Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help figuring out correct add for my Irons glasses

+12
oldsalt444
TomH_pa
jglenn21
joem5636
Mike38
Allgoodhits
Jon Eulette
Jon Math
CraigB5940
Chris Miceli
Bullseye_Stan
SmokinNJokin
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need help figuring out correct add for my Irons glasses Empty Need help figuring out correct add for my Irons glasses

Post by SmokinNJokin Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:53 am

Gentlemen,
My eyesight has deteriorated rapidly in the last year and I have found it very, very difficult to shoot iron sights. I am slightly nearsighted, and have a prescription that works beautifully for dot shooting, but is worthless for irons. I can not pick up the front sight, and my eyes dart between rear sight and target - after a 900 of irons my eyes are so exhausted they are physically sore.

I know i should just go to a doctor and get a prescription with my gun, but I really don't want to deal with that hassle and I feel like I am pretty close to dialing in my iron sights needs, just need some advice from someone who understands better how prescriptions and readers work. The low power readers I need are not available in any stores around me, so I have to order one, wait a week or 2, try it, and then order another one. They are only $10, but it's getting tedious. My last indoor 900 I had such a hard time seeing the front sight I shot a marksman score.

My prescription for right eye is:
sphere -0.50, cyl -0.50, axis 100.
This brings everything into sharp focus and for irons is not good, i can see the target so well its really hard not to look at it, especially holes. I prefer the target to be a bit blurry. The holes are so huge on 50ft targets its impossible not to look at them.

The add that has gotten me the closest to what I want is +0.5 readers. That puts the rear sight in sharp focus and the target is blurry, BUT I still have a tough time keeping the front sight in focus. I have a scratch on it to look at.

SO,
1) Should I bump down to a + .25 add and try that? I am thinking it will be a bit too strong. If I only need my focal point moved out 6 more inches, would that mean I should bump down from +.5 to a +.4 diopter?

2) If i am ordering a custom grind on the internet, should I add my astigmatism values (cyl +axis) to magnification I want? Does it really matter if all i am trying to see is the front sight post and nothing else?

Thanks for the help in advance, and just to repeat this is all to save me from 1) going to the eye doctor like I probably should, and 2) buying the not-quite right prescription again online and having to do this again in a couple weeks.

Last edited by SmokinNJokin on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected some of my backwards #s)

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Need help figuring out correct add for my Irons glasses Empty Re: Need help figuring out correct add for my Irons glasses

Post by Bullseye_Stan Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:03 am

Try using an iris.  For the (retail) price of a single pair of eyeglass frames, you can own every pistol shooting iris made.

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Need help figuring out correct add for my Irons glasses Empty Re: Need help figuring out correct add for my Irons glasses

Post by Chris Miceli Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:23 am

my correction is -.25 i was advised to add +.50 as a pistol shooter.

Last edited by Chris Miceli on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Need help figuring out correct add for my Irons glasses Empty Try this lens test strip for $35

Post by CraigB5940 Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:26 am

https://shootingsight.com/product/test-lens-frame/

It's really something you need to experiment with with test lenses over your distance prescription.
I used this and then had Art (the business owner) grind me the add on for my knoblochs.
Art has lots of special sighting products. He has also written about this subject-try the Target Talk Forum and search this topic.
If you read Norman Wong's articles he says it varies from person to person. For me it's +.75
Try these URLS for his articles-they are priceless
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks for all the info, gentlemen. Sounds like consensus is that +.75 is ideal for pistol shooters. That added to my prescription comes out to +.25, which seems to make sense. 0.5 was focused in too close.
So I swallowed the $11 to order another pair of .25 glasses.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:35 pm

I did the down and dirty method.  I had some one measure the distance from my eye to the front sight when I was in my normal shooting stance.  I then went to the local Dollar Store and tried different readers while having my wife holding a card at the distance we measured at home.  When I found the pair that gave me the crispest picture I ordered that lens for my Champion lens holder.   Worked for me.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm

I have + .5 and +.75 depending on eyes that day. Easy for short line. Long line you should try iris to keep the bull clearer.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:22 pm

Reach out to Dr. Alan Toler at www.customsightpicture.com
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:56 pm

Jon Math wrote:I did the down and dirty method.  I had some one measure the distance from my eye to the front sight when I was in my normal shooting stance.  I then went to the local Dollar Store and tried different readers while having my wife holding a card at the distance we measured at home.  When I found the pair that gave me the crispest picture I ordered that lens for my Champion lens holder.   Worked for me.

