Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adjusting trigger positions

5 posters

Go down

Adjusting trigger positions Empty Adjusting trigger positions

Post by 285wannab Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:56 pm

I have a question on moving trigger positions..  Some guns have so much adjustability in the trigger and I wonder which way to move it and why.  Example is if my gun pulls to the left on sear release does that mean I want to move my trigger out more?  Giving it more length?  And why?
I am guessing if my barrel is being pulled down on the shot I would want to move my trigger position up.
Looking forward to your replies.....

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Adjusting trigger positions Empty Re: Adjusting trigger positions

Post by 285wannab Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Being trigger control is very important it would seem like this would be a hot topic....
Even the guys with 1911 platforms have some adjustability. 
So when you guys get back in from practicing please share you thoughts.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Not simple answer. Shooter error is biggest problem in my opinion vs. Correct trigger placement. So 'D' all of the above can contribute. I intentionally use different trigger lengths on my pistols because it forces me to pay attention to trigger squeeze. I do have long fingers so I can get away with it. For short triggers I stick my finger way into the trigger. I think a trigger that is too long is worse than too short. So it boils down to dry firing on white wall and really learning how to squeeze trigger on individual pistol to see what it takes to break a perfect shot.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Before all these fancy triggers a guy with a S&W M41, a Colt 1911, and iron sights set the record that still stands. I'm no High Master but from what I see good shooters shoot well regardless of microadjustable triggers. Not good shooters tend to remain not good shooters by looking for shortcuts to good fundamentals. I'm just an OK shooter, I have a decent selection of guns/triggers to choose from and I shoot similar scores with all of them. That being said of course I want a Pardini......
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:10 pm

orpheoet wrote:Before all these fancy triggers a guy with a S&W M41, a Colt 1911, and iron sights set the record that still stands. I'm no High Master but from what I see good shooters shoot well regardless of microadjustable triggers. Not good shooters tend to remain not good shooters by looking for shortcuts to good fundamentals. I'm just an OK shooter, I have a decent selection of guns/triggers to choose from and I shoot similar scores with all of them. That being said of course I want a Pardini......

I think the above is correct.  And also, that long time experience should tell you that the trigger finger motion that releases the hammer is best when the finger press is straight back.  You can do some gymnastics with your finger to compensate for length of pull.  There is an ideal LOP for each of us/gun combination.  Too long a pull, you might push left (right handed).  Too short, pull right.  On my AP, the trigger piece is even cocked out to the right side to better match the down angle of my finger.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks guys...  Guess I was looking for that perfect lop.  And now you reminded me that if I am not pulling straight back that won't matter.  I dry fire on a target a lot but, never just on a wall. Time to spend sometime doing that and see what I see.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:39 pm

Not sure if this is helpful, but someone here suggested I try out lots of different positions, grips, and so on, and see what works best for me.  A few weeks ago I was noticing that if my sights shifted to the left when I dry fired, I needed to move my trigger finger a little further into the gun.  Ditto for if the sights shifted a little to the left - I needed to pull my finger a little more out from the trigger.  I found one position that seemed to work the most consistently.   

If I had to guess why this happened, it was that I wasn't pushing the trigger straight towards me, one way, or the other.  For that matter, the height of my finger also had an influence.  I've never had it too low, but if my finger is too high, that seems to pull the gun up.  

I never knew the trigger itself could be re-positioned.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down