Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRA Pistol Rules

+3
Bullseye_Stan
Steve B
Boxturtle
7 posters

Go down

NRA Pistol Rules Empty NRA Pistol Rules

Post by Boxturtle 1/15/2018, 7:13 am

In another thread I asked a question related to the rules pertaining to magazine disconnects.  Wobbley, Markoue and LenV all responded that the removal is permitted, with LenV quoting the rules in support of their position.  However, in perusing the forum I see lots of others claim the removal of the magazine disconnect disqualifies the pistol.  I'm inclined to agree with LenV.

Does anyone have a definitive answer? 
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

NRA Pistol Rules Empty Re: NRA Pistol Rules

Post by Steve B 1/15/2018, 7:34 am

You'll need to contact the NRA for a definitive answer.  3.7 talks about internal safeties SUCH AS... then goes on to list examples but not a complete list, magazine safeties probably fall under that.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan 1/15/2018, 7:45 am

Perhaps it would be best to read the rules, then ask questions about interpretation?  Bullseye is now called Precision Pistol.  Here is the NRA rulebook site: http://rulebooks.nra.org/

Edit: This was and is not intended to be a 'snarky' response.  If it was interpreted that way, then my apologies.  But, if one doesn't know the details (and changes) of the specific rules they are addressing, I think it's impossible to get an accurate answer.

Edit II: Here are the updated (2016) changes to the NRA precision pistol rulebook for operational safeties copied and pasted from:http://rulebooks.nra.org/

3.7 Operational Safeties
-
These safeties will include:
1.Manual safety operated by the shooter while handling the firearm
 2.Grip safety operated by normal holding of the firearm
 3.Drop safeties incorporated to prevent discharge if the firearm is accidentally dropped
 4. Internal safeties such as transfer bars, firing pin blocks, hammer blocks, and half cock notches, when installed in firearms as originally manufactured.

Last edited by Bullseye_Stan on 1/15/2018, 9:37 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added comment)

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 1/15/2018, 7:58 am

You will see different responses depending on when the question was asked.  (Things have changed over time.) 

Prior to the recent addition of:

3.7 Operational Safeties - These safeties will include: 1. Manual safety operated by the shooter while handling the fi rearm 2. Grip safety operated by normal holding of the firearm 3. Drop safeties incorporated to prevent discharge if the firearm is accidentally dropped 4. Internal safeties such as transfer bars, firing pin blocks, hammer blocks, and half cock notches, when installed in firearms as originally manufactured.

The only guiding language in previous versions of the rule book was in the equipment descriptions which included (and still includes) the requirement: 

"All standard safety features of guns must operate properly."

Prior to the addition of 3.7, magazine disconnects were generally considered safety "devices"; and indeed many manufacturers still advertise a "magazine disconnect" option as a "safety feature". 

The NRA appears to be trying to clarify the issue with rule 3.7.  Unfortunately, the "...Internal safeties such as..." still leaves some cloud because of the "...such as..." language. 

I believe the NRA issued a clarification or interpretation somewhere (or it was discussed during the rule drafting) to the point that "disconnect" was not a "safety"; and so 3.7 did not include the "magazine disconnect" feature, but I cannot find it now.

If anyone has this information or can get it, please post it.

Thank you. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 1/15/2018, 8:22 am

I think part of your confusion is coming from when the rule wasn’t clear and the general idea was that if you disabled a magazine disconnect you disqualify the gun. There was a lot  F questions to this and answers on the web forum here. 

Now that the rule has been written in a clear form listing what’s allowed and what’s not allowed it is clear that a magazine disconnect being disabled does not disqualify the gun anymore. Many people shooting a Ruger MKIII Pistol were happy about that. 

Find the most current rules, and adhere to those.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 1/15/2018, 10:22 am

OK, I'll add a few cents here:

In the competitor meeting at Camp Perry in July 2017 this was discussed, with the NRA taking the stance that removal of magazine disconnectors was allowed.  Since it was felt that the rule book wording was insufficient, a suggestion for inclusion of new wording was submitted.  If the new wording is adopted, it should show up in the next printing of rules or changes.  In any case, my word of the NRA stance is insufficient and we should look for written guidance from NRA.

Personally, I think we should stop using the term "safety" when referring to magazine disconnectors.  I feel they are the opposite of safe when requiring a magazine to be in the gun to dry fire.

When faced with dry firing these types of guns, I opt to disassemble a magazine and insert the empty tube to defeat the disconnector while allowing for uninhibited slide/bolt cycling.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 1/15/2018, 10:50 am

Thanks Ed!  I think I was talking with one of the referees after the meeting and that where I got the interpretation on the 3.7 wording as it relates to magazine disconnects and the NRA interpretation / intention.  

Cecil

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle 1/15/2018, 5:07 pm

I have written to the NRA, and will report back if they provide an answer.
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 1/15/2018, 5:39 pm

How old are you now ?
lol!

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle 1/15/2018, 5:54 pm

Smile Good one.