That's what I did. I wear bifocals now. I put the readers on over my current prescription glasses while doing it. Once I figured out what I needed, +1.0 readers over the top of the top half of my bifocals, I went to ebay and bought "clip on flip up" readers in +1.0 for $14. I can flip them up for scoring, loading mags, etc., then flip them down for shooting. I think that this would work better for me than trifocals, or buying specially made prescription shooting glasses.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:15 am

Like I said it’s a down and dirty way;  if I needed anything beyond simple distance correction I’d have had to find an eye doctor who is shooter friendly and work with him.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by joem5636 Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:23 am

For as little as $5 you can buy prescription glasses from various internet sources. Buy a few in + diopters for varying conditions. Be warned, the accuracy of lenses is about .25D so a +.25 and a +.75 might be the same +.50! Even the best glasses have this limitation.

joem5636

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 am

I'm with Mike38.. flip up readers work perfectly. Hated switching glasses.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:37 am

If you wear bifocals take you add and cut it half for your readers and start there
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:08 am

I think Champions Choice Shooters supply has the flip up magnifiers too

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:04 pm

See Dr. Norman Wong's articles.  He is a master class Bullseye shooter and a retired optometrist.  He knows of what he speaks. 

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Fotomaniac Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:43 am

Art Neergard at www.shootingsight.com will straighten you out quickly and accurately.  He helped me immensely.

Ymmv

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:52 am

Fotomaniac wrote:Art Neergard at www.shootingsight.com will straighten you out quickly and accurately.  He helped me immensely.

Ymmv

How so ?

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fotomaniac Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Art has a unique perspective as he is a retired optician...he also is expert at problem solving when it comes to sighting issues.  Call him up and or check out his site.  He is extremely knowledgeable.  I was having sight issue due to age, and tried the “usual” remedies like bi focal lenses from Decot using power factors like my cheaters.  Never worked out to my satisfaction...then I met Art.  The rest is history now.

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:58 pm

I know i should just go to a doctor and get a prescription with my gun, but I really don't want to deal with that hassle
I commend all those who have taken the time to respond so that you would not be burden with this hassle.  The truth of the matter is, no one knows what you would need.  I've seen an older guy needing a +0.25 add whereas a younger guy needing a +1.50 add for their best sight picture vision.

My prescription for right eye is:  sphere -0.50, cyl -0.50, axis 100
From your description, you are capable of seeing very well, perhaps even better than 20/20.  If this Rx is out of date, it should be checked again. This prescription for distance is vital on how to determine your iron sight Rx.  To get your very best shooting Rx, one would need to start with their best distance Rx.

1) Should I bump down to a + .25 add and try that? I am thinking it will be a bit too strong. If I only need my focal point moved out 6 more inches, would that mean I should bump down from +.5 to a +.4 diopter?
The term "too strong" should be thrown out.  Don't be caught up with the power of lens needed for your best sight picture. Sorry, I'm not understanding these numbers very well.  A +.4 diopter lens is not available.

The add that has gotten me the closest to what I want is +0.5 readers. That puts the rear sight in sharp focus and the target is blurry, BUT I still have a tough time keeping the front sight in focus. I have a scratch on it to look at.
Unless the astigmatism portion of your Rx is present in your shooting Rx, all adds tried would not work well.  Some may work better than others, but you would not get a lens that would work for any length of time.

Thanks for the help in advance, and just to repeat this is all to save me from 1) going to the eye doctor like I probably should, and 2) buying the not-quite right prescription again online and having to do this again in a couple weeks.
If optical products are purchased online, who would verify if the lenses are correct or not?  For the fun of it, I once picked up a Dr. Dean Edell's pair of reading glasses off the rack, put them on and immediately saw double vision.  There's no quality control.  A patient who came in for his eye exam brought in a Champion Shooting Glass lens bought from a supplier.  After checking it out, I found that the power was mislabeled.

