Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips for Camp Perry Newbie

+16
STEVE SAMELAK
Headtap
Tim:H11
rreid
Orpanaut
dronning
fc60
weber1b
Ghillieman
lyman1903
Chris Miceli
Wobbley
Virgil Kane
Ed Hall
james r chapman
dieselguy624
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tips for Camp Perry Newbie Empty Tips for Camp Perry Newbie

Post by dieselguy624 5/22/2018, 6:41 pm

So I'm going to Perry this year for the first time and I'm looking for some advice from the regulars.  So far I'm registered for the NRA matches but not the CMP events. Can/ should I do both?  My next question is do any of you guys use a checklist for gear and equipment? There will be quite a few guys from our winter league attending and I've heard about every horror story there is.  I guess I'm mostly looking for tips & suggestions to make the experience as smooth as possible, stuff like how to get my gear to & from the ranges or any other advice you guys can provide.

Thanks
Dieselguy624

dieselguy624

Back to top Go down

Tips for Camp Perry Newbie Empty Re: Tips for Camp Perry Newbie

Post by james r chapman 5/22/2018, 7:45 pm

It's probably worth it to sign up for the Small Arms class.
It will give you an opportunity to get your first EIC points if your diligent.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 5/22/2018, 7:48 pm

I've got page with some lists you may want to look over.  Camp Perry stuff is near the bottom.  I'll let someone else with a few more minutes add some tips, for now.

Some Lists of What to Take to Matches

These are older lists, so there may be some minor changes, like not needing a fan if you're in a hut, due to them having AC now.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane 5/23/2018, 7:35 am

One thing that stands out to me on Ed Hall's list that most people brush off is insect repellent.  I got a case of chiggers last year at Perry and my ankles were the recipient.  They may not interfere with your shooting or the ability to complete the match but your rem sleep will thank you for using it.  Shocked

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/23/2018, 8:34 am

One thing to definitely consider. Either bring a bunch of money and a mindset to spend it, or leave the credit cards at home. There’s so much to buy if you have a mind to do so. Trinkets and do-dads, ammo, sights...it can add up pretty quickly.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 5/23/2018, 8:39 am

you are probably gonna eat a mayfly or two.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 5/23/2018, 8:48 am

Virgil Kane wrote:One thing that stands out to me on Ed Hall's list that most people brush off is insect repellent.  I got a case of chiggers last year at Perry and my ankles were the recipient.  They may not interfere with your shooting or the ability to complete the match but your rem sleep will thank you for using it.  Shocked
  +1

the mosquitoes at Perry are large enough to have FAA numbers on them, 
and if you miss a spot the size of a pinhead, there will be 3 of the buggers trying to drain you  from that spot, ESP early in the AM,,,

and the huts have AC now??? awesome, 
my first trip we were in an old  hut, EE section, and needed a broom to sweep out the spiders,  then set a bug bomb off and waited an hour or so before moving in, 
that hut had not been renovated since it was built,

last trip was a renovated, much cleaner  but no AC (2006) so we used a small window unit I brought with me, 

good times, good times,
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman 5/23/2018, 9:28 am

Mud boots, rain jacket, various size plastic bags, extra pens.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 5/23/2018, 9:29 am

With the drainage work they did, mud boots may go away some day. Last year with all the rain we had there was no lake in the range. I will still bring mine but who knows down the road.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 5/23/2018, 12:01 pm

Greetings,

Be sure to stop by the NRA tee-shirt shop and pick up souvenirs. They sell out quick.

The sweatshirts have usually been of good quality.

I still wear mine from 1990...

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 5/23/2018, 12:12 pm

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

Be sure to stop by the NRA tee-shirt shop and pick up souvenirs. They sell out quick.

The sweatshirts have usually been of good quality.

I still wear mine from 1990...

Cheers,

Dave
my first perry trip i let them know, i got a free NRA patch, you get the year patch in your welcome packet.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 5/23/2018, 2:00 pm

Plastic bags has been mentioned several times but in case it rains make sure one of them is a 2 gallon clear zip-lock type bag to keep your score card in while scoring.  Mine is big enough for my clip board and so I can insert my hand and write down the scores without getting anything wet.  Remember they don't stop unless it's a monsoon or if there is lightning.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 5/23/2018, 2:31 pm

dronning wrote:Plastic bags has been mentioned several times but in case it rains make sure one of them is a 2 gallon clear zip-lock type bag to keep your score card in while scoring.  Mine is big enough for my clip board and so I can insert my hand and write down the scores without getting anything wet.  Remember they don't stop unless it's a monsoon or if there is lightning.
- Dave
last year they had the rite in the rain brand score cards, no issue with rain..... now the targets that was a shit show.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 5/23/2018, 3:26 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:
dronning wrote:Plastic bags has been mentioned several times but in case it rains make sure one of them is a 2 gallon clear zip-lock type bag to keep your score card in while scoring.  Mine is big enough for my clip board and so I can insert my hand and write down the scores without getting anything wet.  Remember they don't stop unless it's a monsoon or if there is lightning.
- Dave
last year they had the rite in the rain brand score cards, no issue with rain..... now the targets that was a shit show.
Well they're half way there.  2015 when I shot the SAFS M9 match I had a decent score going and the guy scoring my target had my score card literally melt when scoring the rapid target as the soft rain became a wall of water.  The CMP eventually sent me the participation coin I didn't get that day because I had nothing to turn in. LOL
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 5/23/2018, 3:28 pm

dronning wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:
- Dave
Well they're half way there.  2015 when I shot the SAFS M9 match I had a decent score going and the guy scoring my target had my score card literally melt when scoring the rapid target as the soft rain became a wall of water.  The CMP eventually sent me the participation coin I didn't get that day because I had nothing to turn in. LOL
- Dave

