Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel vs. Advantage Arms

+20
Schaumannk
DavidR
Historian1972
Tom Jadlos
Al
Pilot7576
grountree
Rob Kovach
alarmguy
hunter3705
rickbriggs
Jack H
Brassburnz
Colt711
Founder
Kimber-45
dan allen
Cort
Paper-Puncher
Swarfmonger
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Marvel vs. Advantage Arms - Page 2 Empty Marvel vs. Advantage Arms

Post by Swarfmonger Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello folks,
I want to purchase a .22 conversion and was wondering which would be my best bet beetween a Marvel series 1 and the Advantage arms Target model? I want to start shooting bullseye and would like to get it right the first time. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Swarfmonger

Back to top Go down

Marvel vs. Advantage Arms - Page 2 Empty Re: Marvel vs. Advantage Arms

Post by alarmguy Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:34 pm

Ok, I finally pulled the trigger on a Marvel Precision. Went to Perry on Tuesday of pistol week and bought an aluminum lockback. Finished getting my scores in for league last week with the 41 so I'm going to start practice this week with the Marvel. One problem though, it came with only one mag and they had no extras to sell. I've checked on the web and there are none to be had until, I guess, the next shipment of GSG's get through US Customs.
Commercial row was fun, wish I had a spare few thousand to spend.

alarmguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Jadlos Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm new to the discipline of bullseye and not trying to be smart, but what is the attraction of the Marvel conversion other than feeling like a .45?  It seems that the reliability issues outweigh the benefits.  I'd appreciate hearing your comments.  Thanks,
Tom

Tom Jadlos

Back to top Go down

Marvel vs. Advantage Arms - Page 2 Empty GSG Magazines ....try ebay

Post by Historian1972 Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:45 pm

alarmguy wrote:Ok, I finally pulled the trigger on a Marvel Precision. Went to Perry on Tuesday of pistol week and bought an aluminum lockback. Finished getting my scores in for league last week with the 41 so I'm going to start practice this week with the Marvel. One problem though, it came with only one mag and they had no extras to sell. I've checked on the web and there are none to be had until, I guess, the next shipment of GSG's get through US Customs.
Commercial row was fun, wish I had a spare few thousand to spend.

Try Ebay, I bought my last two at about 36$ each.  Not bad if its all I can find.  I just checked and found several on ebay.

Jeff
Historian1972
Historian1972

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Tom Jadlos wrote:I'm new to the discipline of bullseye and not trying to be smart, but what is the attraction of the Marvel conversion other than feeling like a .45?  It seems that the reliability issues outweigh the benefits.  I'd appreciate hearing your comments.  Thanks,
Tom

Thats about it, the 45 feel and trying to get both guns to feel the same is the main attraction, they are as accurate as most 22 target pistols are, some will run reliably and those are the lucky guys, the others can be made to but it takes some getting the bugs out. If you build a A quality lower using A grade parts and dont try and get a 2lb trigger, you will have fewer issues.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Jadlos Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:49 pm

David and others correct me if I'm not think correctly, but a new S&W model 41 would be a "safer" bet from a reliability, accuracy being equal, standpoint in view of S&W's life time warranty.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that it sounds as if it would be more cost-effective to purchase a model 41 than with putting together a Marvel conversion.  Does that make sense? 
Tom

Tom Jadlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:15 pm

I use a Marvel, new in '98, a Bob Marvel Target AA, and recently sold a 41 I used since about '94.

II would agree as to the frame being important. I have a '70 series Colt on which both units work fine. I also have an Essex SS bought from another shooter. It had to be fit for my Marvel even though he was using it with his Marvel.

After obtaining the AA it had to be worked on again to fit the AA.  Still kind of rough but works.

If I shot the 41 as well I would have kept it and be shooting it.
Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Tom Jadlos wrote:David and others correct me if I'm not think correctly, but a new S&W model 41 would be a "safer" bet from a reliability, accuracy being equal, standpoint in view of S&W's life time warranty.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that it sounds as if it would be more cost-effective to purchase a model 41 than with putting together a Marvel conversion.  Does that make sense? 
Tom

The Marvel Precision units are some of those most reliable .22 s out there as long as you are using the GSG magazines.   

On the other hand, the model 41 can be very ammo picky, and I have heard that the accuracy in the newer ones, may not be all that great either.   
          I like having all my bullseye guns on the same 1911 platform.   Also since very little can go wrong with the frame, it is possible to buy two units and use one for potential back up in case of some issue that cant be immediately fixed on the line.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by MuayThaiJJ Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:28 pm

Will a Marvel rib fit on an Advantage Arms barrel?
MuayThaiJJ
MuayThaiJJ

https://www.youtube.com/@NickShootsStuff

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:36 am

Mine did with some filing
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:12 pm

With his thread revived after an 8 year slumber, any updates in opinions over the years? With Nelson being a big player now, who's the goto company for a competitive conversion?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by MuayThaiJJ Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:30 pm

I have owned six 1911 conversions so far, in this order:

GSG
Advantage Arms
CWA
Marvel
Kart
Nelson

The Nelson was the best, flawless no hiccups, and the Marvel is a close 2nd or just as good.
MuayThaiJJ
MuayThaiJJ

https://www.youtube.com/@NickShootsStuff

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:46 am

I own a Nelson and a new Marvel steel slide. Both have been utterly reliable with the right mags (basically, any plastic mags for the Nelson, GSG mags for the Marvel). One thing I really like about the Marvel steel slide is that it cycles a little slower, and "feels" more like my wadgun (though obviously with lower recoil).

Dave

Dcforman

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Marvel vs. Advantage Arms - Page 2 Empty Add magazine comments

Post by Colt711 Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:56 am

I have the Marvel #1 converted to a steel slide and Bob M. AA Pro. At my age matches are gone but I shoot every week. I still use both and they are reliable yet. Were I to do it over I would have a 'smith fit frames to them rather than setting them up myself.
I used 2 steel mags on the original Marvel 1. After changing to a steel slide they weren't reliable and I have just used the plastics. I have just never taken the time to go to my 'smith and have the work done. I have several small projects and whenever I get ready to take them to him health issues get in the way??

There is so much positive talk re: Nelson's that I'm tempted to get one!?

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2