Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lee Factory Crimp Die Sticking

+7
gregbenner
dronning
STEVE SAMELAK
james r chapman
SmokinNJokin
Multiracer
estuck
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

crimp - Lee Factory Crimp Die Sticking - Page 2 Empty Lee Factory Crimp Die Sticking

Post by estuck 12/30/2017, 3:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

With the outside temps here in Michigan at a balmy 10 degrees I thought I would load up some .45 today. I started getting cases sticking in my Lee factory crimp die in my 550. I am using new Starline brass, Zero 185gr JHP. Crimping at .469. I took the die apart and cleaned it well. Reset everything and the first 10 rounds or so were ok then it progressively start sticking again. It is holding the crimps size well. I am also using a Uniqetek toolhead. Anyone have a suggestion?

estuck

Back to top Go down

crimp - Lee Factory Crimp Die Sticking - Page 2 Empty Re: Lee Factory Crimp Die Sticking

Post by Doug Tiedt 1/7/2018, 12:31 pm

SmokinNJokin wrote:
Jack H wrote:I tried the Lee FC die for a while.  No more.
The crimp part inside shreds the case mouth.  Poor machining IMO
And I see no need to resize the round.
(and I broke the carbide on one using it as a push through)
 +1 my experience exactly with the LEE FCD. It re-sizes brass down to minimum spec. Much smaller than needed for a match .45, in the name of 'reliability' (this is a band-aid for using wildly varying brass in a bunch of different guns and making sure it will always chamber and go bang. Also geared toward bulge-busting for unsupported chambers like glock and others). There is just no need for it in a 1911 bullseye gun.

Keep sizing with the .45 colt die though. If sized brass fits in the chamber of your pistol with no resistance, it is not a problem. The lee FCD is the problem, it is re-sizing your brass down to minimum spec, much smaller than needed. Go back to your dillon crimp die, that will solve the problem guranteed.

Using a .45 colt sizing die, .45 colt expander, .45 acp seating die, and .45 acp crimp die, my press runs smooth as butter and I haven't seen a SINGLE lead or brass shaving in a long, long time.

I wanted to say thanks also, as I have been reading this thread for a concern I had.

I am using the Lee 45acp carbide die set, which includes a crimping die on an RCBS single stage press.  After crimping Zero JHPs to 0.468, I would see a
slight ring around the case, about 3/8" below the case mouth.  I checked the bullet width right above the crimp and it was 0.447.  Out of the box, I
measured 0.451 at the same point on the bullet.  I haven't measured the bullet width after seating, that was to be my next step in the investigation. 

Based on what a few of you are saying, the LFC is re-sizing my bullet.  Looks like a Dillon crimp die is in my future as well.  Is this considered the best
or are there other options as well?

Thank you,
Doug

Last edited by Doug Tiedt on 1/7/2018, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doug Tiedt

Back to top Go down

crimp - Lee Factory Crimp Die Sticking - Page 2 Empty Re: Lee Factory Crimp Die Sticking

Post by SmokinNJokin 1/7/2018, 1:16 pm

Doug, the redding crimp die is excellent as well, but if you want an inexpensive option a combination crimp/seating die with the bullet seater removed works well, Lee, RCBS, most brands. It may also be possible to remove the carbide ring from the FCD, not sure.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2