Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training time vs match time

+13
weber1b
BE Mike
Magload
mikemyers
davekp
Chris Miceli
Tim:H11
CR10X
BHeintz
Jon Eulette
dronning
robert84010
88keys
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Training time vs match time - Page 2 Empty Training time vs match time

Post by 88keys 10/19/2017, 12:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

I think the amount of time I shoot matches or match simulations vs training time might be out of balance. I shoot a 2700 most weekends, and Mon/Tues/Wed are match simulations (900 or NMC). I'm doing a lot of shooting and not seeing improvement. I get to the range maybe once or twice a week to work on specific things. What should the balance be? Should there be more focus on training? Thanks.

88keys

Back to top Go down

Training time vs match time - Page 2 Empty Re: Training time vs match time

Post by mikemyers 11/1/2017, 2:39 am

Thanks to Keith Sanderson, I've considered my "work time" to be dry-firing, and when I shoot live rounds, it's to see how well I'm doing what I should have learned.

I usually take one or two boxes of 50 rounds to the range, for a single gun, and take a lot of time shooting them.  Then I go home, satisfied or frustrated depending on the results.

For dry-fire, I follow Keith's suggestion of one minute of dry-fire, followed by one and a half minutes of rest, and do this for half an hour.  I've got an app on my phone that tells me what to do, and when, and when I've finished.  Maybe I'm not as consistent as I could be, as every time I notice I could do something better, I try it, and adopt it if it helps.  I figure all the repetition dry firing will carry over when I go to the range, and the better my habits, the better I will shoot.

For those of you who have gotten very good at this, can I ask if this is good, or should I be live-firing more/less?

Keith is incredibly good, and the ratio of 100 to 1 works for him, but I'm not convinced it's right for a shooter who isn't so good, and is still learning, even (especially?) at the range.  Following his advice, I wouldn't be firing nearly as many shots at the range.  If I dry fired 500 rounds in a week, that would be only five rounds at the range.

(The person I'm buying my next gun from does something similar to what I'm doing, and it seems to have worked well for him.  It has helped him a lot, and so far I think it's working for me.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2