Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultradot HD-Micro.

+12
Froneck
MarkOue
tceva
LenV
Lightfoot
Oleg G
SW-52
UtahDave
willnewton
dronning
Bigtrout
Amati
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ultradot HD-Micro. Empty Ultradot HD-Micro.

Post by Amati 1/18/2018, 10:43 pm

Ultradot offers the HD-Micro which is small and lightweight and has a built-in rail clamp system.  Will this work well for Bullseye? 

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_019.htm

BTW my eyesight is very good and I can see the front sight in great  clarity.

Amati

Back to top Go down

Ultradot HD-Micro. Empty Re: Ultradot HD-Micro.

Post by Bigtrout 1/19/2018, 7:54 am

I've had 2 of them on my revolver.  Both went south after approx. 1000 rounds. The first time it happened Ud offered me a new one and that performed the same way.  The innards seem too fragile to hold zero for the recoil of lightly loaded 9mm.  The second one was replaced by a Matchdot II which I have yet to take to the our frozen range.  I'd recommend looking at other options.  FWIW.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/19/2018, 8:09 am

Bigtrout wrote:I've had 2 of them on my revolver.  Both went south after approx. 1000 rounds. The first time it happened Ud offered me a new one and that performed the same way.  The innards seem too fragile to hold zero for the recoil of lightly loaded 9mm.  The second one was replaced by a Matchdot II which I have yet to take to the our frozen range.  I'd recommend looking at other options.  FWIW.
+1

I had one on a 22 the dot was never round and in the end the zero would shift, it's sitting in a drawer, replaced by an Aimpoint H2 (edit: actually it's an H1) I got a deal on.
-Dave

Last edited by dronning on 1/19/2018, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 1/19/2018, 8:30 am

My buddy has one on his backup .22 that he never shoots. He prefers his MDII hugely over the HD micro.

My own impression after just looking through it is that I like the view through the regular Ultradot better and a MDII even better. It will also never touch the quality of my three Aimpoints.

It is not that it is bad in my experience, just that it is easier to buy better stuff. Smile
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Tbone62 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Amati 1/19/2018, 9:06 am

I'm sure glad I asked and I'm rushing to investigate the Aimpoint. Thank you.

Amati

Back to top Go down

Post by UtahDave 1/19/2018, 9:19 am

Since the OP opened the door to discuss dot scopes, what about the Primary Arms or Holsun scopes?  I'm confused as to which model would be best for a BE pistol, say 1911.  They are a lot les expensive than the Aimpoint but do they hold up?  

http://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+Red-Dots

Dave

UtahDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Amati 1/19/2018, 10:03 am

Amati wrote:I'm sure glad I asked and I'm rushing to investigate the Aimpoint. Thank you.

Just finished checking, looks nice, has good reviews and costs quite a bit more. Does it really bring that much more value?

BTW how long does it take to zero these things if one must remove them in order to clean the gun?

Amati

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 1/19/2018, 11:25 am

UtahDave wrote:Since the OP opened the door to discuss dot scopes, what about the Primary Arms or Holsun scopes?  I'm confused as to which model would be best for a BE pistol, say 1911.  They are a lot les expensive than the Aimpoint but do they hold up?  

http://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+Red-Dots

Dave
primary arms have excellent reputation. i put one in my High standard with totts sunshades ,available on kc's kustom creations store. for 1911 i will go with aimpoint H1.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 1/19/2018, 11:41 am

Remember guys, a .22 LR may give some dot sights a much longer life than a center fire would.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 1/19/2018, 2:01 pm

I have two Primary Arms sights. They work very well on a .22 pistol but for me, did not hold up on a 1911. One had the screw on the mount strip because of recoil and the other started turning off after almost every other shot. Moving the brightness dial to the next setting and back would restore the dot but it disappears again. So, for a centerfire gun, my preference is a 1" Ultradot or another quality tube sight.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot 1/19/2018, 3:36 pm

My son Jarrod runs a UD micro on his Ruger mk ii.  My other son has a Holosun on his Buckmark.  I've got a Primary Arms on my AA conversion.  I think the UD has more time in service and has worked fine.  The other 2 are new to us and we will see how they hold up.  On 22's I think they'll be fine.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Amati 1/19/2018, 6:48 pm

Oleg G wrote:I have two Primary Arms sights. 

Do you have the model name/part # handy?

Amati

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/19/2018, 8:09 pm

I lost the elevation dial the first shot and lost the windage dial on about the third on my Ultradot 4dot.Then switched to a Matchdot II. The windage plate fell off right away but elevation knob is raised and it and the scope has held up for about 100 rounds. I consider that all the testing it would ever need. They do need to put better glue on the little up/down left/right markers. 

Ultradot HD-Micro. Fullsi10
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 1/19/2018, 8:22 pm

Amati wrote:
Oleg G wrote:I have two Primary Arms sights. 

