new 1911 in 45 acp but just wondering.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:17 pm

My original RO is great. Good accuracy out of the box, and with just a trigger job she shot well. Then I tried to mount a dot. Completely wrong pistol for a wad gun with a rail.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:My original RO is great. Good accuracy out of the box, and with just a trigger job she shot well. Then I tried to mount a dot. Completely wrong pistol for a wad gun with a rail.

Why is that?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:35 pm

The sight leaves a big gap when removed because of the way the lpa cut is recessed. I could only get 3 of the four screws in. Looks like crap and just isn't as strong.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:50 pm

The RRA "cover" rail should cover the cut easily.. it's much lower than any other rail I've seen

If you moved up to 8 x 40 screws I'd bet that 3 of them would be fine

just some options
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Marvel Precision rail has 4 screws. 3 hold fine. It's my go to rail for 1911's. Could always have a shim/filler made and use longer screw.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:56 pm

Or you could make a rail out of a Weaver #26 and leave your rear sight on the pistol. I did that to my .45 RO. It lets you have a wad gun but can be made back into a ball gun in minutes. 

SA Range Officer Elite lineup announced. Dscf0711
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I just built a Sig 1911 Target. Kart barrel fit excellent. Sig's internal machining is impeccable. Front strap is checkered. Has MIM guts that I replaced. Rear sight sucks. I remachined slide for LPA rear sight. Put new black front sight on in place of fiber optic. Frame to slide is equal or better than RO. Damn good pistol. I just bought myself one. Going to make myself a ball gun. I stole mine! I won't share what I paid because everyone will hate me ;l)
Jon
After replacing the barrel, guts, and sights, you're left with what, the frame slide, slidestop, springs, and some pins? wouldn't you be better off just buying a new slide and frame and building from the ground up?

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:20 pm

I live in Kommunist State of Kalifornia. Need I say more?
Smile
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 am

daflorc wrote:Roughly 12% of the population is left handed. So instead of selling an ambidextrous safety as an add-on or aftermarket item, to cater to the minority, they decide to irritate the other 88% of us.
Actually, they're also useful in matches where folks (even right-handed people) might need to fire weak hand only, like in USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, and 3-Gun, all of which are growing.  Meanwhile, bullseye seems to be fading.  So, they are catering to the majority.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:29 pm

mpolans wrote:
daflorc wrote:Roughly 12% of the population is left handed. So instead of selling an ambidextrous safety as an add-on or aftermarket item, to cater to the minority, they decide to irritate the other 88% of us.
Actually, they're also useful in matches where folks (even right-handed people) might need to fire weak hand only, like in USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, and 3-Gun, all of which are growing.  Meanwhile, bullseye seems to be fading.  So, they are catering to the majority.
That makes sense, but the vast majority of gun owners are still those who don't compete, and just keep the gun in their night stand. And 88% of those people are right handed, lol.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:My original RO is great. Good accuracy out of the box, and with just a trigger job she shot well. Then I tried to mount a dot. Completely wrong pistol for a wad gun with a rail.

Mine shoots great with 3.4gr Bullseye with Aimpoint H-1 mounted.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down