Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Target Gun Tune Up

+4
PMcfall
cdrt
Olde Pilot
Axehandle
8 posters

Go down

Old Target Gun Tune Up Empty Old Target Gun Tune Up

Post by Axehandle 11/28/2017, 6:10 pm

Found a nice Clark Long Heavy Slide.  Keithville gun built in May of 1974.  Gun is nice and works good.  I'll trade for it not for competition but for history.  That being said it has not been a safe queen.  The finish is good but I'd like the slide to frame fit tightened up.  Any gunsmith recommendations?

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Old Target Gun Tune Up Empty Re: Old Target Gun Tune Up

Post by Olde Pilot 11/28/2017, 6:55 pm

Don't you see KC often in Alabama? Obvious choice for 1911.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 11/28/2017, 10:01 pm

You can always send it to Clark.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 11/29/2017, 6:15 am

KC may be a good place to start....   I want to maintain that 60s/70s paper puncher look.   Keep the original blue and Clark marking intact.  Barrel seems to lock up good.  Just slide to frame fit is a bit loose.  Expecting the old dog to shoot good.  Seems like back in the day  Clark claimed 1/2 inch better 50 yard groups from the long slide guns.  FWIW the one long slide Clark 45 I have owned had the half rib that stopped at the ejection port.  Never put it in a rest but I did not shoot it well off hand.  Pictures when I get it bailed out.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 11/29/2017, 9:05 am

Clark will tighten up and tune up any of their pistols for a flat fee.  It was $175 last time I sent one of mine in but that's been a few years so it might be higher now.  Helluva deal.

As far as Clark's accuracy guarantee, I think for regular 1911's is was 3 inches or less while the longslide was maybe 2 1/2 inches.
Phil

Last edited by PMcfall on 11/29/2017, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 11/29/2017, 9:10 am

I would think twice before sending it to Clark and I will find the thread on another forum that will indicate why.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 11/29/2017, 9:20 am

I have had Clark tuneup mine several times and was always pleased.  However, I have not had them tuneup any since Jim Jr passed.  
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 11/29/2017, 10:09 am

Not passing judgement for other:s, for info:
Please see the link below.

Last edited by Gary Wells on 12/1/2017, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/29/2017, 10:38 am

Accuracy Tuner guns benefit from re-tightening frame to slide fit. Typically the barrel will seat deeper into slide lugs afterwards requiring readjustment of the tuner. Helps reduce upper barrel lug wear and slows down the slide a little bit on recoil. My 1st BE pistol was a Clark longslide 45. I rebarreled it 3x and wore it out. They can be great pistols.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 11/30/2017, 9:43 am

Gary Wells
I would like to read the info on the links you provided, but they don't go anywhere for me.
Thanks
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 12/1/2017, 12:25 pm

I still haven't figured out how all of this happened, but I'm pretty sure this is the link that you're referring to:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=863585

Sounds like a very good reason for putting exactly what is desired in writing, to go along with a gun when it's sent in, so there is less chance of confusion.

I doubt most "gun people" are very much into "websites".

I don't doubt the people at Clark are good people, trying to do their best (said, from personal experience).

I also think that if the gun is/was collectable, the owner should have left it as-is.  

...too much confusion, from all involved...

Nothing I read here would make me thinking sending a gun back to Clark for re-tuning is a bad idea, although they may not be the best at "recreating history".
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 12/3/2017, 5:45 am

Communication...  Always the best answer.  Don't think I'd ever send a restoration project to just anyone.  Looking over this thread I'm thinking I'll send Jon a PM to see if it would consider looking this one over and tightening the slide to frame a bit for me...

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 12/3/2017, 1:37 pm

Sent a 5" S&W 627PC revolver to CCG in 2013 with parts and instructions on what i wanted done.  Received the pistol back with the same parts in the box and a note saying the parts were incorrect for the pistol and the revolver was fine; was charged accordingly.  No phone calls or contact was made prior to them sending the pistol back...  Evidently fitting an extractor star, adjusting end shake, and installing an oversized cylinder stop was beyond their abilities.

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down