Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pressure "Tuning"

+12
CR10X
LenV
Aprilian
Jack H
Jon Eulette
USSR
Bullseye_Stan
robert84010
dronning
james r chapman
Wobbley
Hammbone
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pressure "Tuning" - Page 2 Empty Pressure "Tuning"

Post by Hammbone 12/5/2017, 8:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

I load for 9mm and 38spl.  I just picked up QuickLOAD and I'm going through the stages of getting acquainted and tuning powder burn rates to match my chrono results.
In the quest for the most accurate round, I've been doing lots of reading - mostly about rifles. But I figured hey, a pistol is just a really short rifle.

Ultimately, here's my question: When looking at pressure, should I tune the load to SAAMI specs, or to the BHN of the bullet (Like the "Lee Precision Modern Reloading 2nd Edition talks about).  

For 9mm I've mostly use Hi-Tek coated hard cast lead bullets, but recently started experimenting with Xtreme copper plated bullets. Both are advertised having a BHN of 18. Which upon linearly interpolating Lee's chart, gives me a compressive strength of 22,980psi.  Obviously SAAMI max pressure is 35,000psi for 9mm.

Side Note: The other think I'm looking at is barrel dwell time. I'm looking to see if it correlates to the resonance frequency of my barrel. I've calculated it using the "closed pipe" method.  3F = 0.512ms. I have a load that has a 0.522ms barrel time that is VERY accurate. Problem is, it's too slow to meet power factor for IDPA or IPSC if I ever get a chance to compete. -I digress.... this is a topic for another thread.

Hammbone

Back to top Go down

Pressure "Tuning" - Page 2 Empty Re: Pressure "Tuning"

Post by fpk 12/12/2017, 8:18 am

Wouldn't the bushing on a 1911 barrel make the "resonance" theories as applied to free floated rifle barrels at least completely different, or even non-applicable? 

Also having been in the benchrest game, this stuff does make sense for a free floated barrel, but the practitioners of this theory tend to use tuners and not a calculated barrel length. Now there is certainly a long and rich history of load tuning that is done, but again, experimentally determined on a per setup (gun w/installed barrel), by setup, basis. Even in this system, there are several elements that effect the ultimate accuracy of the rifle that are beyond any model I have ever heard discussed.  Things like erosion of the lands, torque on barrel, temperature/humidity, etc. make it currently impossible to calculate the behavior or this system down to benchrest accuracy, which is thousands of an inch in a five shot, five target aggregate. 

Finally, it is pretty clear that we are so far from that level of accuracy with pistols that none of this matters.

fpk

http://brazosprecision.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 12/12/2017, 10:31 am

To the origonal post: 

First off, like CR said, pistols aren’t short rifles. They behave differently. Everything behaves differently. Two barrels cut from the same chunk of steel made one after the next on the same machines by the same guy won’t behave the same. Maybe close. 

Looking for pressure and dwell time and frequencies and all this technical data may be interesting and useful in its own way some how but at the end of the day all you simply need is a load that groups good in your gun. 

You can try different powders and amounts of powder and bullets and seat depth but “will it group?” Is all that matters. Power factor: ok - but that’s a different sport ... velocity... nice to know but again if you have a good load in theory on paper but it doesn’t group then what good is it? 

Load, test, shoot, analyze, change one variable, repeat. Don’t get hung up on the science. It’s a black hole not many return from.
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 12/13/2017, 4:53 pm

Rolling Eyes
Pressure "Tuning" - Page 2 20171219

To kinda quote Rober84210 "yea, it's winter"
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 12/13/2017, 6:00 pm

Len! lol!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 12/13/2017, 6:06 pm

Len I think that is going to cause standing waves if the frequency isn't right.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 12/13/2017, 9:08 pm

Not a problem Don. I have almost 3/8" I can move it back and forth to find the sweet spot.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 12/13/2017, 11:40 pm

Perhaps in 22s the different brands fire and bend the barrel in different ways to group in different places.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2