Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leading in the barrel

+15
NationalMatch
Garander 62
hipirn2
oldsalt444
jglenn21
Jon Eulette
javaduke
dronning
TampaTim
Gary Wells
Deerspy
rreid
noproblem
messenger
Multiracer
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leading in the barrel Empty Leading in the barrel

Post by Multiracer 9/29/2017, 9:07 pm

I have a Kart 45 NM barrel that leads in the chamber as well as the first inch in areas.
It is really stubborn to clean.
Any recipe ideas so I don't over scrub with the brushes ?
I shoot, jacketed, swaged and cast bullets virtually all the time.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Leading in the barrel Empty Re: Leading in the barrel

Post by messenger 9/29/2017, 9:09 pm

I soak my barrels in Kroil over night. 

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by noproblem 9/29/2017, 9:17 pm

Pure copper Chore Boy works great,

noproblem

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 9/29/2017, 9:19 pm

I have an Outers Foul-out system. Unfortunately, they were discontinued and the chemicals are no longer available. Kroil is also good. I have the spray can. I shoot some in the barrel and let it soak 20-30 minutes, then run a brush through it.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy 9/29/2017, 9:19 pm

try some JB bore paste  in my 45 I run 50cal  nylon then hoppes and let it soak wile cleaning rest of gun then more hopes and then JB bore paste and repeat till clean then do this after each match and it seams to clean up easier if I use the JB,s every time.

deer spy

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 9/29/2017, 9:29 pm

A while back there was a debate about the use of JB bore cleaner. I believe that the primary poster was Jerry Keefer so the thread might have been removed. Might want to do a search. Interesting thread with a lot of pro & con on it.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by TampaTim 9/29/2017, 9:36 pm

I would look at your components and reloading technique to stop the leading.

TampaTim

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 9/29/2017, 10:11 pm

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 9/29/2017, 10:36 pm

Are the bullets you bought actually the size you expected?
If you can, slug your barrel.  Your lead bullets should be .001-.002 bigger than the grooves in your barrel (not the lands).  If they aren't you will get leading.
https://www.starlinebrass.com/articles/Slugging-Handgun-Barrels/

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 9/29/2017, 11:17 pm

How about the Lewis Lead Remover? I've never tried it in .45 barrel, but it works great with my .38 revolvers and S&W 52.
https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

javaduke

https://bullseyepistolblog.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/30/2017, 12:00 am

Is it leading full circumference of bore or just the bottom? How far out are you seating the lead bullet shoulder? Should be approx. 0.020"-0.030" of bullet shoulder sticking out of case. Can you measure from rear of hood to the front edge of chamber (headspace)? Depending on who built the pistol they might not have finish reamed the chamber. They have a tendency to lead. Also swaged bullets have a tendency to lead some barrels more than others.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 9/30/2017, 8:07 am

Jon Eulette wrote:Is it leading full circumference of bore or just the bottom? How far out are you seating the lead bullet shoulder? Should be approx. 0.020"-0.030" of bullet shoulder sticking out of case. Can you measure from rear of hood to the front edge of chamber (headspace)? Depending on who built the pistol they might not have finish reamed the chamber. They have a tendency to lead. Also swaged bullets have a tendency to lead some barrels more than others.
Jon

Mostly the bottom, near the ramp, bullet shoulders are about what you stated for almost all of my ammunition.
I will measure the headspace when I get back home this evening.
I probably use more swaged than anything.
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it before I destroy a good barrel.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/30/2017, 10:58 am

while I don't have any leading issues with hard cast bullets,  swaged will leave the type of leading you described.  Try simply coating them with 45-45-10 via a tumbling method.. cured it for me
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/30/2017, 11:06 am

Thanks for info. Bottom only is typical of swaged bullets. Try shooting cast only and see how it goes. I have a pistol that I will not use swaged bullets because it takes an hour to clean it. Doesn't lead with cast!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 9/30/2017, 11:29 am

jglenn21 wrote:while I don't have any leading issues with hard cast bullets,  swaged will leave the type of leading you described.  Try simply coating them with 45-45-10 via a tumbling method.. cured it for me

