Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alliant Sport Pistol Powder

+4
Wobbley
jglenn21
RJP
knightimac
8 posters

Go down

Alliant Sport Pistol Powder Empty Alliant Sport Pistol Powder

Post by knightimac Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi All.

Does anyone use Alliant Sport Pistol powder for their 45.  What is your bullet and load?

Thinking of trying it as I'm down to my last two pounds of Bullseye.

Thanks.

Paul
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Alliant Sport Pistol Powder Empty Re: Alliant Sport Pistol Powder

Post by RJP Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:43 am

There is very little info on line, except for the Alliant website has some loading data. 

I did e-mail the company rep and he said that the burn rate is similar to American Select. This begs the question why start a new powder? The only answer I have is from their website. Sport Pistol seems to be more temperature stable and better suited for pistol shooting than the shotgun powders.

RJP

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 am

You might want to look at Target if you want a newer powder. There is a thread here about some initial testing.. a shade quicker than bullseye from reports.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 pm

This is from another forum from a person with the user name “Alliant Reloading” who apparently works for Alliant.

“ I had been using Bullseye and American Select(R) for plinking loads, but have changed exclusively to our new Sport Pistol(TM) for that application. The new powder is like a great charging version of American Select, and actually pretty much duplicates the ballistics of N320 and Win231. It is good stuff, so give that a try if you shoot pistol games.”

Not that this says it is a one-for-one replacement, but if you have a good load with these powders, you might want to give Sport Pistol a try.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm still experimenting with ASP and Zero 185 grain JHPs for a long line .45 load. For short line 9mm loads it's excellent.
I think the high volume action shooters have discovered ASP because it's hard to find now.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by BEA Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 pm

Knightimac, what bullet would you like to use?  Sport Pistol is very similar to VV320.

BEA

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:53 pm

185 grain HAP, XTP or Nosler.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:41 pm

ASP was engineered to compete with N320 (at half the cost) and also to be safe for polymer coated lead bullets. Many of us are shooting powder coated lead bullets and Nitro based powders will attack, soften and degrade the powder paint on the base of the bullets which leads to barrel and comp fouling. Not so with ASP ( thank you very much). It's temperature stable and my testing so far has shown it's a direct drop in replacement for n320. It also has single digit SD numbers. It is also the cleanest powder I've ever used!!! Powder Valley has it in stock the last time I checked.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Has anyone tried ASP for 38?  I just tested some 38 wadcutters with 2.75 and 2.9 gr.  Average velocity with 10 shot groups was 697 and 712 (with 2.75gr) and 701 and 706 with 2.9. The standard deviations seemed high, 49, 37, 42, and 20?  I’ve just started loading 38 wadcutter, was using mixed nickel plated brass and Remington 148 gr wadcutters. I plan to load the next batch using Photo Escapes stepped PTU die, wadcutter brass, and 3.2 gr powder.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down