Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube?

+4
Wobbley
joy2shoot
Chris Miceli
AllAces
8 posters

Go down

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? Empty How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:20 pm

Pistol Shooting Techniques

Found on YouTube

Source: Ten Metre Air Pistol Shooting Basics, by Ishaan Dhillon 
https://youtu.be/2UR_GMHU5L0 
The air pistol basics seem to be adaptable to firearms. 

You have to read subtitles when you watch these, but they go into far greater detail with live action. 
Pistol Shooting Basics, by Efim Khaidurov circa 1982; 
https://youtu.be/TSW1sFMCMCs 

Rapid-Fire Pistol Shooting Basics, by Efim Khaidurov circa 1983. 
https://youtu.be/SrVcN6Id2hA

I’d like to see the last two Russian videos re-done in English and in color. 

Ten Metre Air Pistol Shooting Basics, by Ishaan Dhillon

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? 001-Basics

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? 002-Stance-Position

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? 003-Grip

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? 004-Sighting

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? 005-Sight-Errors

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? 006-Trigger-Position

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? 007-Breathing-Triggering

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? 008-Breathing-Triggering-Graph

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? 009-Follow-Through

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? 010-Credits

Back to top Go down

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? Empty Re: How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube?

Post by AllAces Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:04 pm

About ten years ago a friend translated for me a manual written by a Russian air pistol coach. The methods in the manual appear to be the same as on YouTube. The manual was a great help with 10 meter and rimfire but less so with the 1911.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? Empty Re: How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube?

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:48 am

while precision shooting is similar in many traits some do not cross over to bullseye. If you have the ISSF shooter weenie(which i am becoming)  stance you will be blown around by the 45.  Develop your stance, your grip, your trigger finger placement.  Looking at some articles Zins has written, the AMU advanced book, pistol shooters treasury.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:41 am

I agree with Chris regarding stance.  If your feet are only shoulder width apart, the .45 will be more of a challenge to maintain balance.  However, I do agree with the diagrams statement to slightly bend away from the shooting arm to maintain a proper center of gravity even though the diagram does not show the shooter doing that.

I also like the 'Grip' diagram ... trigger pull in line with deep pocket of hand (where the gun's backstrap should be).  It would have been better if they continued it to show trigger pull in line with aiming eye.

The sighting diagrams are accurate (for iron sights of course).

I think the Trigger Position diagram is good.  I use the second position in the diagram.

The Breathing and Triggering diagram has some good points.

Follow Through is always interesting to me.  I have heard elite shooters (High Masters who shoot in the upper echelon of their class) say follow through is a waste of time and I have heard other elite shooters say follow through is very important.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:59 am

joy2shoot wrote:I agree with Chris regarding stance.  If your feet are only shoulder width apart, the .45 will be more of a challenge to maintain balance.  However, I do agree with the diagrams statement to slightly bend away from the shooting arm to maintain a proper center of gravity even though the diagram does not show the shooter doing that.

I also like the 'Grip' diagram ... trigger pull in line with deep pocket of hand (where the gun's backstrap should be).  It would have been better if they continued it to show trigger pull in line with aiming eye.

The sighting diagrams are accurate (for iron sights of course).

I think the Trigger Position diagram is good.  I use the second position in the diagram.

The Breathing and Triggering diagram has some good points.

Follow Through is always interesting to me.  I have heard elite shooters (High Masters who shoot in the upper echelon of their class) say follow through is a waste of time and I have heard other elite shooters say follow through is very important.

The shot breaks for me, i recall where the sight was when it broke, call the shot and arm comes down. I do not return to the target(maybe 1 second but probably less) usually..... unless before hand i know i'm going for another shot because of conditions.  Some people will hold for 10+ seconds after the shot is gone....i'm unclear what that does.   I should watch some standard pistol shooters during the precision stage wonder if they follow up with shots often.

Last edited by Chris Miceli on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:25 am

joy2shoot wrote: 
Depends on what you do as “follow through”.  If you bring back the gun to the target re-acquiring the sight picture, that is an exaggerated follow through and is a waste of time and energy.   The purpose of “follow through” is to train your muscles to hold the same tension until the bullet has left the barrel.  In pistol shooting that time is less than 1/100th of a second.  So the purpose is to train yourself to not relax as you squeeze the trigger.  So that level of “follow through” is important.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:49 am

Follow through is a time where you are initiating no new physical actions - therefore all your mental ability can be focused on recalling all the things that just happened and helping them from subconscious to conscious memory.
Where was dot/sight picture when shot broke?
Where do I call the shot?
How was my shot execution?
Anything I need to adjust in my next shot execution?

I find when I shoot sustained strings, I can remember less info about the last shot than when in SF.

My guess would be that those with long follow-throughs are not just being a statue for a physical benefit.

It would be interesting to know if anyone uses a mental checklist (like above) after the shot breaks and before they lower the pistol.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:01 am

Wobbley wrote:
joy2shoot wrote: 
Depends on what you do as “follow through”.  If you bring back the gun to the target re-acquiring the sight picture, that is an exaggerated follow through and is a waste of time and energy.   The purpose of “follow through” is to train your muscles to hold the same tension until the bullet has left the barrel.  In pistol shooting that time is less than 1/100th of a second.  So the purpose is to train yourself to not relax as you squeeze the trigger.  So that level of “follow through” is important.
You hit the X with your purpose of follow through statement.   I found myself relaxing the grip to soon and I got to the point I was relaxing it as the shot broke.  By making sure I used good follow through really improved my groups.  If you hold long enough to call the shot then you are not going to relax to early like i was doing.  This is a real mental game.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:48 am

Wobbley wrote:
joy2shoot wrote: 

When you are at Perry and trying to use the wind lulls to your best advantage, having the habit of coming back to the target for a potential followup shot may be a very good thing. The faster you get 10 good shots down range the less stress you put on your body. That's not much of an issue for AMU and the Marine Team. But when you are 50+ less stress on the body may mean better performance.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:45 am

Mr. Zin set me straight on trigger placement. Since I wrapped my hand around the grip more so I could put the first joint crease on the trigger, it was like night and day. I could really feel the trigger movement. With my hand farther around the grip, my control of the pistol was 100% better.

Here are the direct links to the articles.

https://www.ssusa.org/

Shooting Sports USA,

The articles by  BRIAN ZINS

SSUSA.ORG | JANUARY 2017 page 28

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/1/31/a-clinic-on-precision-pistol-fundamentals-part-i/

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? A-clinic-on-precision-pistol-fundamentals-part-i

SSUSA.ORG | FEBRUARY 2017 24

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/2/15/a-clinic-on-precision-pistol-fundamentals-part-ii/

Back to top Go down

How valid are these basics that I found on YouTube? Empty Basic fundamentals

Post by Keithcrc Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:51 am

The air pistol video had nice music, very relaxing. It all seemed correct to me. I never appreciate when they show you how not to do something though, (the sight picture examples). The clear front sight method is used because the eye cannot focus in two places at once. I believe some people could hold hard enough to remember an image (target) while switching their focus to the front sight, but nobody has grown an eye yet that can focus in two places. The crook of the trigger finger is something I learned a long time ago, but you still have to physically move the tip of the finger.
Keithcrc
Keithcrc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down