Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruger Mk IV Trigger

+3
MarkOue
Wobbley
Boxturtle
7 posters

Go down

Ruger Mk IV Trigger Empty Ruger Mk IV Trigger

Post by Boxturtle 1/14/2018, 11:30 am

Today I installed a Volquartsen trigger kit in my Ruger Mk IV.  NRA precision pistol rules, require that the magazine disconnect be retained.  However, I could not get the Volquartsen parts to work with the Ruger hammer.  With the Volquartsen sear, disconnect (trigger bar), and trigger, the Ruger hammer could not be positioned so that it would cock.  The Volquartsen hammer on the other hand, dropped right in and functioned perfectly.

I'm going to use the Volquartsen parts until I get  caught and the match official disqualifies my gun.  At that time I will switch to my Ruger Mk II to finish the match, and when I get home I will remove the Volquartsen parts.  Then I will polish the Ruger sear and hammer notch and reinstall the factory parts.

Why can't Volquartsen design a hammer that will retain the magazine disconnect so we can use their parts legally in competition?  I've written to them, as this is unsatisfactory.  I'll let you know what they say.
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Ruger Mk IV Trigger Empty Re: Ruger Mk IV Trigger

Post by Wobbley 1/14/2018, 12:13 pm

I believe magazine disconnects may be removed under NRA rules?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkOue 1/14/2018, 12:46 pm

For EIC Service Pistol the safety must be functional.  For NRA competitions, why would a safety need to be functional on a devoted target pistol?

MarkOue

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/14/2018, 1:00 pm

Magazine safeties are not considered safeties and are not required to remain functional. 3.7

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/rules/rul_precision_pistol_16.pdf
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 7/28/2018, 5:40 am

LenV wrote:Magazine safeties are not considered safeties and are not required to remain functional. 3.7

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/rules/rul_precision_pistol_16.pdf
Just my 2 cents I think on the Mark III you have to keep the Chamber indicator. 

In the Mark 4 removing the Mag Disco is ok because it is not a safety.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/28/2018, 10:45 am

rich.tullo wrote:
LenV wrote:Magazine safeties are not considered safeties and are not required to remain functional. 3.7

I don't think the chamber indicator is considered a safety under 3.7 either.

The rule refers to safeties that prevent the firing pin from unintentionally contacting the cartridge causing discharge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 7/28/2018, 10:59 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
rich.tullo wrote:

I don't think the chamber indicator is considered a safety under 3.7 either.

The rule refers to safeties that prevent the firing pin from unintentionally contacting the cartridge causing discharge.

Mag disconnect is not an operational safety nor is the chamber indicator

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 7/28/2018, 2:22 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:Mag disconnect is not an operational safety nor is the chamber indicator

Exactly.  Chris beat me to it.  Both can go away under CMP or NRA rules.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 7/28/2018, 8:50 pm

All I know is two things after working on a Ruger. 

1) Bill Ruger had some sense of humor when he invented that gun because only a man with a sense of humor can do some of things he did in that design. He must of said to himself, "Well I can do this this way, or I can do this that way and drive people nuts. LMOA"

2) After doing a trigger job and looking at the extra parts, I do not feel entirely right.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down