Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic

+13
estuck
Froneck
Wobbley
SW-52
messenger
rreid
JD Mahan
LenV
jglenn21
Jon Eulette
robert84010
Chris Miceli
lablover
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

springfield armory - Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic  Empty Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic

Post by lablover Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:04 pm

sent my 45 slide to KC to have a rail installed for a dot so it’s on the way to becoming a wad gun.  I’d like to give Cmp/Eic a try but another 1911is not in the budget. I do however have a Springfield XDM 9mm that shoots pretty well and would like to ask any here that have tried it what you had to do to make it competitive as well as and more importantly what loads you find work best.  I reload so I can reload anything.  I’m shooting 147 zeros and having pretty good luck but never tested at any real distances.

Perfect world I’d get another RO but that’s money i could use for powder, and bullseye stuff i still want. Like a new 9000 sc. Laughing

Look forward to any and all advice in this Cmp quest.

Joe
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

springfield armory - Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic  Empty Re: Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic

Post by Chris Miceli Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Adam was in the top few spots with an XDM last year I believe. I would recommend a trigger job and a gunsmith fit kkm barrel. Do a search on the xdm should see some test targets

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

springfield armory - Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic  Empty Re: Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic

Post by robert84010 Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:47 pm

definitely put in a Springer trigger set. after that try a 115gr bullet and the 147gr and see what you shoot best. big difference in felt recoil so go with what you shoot better instead of testing for the "magical load."  If you have one already it will do no worse than a RO, and most likely better. honestly don't know why everybody is hung up on the RO in 9mm. nothing special there, always need a rebarrel and trigger work.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:14 pm

Stock xdm barrels shoot good afer having them welded and refit. Really no need to spend a lot of money on a xdm to be competitive. AMU used welded/refit barrels. I know shooters that used stock xdm's and made Pres 100. Just do your part!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Now to find someone that can reweld the barrel.
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:19 pm

If you know where to weld any good tig welder can do it for you.. buy him some welding wire and you'll be friends.

Making some heat sinks for the feet and chamber is not a bad idea. Also when welding the feet put the link pin in.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:40 pm

I actually bought one of these months ago to see how they are. My gunsmith has it and says the thing easily holds 10 ring at 25. He hasn't even put the trigger in or the Barsto. Says it probably doesn't need the barsto but that it will only get better. I think i paid a little over $600 on gunbroker. He gets a little deal on barsto's. the grip is a little narrower than a Beretta if a person doesn't like that grip, plus it has a couple of different inserts to try. If these are CA. legal it might be a good way to go? 
 a match EIC pistol for a under $1k is hard to beat. welding would be even cheaper. I'll probably never get it back from him since he's also building a new rules 1911. trades are good.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:38 pm

I am not sure you need to do anything to the pistol to make it competitive for EIC matches. My stock XDM shot good enough that I never did anything internally. I did have to replace the front sight. My first 8 shots out of the pistol were looking pretty good. Then the front sight fell apart. Dawson Precision makes a replacement blade that is easy to install. (25yd but was shooting SF)

First 8 shots.
springfield armory - Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic  07241610
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:53 pm

LenV wrote:I am not sure you need to do anything to the pistol to make it competitive for EIC matches. My stock XDM shot good enough that I never did anything internally. I did have to replace the front sight. My first 8 shots out of the pistol were looking pretty good. Then the front sight fell apart. Dawson Precision makes a replacement blade that is easy to install. (25yd but was shooting SF)

First 8 shots.
springfield armory - Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic  07241610

And that’s the answer i was waiting for...and from the Man!  I saw some of your posts and was hoping you would chime in.  Would you share some load data that might put me on the right track?  That load on target looks promising.

Everyone, I very much appreciate the help.  This will save me several hundred dollars I could use elsewhere.
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:20 pm

I have settled on two loads for 9mm. Since we can use any bullet weight now (EIC) I like the 147gr XTP with 5.1 gr of Power Pistol and the 115gr Zero with 6.4 gr Power Pistol. When I run out of XTP in 147 I will try some of the Zeroes. There are lots of other good loads out there but I like how clean PP burns and meters..As always YMMV

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:41 pm

LenV wrote:I have settled on two loads for 9mm. Since we can use any bullet weight now (EIC) I like the 147gr XTP with 5.1 gr of Power Pistol and the 115gr Zero with 6.4 gr Power Pistol. When I run out of XTP in 147 I will try some of the Zeroes. There are lots of other good loads out there but I like how clean PP burns and meters..As always YMMV

Len
Thanks a million Len. Helps me bunches. I have about 1000 zero 147’s so I’ll give those a try. Think I was using 3.0  titegroup with them in th past but will grab some power pistol and compare. I know the 3.0 of titegroup was a pretty light load. Going to go find some of the 115zeros as well. I assume the 115 Jhp  zero right?  Can’t hurt to try right.  I do appreciate your help sir and I thank you.

