Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil or grease suggestions..

+2
inthebeech
Historian1972
6 posters

Go down

Oil or grease suggestions.. Empty Oil or grease suggestions..

Post by Historian1972 6/12/2012, 2:08 pm

I am trying to find a good choice for oil or grease for my 1911's. Along the lines I see guys using different oils and greases and I am always wondering what they are using. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by Historian1972 on 6/12/2012, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Historian1972
Historian1972

Back to top Go down

Oil or grease suggestions.. Empty Re: Oil or grease suggestions..

Post by inthebeech 6/12/2012, 4:28 pm

I wouldn't mix oil and grease:lol:

Lightweight, synthetic motor oil.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Historian1972 6/12/2012, 4:41 pm

Not an actual mixture, just wondering what kind of oil and or grease shooters use.

Historian1972
Historian1972

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 6/13/2012, 10:45 am

I use FP-10 on my bullseye pistols. I use Shooter's Choice Hi Tech grease for other firearms. I especially like it for hinges on air guns and shotguns.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 6/13/2012, 12:57 pm

I found the best oil i ever have used, Miltec1, this stuff is amazing on guns, the hotter a gun gets the more this oil impregnates the metal. You can also condition parts by heating with a heat gun and applying it. I did it to my hammer and sear and they feel like glass now. This oil also does not separate like many of the so called top brands.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris_D 6/13/2012, 6:30 pm

Just use oil - any type of oil. All this nonsense about specially formulated oil with application on heated metals is nonsense. Think about it with a bit of common sense. A gun only gets so hot, even after a hundred rounds of rapid fire my 1911 is still cool enough to touch.

A gun is made of alloy steel (stainless is a bit more sensitive), all you need is a bit of oil (motor oil, gun oil, whatever oil) to keep the sliding parts wet and lubricated. Don't get caught up in all the b.S. about special oils. I put 10,000 rounds through my custom 1911 (Clark custom from the 70s) in the last year using just plain rem oil or engine oil, whatever I had on hand.

As far as special oils that penetrate the "Hot steel", I ask this question, since when does steel have pores that open up when hot and allow oil to seep in? Basic oils have been used on far more complex and demanding machinery than guns for hundreds of years and it has worked fine thus far. Your car's engine is under much more severe conditions that your gun is, it plain motor oil works for your car, it will work for your gun.

Chris (Sorry for the rant)

Chris_D

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 6/14/2012, 10:49 am

Believe what you want, but there are oils that work better than others. I heat treated my hammer and sear, heating with a heat gun and coating with militec and it is way smoother than with any other oil ive used.
Here is what Militec claims;
[Synthetic-based metal conditioner provides constant,
self-lubricating protection for your metal parts to ensure reliable
functioning in extreme conditions. Actually becomes part of the
metal; the heat from normal firing of your gun molecularly bonds
the material to the gun metal:]
Here is a news investigation sighting the great performance of militec. I dont own anything to do with this product, just trying to pass on a good product for our sport to the shooters.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 6/14/2012, 1:44 pm

Many years ago, there was a thread on the old Bullseye-L list about the use of WD-40. It got wild and wooly. I hope that this doesn't turn into something similar. The OP just wanted an idea of what oils and greases folks use. Everyone has their favorites and fortunately there are a wide variety to choose from at all different prices. There is "Ed's Red" too. I'm sure that the OP can decide which one(s) will work best for him.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 6/14/2012, 2:16 pm

WD40, isnt a oil, so doubt this will turn into that. The op asked and looks like some of us answered, its up to him if he chooses to use any of the information provided.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris_D 6/16/2012, 7:48 am

Perhaps my rant hid my point. A gun does not require "Super Duper, whiz bang" lubes. A simple oil will suffice just fine. Just as the O.P. noted, all along the line you will see just about everything used and just about anything will work fine.

Using grease in a cold climate certainly could be a sticky mess that could cause the slide to not move freely enough to cycle. In the hot summer heat oils may appear to be more "thin" and thus run off the gun more freely. However, if there is an oil film between two sliding surfaces, the surfaces are lubricated.

The insides of a car engine or lawnmower engine get a lot hotter than your guns, so if motor oil works there, it will be fine on the gun. Gun oils have been around for years, they too will work fine.

The WD-40 debate I will leave alone - I have found it to work great in many applications but never used it for lubricating a gun, however, I have used it to clean a gun.

Chris

Chris_D

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 6/16/2012, 11:13 am

Chris,

For a guy who doesn't want a discussion on WD-40 you sure mention WD-40 alot......WD-40......WD-40.....Laughing

I use plain ol' Hoppes gun oil in the summer heat, and rem oil in the winter when it's below 60' in the range. I still hit the barrel with some Hoppes when it's cold.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 6/18/2012, 2:58 pm

Well since oil is just oil, the best thing is to just go to walmart and buy a qt of 10w30 that should last you a lifetime.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down