Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adjusting the Matchdot II sight for different distances

5 posters

Go down

Adjusting the Matchdot II sight for different distances Empty Adjusting the Matchdot II sight for different distances

Post by mikemyers Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:33 pm

How do you guys adjust your sights for shooting at different distances?  I guess this should be a "general question", but I'm also dealing with it right now, with my Ultradot II.  I would have the same problem with steel sights - in the past, I just "guessed".  I've never yet tried to think about the wind....   I guess that's also an issue.

I'll ask my specific question here, but maybe the thread should be in general terms, so it helps anyone with any type of sight.

My specific question:    Can anyone here give a "starting point" when adjusting a Matchdot II sight between different distances?  There is a control on the top of the sight, so once it is "sighted in" for any given distance, it can be changed for a different distance, and then brought back to the starting point.  In my case I've got my sight set for 15 yards, but I'd like to be able to switch to 25 and 50 yards.  This is with standard velocity CCI ammo. I'm sure I'll have to fine-tune it, but it would be helpful to have a starting point, how many units between 15 and 25, and between 25 and 50.  'm guessing that if there's any wind, that too will make a difference.  Any tips for dealing with that?

Adjusting the Matchdot II sight for different distances 590309
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Adjusting the Matchdot II sight for different distances Empty Re: Adjusting the Matchdot II sight for different distances

Post by zanemoseley Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:52 pm

I keep mine zeroed at 25 yards. Going to 50 yards I bump it up 2-3 clicks for .22 and 4-5 for .45.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Adjusting the Matchdot II sight for different distances Empty Re: Adjusting the Matchdot II sight for different distances

Post by Larry2520 Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:27 pm

I make no adjustment between 25 and 50 yards for 22 and generally bring it up @ 4 clicks for 50 yards with the 45. This is for loads with 200 grain LSWC with 4.0 grains of Clays behind it. You'll have to compensate if you use different loads.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by urbanm84 Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:36 pm

set mine at "0" for 50yrds and use a dab of paint at the other yardages  that works for you. Blue for 25,red for 15 etc.

urbanm84

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:45 pm

I have Matchdot II on 3 different calibers.  My 22, 38 and 45 and I sight them in at 25yds and set the elevation turret to Zero.  Then I shoot at 50yds and adjust if needed and record the number off the turret dial and mark record that number on a magnetic card in my gun box listing the distance and the load.  If I need to shoot 25 I just turn the dial back to zero.  I do the same indoors for 20yds and 50 feet.  This is the one thing I like about the Matchdot II I am not trying to feel and count clicks as i sure can't hear them anymore.  The nice thing i can look at the number on the dial and know where it was last set.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down