Rite in the rain was nra Cmp you still get that colored score card Sad

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut 5/23/2018, 5:38 pm

Be prepared to move yourself and your gear several hundred yards across grassy, muddy terrain. You'll always have a short hike from your hut or parking spot to the assembly area, and sometimes you'll have to move from range to range as well. And sometimes you will be carrying nine full-sized targets glued to cardboard backers in addition to everything else.

You might find yourself shooting iron sights early in the morning with bright sunshine from your right. (The ranges face north.) When that happens, the glare will make the right side of your front sight appear thinner, causing your shots to group to the right. I start off with two clicks of left windage in those conditions.

Bring extra ammo to the firing line. Even if your pistol runs perfectly, it's not unusual to have to shoot refires at Perry. Sometimes someone will cross fire on your target and sometimes a malfunction in the turning mechanism will cause a range alibi.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 5/23/2018, 7:27 pm

http://www.njpistol.com/Camp_Perry_FAQ.asp

Bunch of info here
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by dieselguy624 5/24/2018, 6:35 am

Thanks for all the tips & advice guys!  I'm thinking about looking for a used jogging stroller to help move stuff around. Anybody else go this route and have you done any mods to them?

dieselguy624

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 5/24/2018, 6:44 am

dieselguy624 wrote:Thanks for all the tips & advice guys!  I'm thinking about looking for a used jogging stroller to help move stuff around. Anybody else go this route and have you done any mods to them?
I have the Wes Fleming cart, a great Camp Perry option. Its similar to a rifle cart. You can bungie cord down your pistol box to the seat, slide your 9 targets behind your box. Holds all your ammo, ear muffs and junk in the bags.

When you get to the line at perry you will be instructed to secure your targets under the benches, your gunbox is on the bench and now your chair seat is free.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 5/24/2018, 7:27 am

I’ve been tempted to get one of those carts but I’ve never been to Perry so I haven’t had a use for it. And I only go to local matches where there’s a covered line, and benches everywhere and we can park right by the line. Haven’t needed the cart. But I met Wes and saw the carts at a regionals match in GA. Very nice rig.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut 5/25/2018, 5:33 pm

Yes, it is possible to shoot both the NRA and the CMP matches at Perry. Typically there are four or five days of NRA matches and one or two days of CMP matches.

There are also team matches shot in the afternoon after the individual matches. That's usually when the weather is hottest and/or windiest but they are a great experience. If you can reliably shoot 250+ with your ball gun and you haven't shot in the NTT before your state association's pistol team captain could use your help.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by Headtap 5/27/2018, 6:49 pm

After ten years of wanting to go, I am finally going this year. have gone to three in state matches and my scores suck swamp water. I belong to a range, I practice on the official NRA 75 feet slow fire targets. When I practice, I get 85 to 87 out of 100 on slowfire. At competition, I get like 51 to 55/100. My 22, which has never jammed on me, jammed and messed up my score. Most of it was mental, but I can’t figure out what I did wrong. I ate a breakfast, kept hydrated, concentrated on my breating and trigger control, but I seem to get nervous. I don’t want to look like a retard at Camp Perry. What hints do you have to battle stage fright?
Headtap
Headtap

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 5/27/2018, 6:54 pm

Keep in mind that the only score that the other guy is worried about is his...until you beat him.  Go there to shoot your match and have a good time.
Don't worry about screwing up, every one has some kind of problem and I've never been to a match where they didn't help everyone get thru.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/27/2018, 7:20 pm

Never, ever, ever carry your firearm outside a gunbox, gun case, or gun slip from 50 yd to 25 yd positions. no matter what the guy next to you does....

affraid
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 5/27/2018, 8:37 pm

Headtap wrote:After ten years of wanting to go, I am finally going this year. have gone to three in state matches and my scores suck swamp water. I belong to a range, I practice on the official NRA 75 feet slow fire targets. When I practice, I get 85 to 87 out of 100 on slowfire. At competition, I get like 51 to 55/100. My 22, which has never jammed on me, jammed and messed up my score. Most of it was mental, but I can’t figure out what I did wrong. I ate a breakfast, kept hydrated, concentrated on my breating and trigger control, but I seem to get nervous. I don’t want to look like a retard at Camp Perry. What hints do you have to battle stage fright?
For my first trip to Camp Perry, I set a goal to shoot all of my shots on my own target and within the allotted time.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next