Joe

EDIT:  this is also an older XDM I believe I bought it back 4-5 years ago. Not even sure what twist it is.  I thought no I read the older xdm had a 16 twist.dunno. Not sure how that helps me in any way
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Yep. Zero #125. If you have any 4756, 6.5gr works good with the 115gr. I ran out or I might still be using it.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks Len. I think I. May actually have some. Time t go check the powder locker.  I yet have a new issue to contend with. Since now interested in bullseye I have used a dot for. My rimfire because my eyes are at that age that cause me issues..54. So irons cause me issues.  I have a set of those knoblochs from Highpower I could use but need to find the right power lens for it.  My everyday glasses are bifocals and neither script works for irons..I need like a mid range.  Anyway, time to do a search on diopter powers
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by JD Mahan Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 pm

I have never used him, but several guys around here have had trigger work done on their hks and XDms, and seem happy. On the websight he has an xdm accuracy package including welding the barrel.

Bill Springfield @ http://www.triggerwork.net/springfield-armory-xd---xdm-pistols.html

Again, no personal experience, so not a reference, more of an info post.

JD Mahan

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:51 pm

JD Mahan wrote:I have never used him, but several guys around here have had trigger work done on their hks and XDms, and seem happy. On the websight he has an xdm accuracy package including welding the barrel.

Bill Springfield @ http://www.triggerwork.net/springfield-armory-xd---xdm-pistols.html

Again, no personal experience, so not a reference, more of an info post.
I had him weld up mine. It was $49 including return shipping. He did a small weld on the bottom of the feed ramp to take out vertical play when it's in battery.springfield armory - Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic  2017-111
It seemed like the groups tightened up, shooting offhand, but I haven't worked up a good 50 yard load for it yet. 

I put in a Powder River drop in trigger kit, and that was a big improvement.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:36 am

I assume the 4.5" XDM is the only one legal for EIC and not the 5.2" XDM.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:22 am

messenger wrote:I assume the 4.5" XDM is the only one legal for EIC and not the 5.2" XDM.

Bill
XDM comp is on the Cmp approved list, which is the 5.25” model.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:28 am

Chris Miceli wrote:
messenger wrote:I assume the 4.5" XDM is the only one legal for EIC and not the 5.2" XDM.

Bill
Cool......Hey Santa, I've been good....really....

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:40 am

springfields are somenthing special,each product of this brand are made with high quality standards,Great Features and special characteristics than other firearms brand, including the 1911's like Range officers,xd,xdm,xds,etc. in my experience working in one armory here in puerto Rico, i handle colts national match,gi's,rugers,kimbers,springfield are the best and more tight fit is for springfield. are great product,high quality for less money!

Last edited by SW-52 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:43 am

messenger wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:

Bill
Cool......Hey Santa, I've been good....really....

Bill
No you haven’t.  

Santa.

springfield armory - Springfield XDM for Cmp/Eic  2309170423
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 am

Adam used the 9mm XDM in the 2016 Service Pistol match (EIC) at Perry and was 6th place with 283-8. It was the same gun he used in the Bianchi Cup production class that year. Therefore it had to comply will production rules. He did use a KKM barrel. I'm not that familiar with the Action Pistol production rules but I'm thinking that custom work is not allowed and limited to after market drop-ins or attachment.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:21 pm

I think I’m going to start it out like Len recommended and not do a thing to it.  Maybe work up some new loads. I do know it was a shooter with my titegroup load but want to try power pistol as well.  The good news is I just saved myself a nice batch of cash for other things I want to get for my new passion BE.
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:50 pm

I just got my 5.2 " XDM back from Bill Springfield. I can say that I am satisfied with his work. I like it better than my Beretta. Now if it would just warm up enough to test some loads.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by estuck Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:44 pm

I have the XDM that I set up For EIC. I went with a 4# trigger from Powder River Precision. The trigger ended up very nice. I also had them crown the barrel 11degrees, added a Dawson front sight and solid guide rod. It shoots fine, however I have very large hands, and cannot get the grip right despite the largest backstrap.  Sticking with the 1911,long trigger and trigger shoe.  Going to sell the XDM..

estuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Your better off with the 1911 estuck, it's a better gun and since CMP changed the rules and 230gr. ball is no longer required the 1911 is the way to go. The XDM is a good low cost entry level gun.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next