Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aimpoint is on the way. Need load suggestions to start

+2
zanemoseley
lablover
6 posters

Go down

Aimpoint is on the way. Need load suggestions to start Empty Aimpoint is on the way. Need load suggestions to start

Post by lablover Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:01 pm

KC has the slide done and it should be on its way any day.  Aimpoint 9000sc on the way as well.  Good friend recommended starting with 4.0 BE with my current 190 gr swc lead bullet.  Also recommended 11 lb spring to start with.

Any other recommendations on loads or anything else I need to look out for?  Pistol is RO with all the mainspring junk take out and replaced.  How are the rings that come with the 9000sc?

I’m so looking forward to this finally going together

Thanks gents

Joe
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Aimpoint is on the way. Need load suggestions to start Empty Re: Aimpoint is on the way. Need load suggestions to start

Post by zanemoseley Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:57 pm

I dislike the rings that come with the 9000sc, they didn't fit some of my rails well which led to me rotating the clamp plate, this made it fit better but the cross bolt went in at more of an angle which made it easy to strip. Once my first clamp plate stripped my confidence went out the window. I replaced the rings with aluminum rings with steel inserts for the cross bolts, now pretty much no chance of stripping.

So on my 1911/45 made by Jon with rear serrations only, Marvel full length aluminum rail and a 10# variable spring here are my loads.

Magnus #801 185 grain, 4.2 WST
H&G 68 home cast 185 grain 4.5 WST

The Magnus has a much longer bearing surface so builds more pressure. 4.1 WST worked fine in warmer weather, practicing in the cold convinced me to go to 4.2.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Aimpoint is on the way. Need load suggestions to start Empty Re: Aimpoint is on the way. Need load suggestions to start

Post by lablover Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:02 pm

zanemoseley wrote:I dislike the rings that come with the 9000sc, they didn't fit some of my rails well which led to me rotating the clamp plate, this made it fit better but the cross bolt went in at more of an angle which made it easy to strip. Once my first clamp plate stripped my confidence went out the window. I replaced the rings with aluminum rings with steel inserts for the cross bolts, now pretty much no chance of stripping.

So on my 1911/45 made by Jon with rear serrations only, Marvel full length aluminum rail and a 10# variable spring here are my loads.

Magnus #801 185 grain, 4.2 WST
H&G 68 home cast 185 grain 4.5 WST

The Magnus has a much longer bearing surface so builds more pressure. 4.1 WST worked fine in warmer weather, practicing in the cold convinced me to go to 4.2.
Outstanding.  Thank you sir
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 pm

If you replace the rings take a look at the Vortex Hunter 30 mm low. They are 2.7 ounces stock or 2.6 ounces if you sand down the huge steel nuts that go on the cross bolts. The 9000SC stock rings are 2.4 ounces.

Also if you don't know Bullseye usually burns a bit hotter than WST so start .2-.3 grains lower than my loads if using BE.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 pm

I can run 3.4 gr BE with 200gr lswc with the 9000. Make sure you crimp'em or they won't make enough pressure to run. I use 0.465"
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:51 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I can run 3.4 gr BE with 200gr lswc with the 9000. Make sure you crimp'em or they won't make enough pressure to run. I use 0.465"
Jon
Great info. My buddy also crimps at .464 and has great accuracy
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:01 pm

I'm at .469" currently. Might try tighter at some point but I'm not messing with it now. A 200 grain bullet will naturally create more pressure than a 185/190 weight, bearing surface and alloy composition will affect it as well. Jon also has wrists of steel, that doesn't hurt either.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:13 am

Since we're talking crimps.   My Ransom Rest test targets from Roddy Toyota stated his 200gr #68 bullets were crimped at .460". Shocked    What's with that?   I normally crimp at .469" with my .452" cast SWC's.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:34 am

It means Roddy used a heavy crimp. Try your normal load with crimps ranging from 469 to 460. Use .003 increments and see what shoots best.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:27 am

USSR wrote:Since we're talking crimps.   My Ransom Rest test targets from Roddy Toyota stated his 200gr #68 bullets were crimped at .460". Shocked    What's with that?   I normally crimp at .469" with my .452" cast SWC's.

Don
When was it the test target shot?  They used softer lead years ago and many shooters crimped @ .460.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:56 pm

dronning wrote:
USSR wrote:Since we're talking crimps.   My Ransom Rest test targets from Roddy Toyota stated his 200gr #68 bullets were crimped at .460". Shocked    What's with that?   I normally crimp at .469" with my .452" cast SWC's.

Don
When was it the test target shot?  They used softer lead years ago and many shooters crimped @ .460.

- Dave
Test target was fired 2 years ago.   The load was 4.2gr of BE.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Aimpoint showed up today. Slide will be here Tuesday. Wooohooo. Looks like she will be ready to go for Thursday practice.
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down