Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out of wheel weights... what about L#2???

+3
zanemoseley
Jon Eulette
Tim:H11
7 posters

Go down

Out of wheel weights... what about L#2??? Empty Out of wheel weights... what about L#2???

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:00 pm

I've been using wheel weights for my 45's. I'm pretty much out but I have a good supply of Lyman #2. Will this be a good switch? I have a match coming up in a month. Need to make Bullets. Concerned about how different wheel weights are compared to Lyman #2. Which is better? Will I see an accuracy difference? If so better or worse? Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Out of wheel weights... what about L#2??? Empty Re: Out of wheel weights... what about L#2???

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:15 pm

45 bullets/caliber is forgiving. As long as mixture is consistent your fine. Lyman #2 is great bullet alloy.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Out of wheel weights... what about L#2??? Empty Re: Out of wheel weights... what about L#2???

Post by zanemoseley Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Jason if you run out of lead I have a guy I met on Ebay I've been buying lead from, seems to shoot just fine, I've been mixing it with the WW lead I have left. I'm done using wheel weights, I don't mind doing some work but by time you buy the WW from tire shops and sort out the iron, zinc and plastic weight, smelt down and turn into ingots its a lot of nasty work to save a few dollars. The guy I'm using sells me 66 pounds for $80 delivered and its nice sized ingots for the Lee pot.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by desben Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:48 pm

The guy I buy lead from is a bit more expensive. He charges me $65 for 21 pounds of Lyman #2. It comes as a bunch of tiny cylinders weighing 148 grains each, .357" in diameter. I don't even bother melting it. Laughing
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Try Rotometals.  They can supply with any lead alloy.  Not cheap but their mixes are tested and controlled.  So what you order next time will be the same.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks guys. I was more interested in information on the comparison of WW versus L#2. I have a source for wheel weights and I get them in ingots. I don't have to do all the work of melting it and sorting it. I know a guy that works in a tire shop that refuses to buy bullets. He is a hand loader, a wild cat loader, R+D bullet guy sort of. Does a lot of powder coat bullets for rifle. I get the stuff from him in ingots already. I'm just out of WW and don't have the cash for more BUT I do happen to have a fair amount of Lymann #2. So I was curious. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Not sure how people afford to cast with Lyman #2, for what it costs a pound I can buy finished bullets.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 pm

zanemoseley wrote:Not sure how people afford to cast with Lyman #2, for what it costs a pound I can buy finished bullets.

The Lymann #2 I have was a gift. A very VERY nice gift. 30+ pounds plus a slab of tin.

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:35 am

Personally, I'd mix that Lyman #2 50/50 with some pure or nearly pure lead.   Simply no need to be using an alloy as hard as Lyman #2 for .45 ACP loads.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:52 pm

OR sell the #2 for a premium and buy more WW ingots at a discount...

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:56 pm

But KEEP THE TIN!

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:37 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote:OR sell the #2 for a premium and buy more WW ingots at a discount...

I'm keeping the L#2 I'm gonna get into rifle bullet casting and was told it's a good lead for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down