Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?

+5
james r chapman
davekp
Blsi2600
LenV
NuJudge
9 posters

Go down

What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?   Empty What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?

Post by NuJudge Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:18 pm

I bought a Nelson conversion with irons some while ago, with a spare rail to put a red dot on it when the mood struck me.  Last summer, the Nelson people were at Camp Perry, and they sold me another barrel to mount the rail on.  I recently bought a 1 inch Ultradot to mount on the rail.  After mounting the rail to the barrel, tonight I read the directions for mounting the rings and Ultradot on the rail twice, then tried mounting it, and the tube is very slightly loose in the rings, even with both top and bottom screws scary tight on both rings.  

I tried taking everything apart, and assembling again, with the same result.  

I'm looking for suggestions.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?   Empty Re: What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?

Post by LenV Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:10 pm

I suggest throwing the vertical rings away and getting a cheap set of horizontal rings. Leupold, Simmons and Redfield all make good inexpensive rings. On an aside I have never seen vertical rings not tighten up. I suspect (without seeing them) that you may have picked up a set of 30mm rings by mistake. Just a wag but I know its possible I have grabbed the wrong rings lots of times.

Len

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-56524-Mount-System-Matte-Rifleman-Detachable-Low-Rings/382321922691?epid=0&hash=item5904299283:g:C34AAOSwrhhaQ73P

What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?   S-l500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Simmons-Standard-Weaver-49168-Matte-1-Medium-Scope-Ring-Mounts-1039/162956568487?epid=1800082648&hash=item25f0f7e7a7:g:stwAAOSwhplaYlMq

What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?   S-l1600

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redfield-Medium-Height-1-Scope-Rings/202280433044?hash=item2f18da7594:g:uwkAAOSwZfNafnLW
What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?   S-l1600
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?   Empty Re: What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?

Post by Blsi2600 Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:45 pm

Leupold Rifleman.  SKU 56524.  The best by far.  

Sure wish they would make 30mm low.  Not gonna happen though.  Not enough demand.

Blsi2600

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:55 am

Weaver Quad Lock. $10 @ Wal-Mart.

davekp

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:42 am

The rings should slightly not fit the tube when off. If they slide on they're 30mm rings probably.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:19 am

I recently had the same experience with a new 1" ultra dot. I was mounting it on a Clark rail and the rings that came with it would not tighten on the scope. I ended up using low Weaver rings which I like much better anyway. 

I still have that set of rings. I'll have to measure them but I'm certain they aren't 30MM.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?   Empty Thanks to all

Post by NuJudge Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:29 am

I bought a set of Leupold low mount rings.

Last edited by NuJudge on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:47 am

You'll like them.  I have the regular ones and some quick release ones.  The QR's rezero very well after I shoot irons.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:57 am

Someone at Perry was selling a steel version of the 1" ultradot rings.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nelson Custom Guns Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Blsi2600 wrote:
Sure wish they would make 30mm low.  Not gonna happen though.  Not enough demand.

We've started stocking the Weaver 30mm low rings (#99515).  They cost a little more, but all the feedback we've received has been positive...

Larry
Nelson Custom Guns
Nelson Custom Guns

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:04 pm

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I finally have a one inch Ultradot on the way.  I assume it's going to come with the standard rings that hold the sight higher than I prefer.

Is this a good choice?
https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/420180-burris-xtreme-tactical-1-inch-riflescope.html
What type of rings to mount a 1 inch Ultradot on a Nelson conversion's rail?   Opplanet-burris-xtreme-tactical-1-inch-matte-black-low-14in-height-two-rings-420180

Or, from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Optics/dp/B07Q6ZVXXW
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Overkill Mike. It's a .22. Go with a set of Leupold Rifleman low profile rings. Save those other rings for your magnum rifles.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:30 am

LenV wrote:Overkill Mike.  It's a .22. Go with a set of Leupold Rifleman low profile rings. Save those other rings for your magnum rifles.
I guess I should start a new thread.  I'm putting the 1" Ultradot on a 1911, to replace a standard Matchdot II which is on the gun now.  I saw this thread and started looking around.  Yeah, overkill for a Nelson kit.

Thanks for trying to help.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down