Thanks for the kind words to CraigB5940 and oldsalt444.  "oldsalt444" sounds like an old Navy guy.

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Fotomaniac Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:11 pm

From my experience...find an optician who will let you bring your gun in...have your general checkup, once you have a current script...especially if you need distance, astigmatism correction, then you have them set up your distance lenses and sight your gun.  Add on top of this script the plus lenses until your sight comes into focus...its better if they can approximate what you see at 25/50 yards...tho not necessary...according to Art you’ll probably find that you’ll need to have your script plus .75 as you really need a script that focuses a bit further than your front sight.  Talk to Art...he’ll explain it more completely. Now with this combo...I can see and shoot like I used to when I was much younger...and hit the target!
 Ps...I actually had the doc double check all my shooting lenses and found most were not correcting the situation...cost me about $300.00 by trying to figure it out without professional guidance!  Money better spent on Ammo!

Last edited by Fotomaniac on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Ps addition)

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Art,
Thanks for taking the time out to read my whole post and understand my questions!
You are absolutely right, I originally had 20/10 (not exactly sure what it is now) and have been shooting bullseye the last six years with irons, didn't had an issue until recently. The problem is mainly my eyes tire very quickly and I can't focus on the front sight post. I also get swimmers and blurry spots that are very distracting.

My first option, of course is to go see an optometrist but I have not been able to get one to agree to let me come in with a gun. I have called ahead, been very polite and explanatory and so far everyone has said no. Unfortunately, I can't use a military doctor either as every single military medical facility has a strict no-firearms policy. So I will keep calling around. Next option will be to measure exact distance and use some sort of reader card, but that really seems to be a half-ass solution. Until then, I am trying to work this online glasses business.

My distance Rx does work well, I use it for red dot and it is perfect. I added +.75 on top of it for irons, I will try that when it arrives and hope it is better. Anything would be an improvement at this point with iron sights.

I will be at Canton and Perry this year... if you or any other optometrist will be set up there I would love to get this addressed properly.
Thanks,
Andrew

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:13 am

"oldsalt444 sounds like an old Navy guy"

You're close.  I was a vessel master in the U.S. Army for 26 years.  I'm one of those crusty old CWO4s.  I did work a lot with the Navy, though.

Last edited by oldsalt444 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot quote from previous post)
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:29 pm

SmokinNJokin wrote:Art,
Thanks for taking the time out to read my whole post and understand my questions!
You are absolutely right, I originally had 20/10 (not exactly sure what it is now) and have been shooting bullseye the last six years with irons, didn't had an issue until recently. The problem is mainly my eyes tire very quickly and I can't focus on the front sight post. I also get swimmers and blurry spots that are very distracting.

My first option, of course is to go see an optometrist but I have not been able to get one to agree to let me come in with a gun. I have called ahead, been very polite and explanatory and so far everyone has said no. Unfortunately, I can't use a military doctor either as every single military medical facility has a strict no-firearms policy. So I will keep calling around. Next option will be to measure exact distance and use some sort of reader card, but that really seems to be a half-ass solution. Until then, I am trying to work this online glasses business.

My distance Rx does work well, I use it for red dot and it is perfect. I added +.75 on top of it for irons, I will try that when it arrives and hope it is better. Anything would be an improvement at this point with iron sights.

I will be at Canton and Perry this year... if you or any other optometrist will be set up there I would love to get this addressed properly.
Thanks,
Andrew

find someone with a bandsaw, trace out that 1911, cut it out and put sights on it. maybe someone will loan an old bomar rib.

worked for Dillinger, should work for you!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:15 am

find someone with a bandsaw, trace out that 1911, cut it out and put sights on it. maybe someone will loan an old bomar rib.
Take apart your 1911 or whichever pistol you shoot; bring only the slide to your eye exam; after the exam tell the eye doctor you need to see a certain part of this surveying equipment outdoors; tell him/her that if you don't see this surveying part very well, you'll lose your job, lose your house, can't feed your family and be homeless.  Eye doctors aren't very smart!  Sad

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:17 am

my doc just made me book the last appointment and let me swing about the firearm all willy-nilly like.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next