Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eley made for CMP

+19
PMcfall
Ed Hall
steve_podleski
chopper
jglenn21
ric1911a1
UtahDave
javaduke
Bubba Blaster
CR10X
robert84010
desben
fc60
Jon Eulette
james r chapman
8eightring
BE Mike
Chris Miceli
john bickar
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Eley made for CMP - Page 2 Empty Eley made for CMP

Post by john bickar Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

I got a notification last week from CMP that some Aguila .22 that I had on backorder was not going to be able to be fulfilled. The woman offered me a case of "Eley Standard Velocity 40 GR 1090FPS" for $355. I emailed back and asked which product line of Eley this was (Target, Sport, Club) and received the reply: "This is Standard Eley. You will not find it on the Eley website. It was made specifically for CMP."

Anyone tried this? Any experiences with it, good or bad?

$355 for a case of Eley seems like a good deal, as long as it's not the old purple Eley Sport (which was great at its price point, but not at $350/case).
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Eley made for CMP - Page 2 Empty Re: Eley made for CMP

Post by john bickar Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 pm

UtahDave wrote:What pistol were you shooting?

Hämmerli 208S
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

So far, I have shot around 350 rounds of it through my Hammerli 208S. A couple friends have fired well over a brick in 2 M-41's and a High Standard.

All indoors. Zero malfunctions, very consistent. Seems just a touch more energy than Eley orange box.

I like it, and will be trying it in several more guns.

Ric
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Bubba Blaster wrote:Is $355 the delivered price ?

Yes
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:24 pm

I bought a case a couple weeks back and it cycles great through my Nelson and my HS Sharpshooter with CPC barrel. I feel it's accurate, although I haven't benched either gun.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by steve_podleski Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Eley sells it as Eley Standard in the same 500-round box.

steve_podleski

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:42 am

I finally gathered up the nerve to shoot this stuff at 50 yards tonight and had a 195 with 6 or 7 Xs. Tight group, everything on call.

594-36x for the 60-shot agg.

I’ve had an 891 and an 890 with it at 50’.

I’ll say that it shoots.

Pretty good for plastic bag .22 ammo.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 am

john bickar wrote:I finally gathered up the nerve to shoot this stuff at 50 yards tonight and had a 195 with 6 or 7 Xs. Tight group, everything on call.

594-36x for the 60-shot agg.

I’ve had an 891 and an 890 with it at 50’.

I’ll say that it shoots.

Pretty good for plastic bag .22 ammo.
Not too bad, I guess.Razz   Of course, I still haven't touched 890 at 50 feet.  I'll have to try some at a later time.  It's been a little while since I was close to cleaning Slow Fire targets...

You remind me of how I used to like to toss all my ammo in plastic bags from the local hardware store and set the bags on the bench so their store name was visible.  Not that I was intentionally advertising for them, but just to suggest my ammo came from a hardware store.  In reality, although I wasn't using theirs, they do sell guns and ammo at our local hardware store.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:23 pm

I recently Ransom Rested my Kart and my 41 with this new ammo @ 50 yds.  Accuracy, at least in my pistols, is just ok, nothing spectacular.  Went bang every time and ran the pistols without flaw.  Plenty good enough for the short line, but I'll shoot something better at the long line.  I've got other Eley's and even CCI SV that will shoot smaller 50 yd groups.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:41 pm

PMcfall wrote:I recently Ransom Rested my Kart and my 41 with this new ammo @ 50 yds.  Accuracy, at least in my pistols, is just ok, nothing spectacular.  Went bang every time and ran the pistols without flaw.  Plenty good enough for the short line, but I'll shoot something better at the long line.  I've got other Eley's and even CCI SV that will shoot smaller 50 yd groups.
Phil

Greetings,

What diameter were the groups? Did it hold the X-ring for ten shots?

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Just got 2 marvels back from getting some work done. I'll be testing it (and CCI sv, Aquila SE & some older Rem SV) in both of them and a Nelson as soon as I finish with my Hunter Ed class next week.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:14 pm

PMcfall wrote:I recently Ransom Rested my Kart and my 41 with this new ammo @ 50 yds.  Accuracy, at least in my pistols, is just ok, nothing spectacular.  Went bang every time and ran the pistols without flaw.  Plenty good enough for the short line, but I'll shoot something better at the long line.  I've got other Eley's and even CCI SV that will shoot smaller 50 yd groups.
Phil

Note that variability from lot-to-lot even within the same "line" of .22 ammo with a given gun often is greater than variability from line-to-line or brand-to-brand. And the lot that one gun likes may be terrible in other .22s.

And that Bill Demarest shot a World Record in free pistol with a lot of .22 that shot the worst in his gun once he tested it.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Dave
Here are my results:

Kart               S&W 41
CMP Eley lot 1         1.71"               2.66"
CMP Eley lot 2         1.66                1.96
CCI                        1.41                1.37
TenX                      1.17                1.44

As I said, it did go bang each and every time, something I cannot depend on Aguilla doing.

I will also tell you that I shot some of the CMP Eley in a target rifle @ 50 and it shot neck and neck with a known good shooting TenX.  Less than 1/2". FWIW
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Greetings Phil,

That data is most helpful.

As Mr. Bickar pointed out, lot to lot variations come in to play.

Looks like it would certainly be useful at the 25 yard Timed and Rapid stages.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by clark2245 Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Didn't see anything about anyone doing any real testing with the CMP Eley so I will pass on what I learned a few months ago when I ran some through 2 different Marvels in a ransom rest.   First off, it was the first time I have used a ransom so I am definitely not an expert.   Also, the ransom was attached to the wooden benches at our range and not to a really solid platform as is best, so I'm sure the resulting groups are bigger than an experienced operator with a properly mounted ransom could achieve.

With both Marvels the smallest groups (10 shots at 50 yards) were about .8" x 1.3" with vertical stringing, which I suspect is operator error combined with vibration from the bench it was attached to.   Other groups were slightly larger, generally around 1.2 or 1.3" in diameter.   Overall I was very happy with the results, especially with my lack of experience with a ransom, and the relatively poor mounting conditions.   I just bought a second case to get me through the year, or at least until Camp Perry when I will probably pick up more.   Those groups were smaller than I was able to get with CCI or Agula and about the same as Eley Target at half the price.

Note:   One interesting result was after shooting the CMP Eley, which has a different lube than most other ammo, I ran some Eley Target through one of the Marvels and got a much bigger group than that ammo usually gives.   Group size about 2" x 3" or so.   If changing from the lube on the CMP Eley to other ammo you might want to clean the gun first or fire a bunch of fouling rounds to be safe.   Only one target fired this way so YMMV.

Also, one competitor at our matches has had some trouble with dud rounds through a Ruger with this ammo.   His gun makes a deep enough but very small firing pin strike on the edge of the case so not sure what to think.

clark2245

Back to top Go down

Post by Wmvdg123 Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:44 am

8eightring wrote:I opted to get a case of that 22. It performed very well in my High Standard Trophy and a John Dwoark conversion. Just shot off sandbags and using a red dot on both pistols at fifty yards and it easily held the X ring.
Do you have a 45 that will shoot this well off sandbags?

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by steve 61 Thu May 10, 2018 1:07 am

the Eley from CMP shoots about the same as CCI Standard velosity, more consistent rim thickness functioned well

steve 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2