Do you have the model name/part # handy?
I have these: 

Primary Arms Micro Red Dot Sight w/ Removable Base - 2 MOA Dot MD-RBGII. I bought them in 2016 and they may be discontinued now.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Amati 1/19/2018, 10:24 pm

I have these: 

Primary Arms Micro Red Dot Sight w/ Removable Base - 2 MOA Dot MD-RBGII. I bought them in 2016 and they may be discontinued now.

Appears to be a current product but currently out of stock. No wonder at that price: 
 http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-micro-dot-with-removable-base-eta-early-july-2016-md-rbgii

I'll leave my Email and if they get them back I'll get two,  one for my air gun and another for the .22lr.

Amati

Back to top Go down

Post by tceva 1/20/2018, 5:38 am

I am not seeing much negative about the Aimpoints H-1/H-2.
You do get what you pay for.  I have a drawer stuffed with 
others.  my .02
Alex
tceva
tceva

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkOue 1/20/2018, 6:16 am

Amati wrote:
BTW how long does it take to zero these things if one must remove them in order to clean the gun?

I shoot a 20 year old Adco dot sight on a 20 year old Pardini SP-22.  I don't have to remove it to clean the gun but I do take it off when I shoot the iron sights in .22 EIC and practice for that.  I shoot the dot indoors.  

I have very little to no change in zero between removing and replacing the Adco.  I placed a strip of blue painter's tape in the top of the pistol's rib to establish a reference point to properly re-install the dot on the rib.  Oh, when I said little change I mean a change from center X to tight 10.  Not bad for an inexpensive 20 year old dot.

Now, the above stated, I use a Aimpoint 9000SC on my .45 wadgun and have a new Aimpoint H-1 Micro to reduce the weight on top of my rib.  I'm thinking of buying another H-1 for my Neslon .22 conversion.  

Think about scopes on magnum handgun.  I use lifetime guaranteed Leupolds. I also have an old Redfield that still holds its zero.  Would I put a cheap scope on my 460 S&W or 10mm 1911?  Heck no.  The cheap scope would loose zero just when for the first time in my life I get a shot at a trophy deer.  If Nightforce made pistol scopes I'd replace the Leupolds.  

The cheap dot will of course loose zero when when you are otherwise shooting well at a regional or the Nationals.  If I loose points I want it to be my fault, not the fault of the gun or sights. 

As the more experienced shooters on this board say, "Buy once, cry once."

MarkOue

Back to top Go down

Post by Amati 1/20/2018, 8:17 am

Often valid adage Mark,  but an Aimpoint at ~3X the cost of the MatchDot II ?  Shocked

Amati

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 1/20/2018, 3:32 pm

AMU had the Aimpoint H1 on their guns and removed them after one season. They had a few issues develop so switched to the 9000SC. The AMU shooter shoots more in one week than most of us shoot in months so problems will develop sooner than what will occur on most of our sights. So thought the H1 will  work great it will after a while develop problems.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by L Valdez 1/20/2018, 4:12 pm

Is the AMU using the 9000SC with 2 MOA, or the 9000SC NV with 2 MOA?

L Valdez

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/20/2018, 9:23 pm

HD Micro beside a Holosun and a 9000sc next to a Sightron S33 and a 30mm Ultradot. Just to give you some real size comparisons. No Aimpoint Micros here but I do like their 3000, 7000 and 9000 series. But if I ever find myself needing another scope I would buy another Sightron S30.

Ultradot HD-Micro. Dscf0913
Ultradot HD-Micro. Dscf0815
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 1/20/2018, 10:29 pm

The AMU is using the 2moa 9000SC they don't use the NV on pistols for competition.
 I agree with LenV the Sightron scope is better than most available. The UltraDot micro I don't like the mounting, it's not correct, it's a spin off of the Weaver but it's not right. When mounting it will cant slightly, thought that not a problem but that means the vee grooves and the vee slot are not aligned correctly. I borrowed one looked it over, returned it and started looking for something better.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by L Valdez 1/20/2018, 10:52 pm

LenV and Froneck, are you both saying the Sightron S33 scope is better than either Ultra Dot?

L Valdez

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/21/2018, 12:31 am

No. Avoid the S33. The Sightron S30 is 30mm and a bunch of rings are available to fit. The S33 is a fine scope but the mounts are weak and there are zero affordable alternates to fit it's 33 mm body. But to answer the main part of the question. Yes, I prefer the S30 over the newest batch of Ultradots. No image reduction and clear round dot for me. This one  https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-s30-5-red-dot-electronic-30mm-sighting-device.html

Ultradot HD-Micro. Dscf0914
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 1/21/2018, 6:00 am

I went with Len and Frank's recommendation and bought a Sightron S-30. I'm using it on a 1911 slide mount. I like everything about it so far. Can't say that it's proven yet but I do have several hundred rounds on it with no problems.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next