Funny you mention that stuff. I just got a quart for some other bullets. I will try coating everything I load.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 9/30/2017, 12:36 pm

Bullet size, lube and lead hardness all play a role. There's a cast bullet forum with tons of info for both rifle and pistol.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

What I do is use bore foam, let it soak for an hour or so, then use Hoppe's and a 45 rifle brush or a 45 military brush.  A couple of good hearty scrubbings with that big brush will get the lead out.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by hipirn2 9/30/2017, 5:02 pm

Barrel leading: All good advice here. Bullet fit critical. Swaged bullets around 700 FPS with your loads with these or expect leading, Mechanical lead extraction works best (quicker), use a worn copper brush of bore size wind a little Chore girl/boy pure copper (unwind the strands from a pad to use) make it a tight fit in the chamber ( some force is required to get started and use so get a good grip or use other means to hold the gun stroke the brush through the tight spot where the lead is pull it back then repeat until the stroking becomes easy remove the brush run a dry patch through and have a look, likely the lead will be removed, if not repeat the procedure, clean as per usual. The whole thing only requires a few minuets, does NOT harm the bore and helps put a smile on your face at finding a solution to a difficult (formerly) problem. I used to shoot revolvers a lot daily and nearly gave it up until finding this de-leading method. A snuggly fitting paper patch will show you where the lead is in a barrel without the need to examined it further, it will glide through a clean bore but catch on any lead in there. Sorry about the long post. PhilMcC

hipirn2

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 9/30/2017, 7:43 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Is it leading full circumference of bore or just the bottom? How far out are you seating the lead bullet shoulder? Should be approx. 0.020"-0.030" of bullet shoulder sticking out of case. Can you measure from rear of hood to the front edge of chamber (headspace)? Depending on who built the pistol they might not have finish reamed the chamber. They have a tendency to lead. Also swaged bullets have a tendency to lead some barrels more than others.
Jon
Jon,
Not having a go/no go gauge, the measurement I get is .901 " Just about right from what I read.
I am going to chalk it up to swaged bullets and get after the cleaning cycle a bit earlier.
Ron

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/30/2017, 7:58 pm

0.901 is good. Does the lead from chamber to rifling have an angle leading into lands?
Thx
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 9/30/2017, 8:12 pm

I dont recall. The barrel is clean now.
I am shooting indoors this weekend, I will look after that.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Garander 62 10/1/2017, 12:32 pm

You might be shaving the bullet a bit during seating , especially if not cast perfectly . I had a similar problem with 200 gr  swc cast ,
Switched to zeros 185 swaged , problem solved .

Garander 62

Back to top Go down

Post by NationalMatch 10/28/2017, 1:51 pm

I bet it's not finish reamed.
Look closely for the gradual taper into the rifling.

NationalMatch

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 10/28/2017, 4:46 pm

Karts will lead like crazy if not finish reamed to set the throat angle. You can set the throat without messing up the headspace
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 10/28/2017, 6:46 pm

jglenn21 wrote:Karts will lead like crazy if not finish reamed to set the throat angle. You can set the throat without messing up the headspace
I coated the same Magnus swaged 200G SWC with that 45-45-10 stuff, let it dry for a day or so, loaded a bunch and made them go bang in an indoor match and the bore was nice and easy to clean. I think I am going to coat everything lead that own.
What tool creates the taper but does not go deeper ?

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 10/28/2017, 7:04 pm

Standard finish reamer will do it.. Most all Finish reamers today have the throat cut built in. It will cut the throat first before lengthening  the chamber.

you can also get a throating reamer to do it.. they are around $40 verses the $80 for a finish reamer.

I like Manson reamers but most all of the major brands are excellent. comes down to customer service for me
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next