Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shipping a firearm question.

+17
Wobbley
willnewton
KB2MBC
243winxb
Bullseye_Stan
John McCormick
james r chapman
lyman1903
mpolans
Magload
BE Mike
kc.crawford.7
Ljohns
cdrt
apipeguy
tceva
kjanracing
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shipping a firearm question. - Page 2 Empty Shipping a firearm question.

Post by kjanracing Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:04 am

First topic message reminder :

I sold my 52-2, shipp8ng it to a guy back east. I’m not going to ship through a FFL. I have the paperwork from the FFL I’m shipping to. I’ve read the UPS site on requirements for shipping a handgun. One of the reqs is to inform the driver or counter person that the box contains a handgun. Why? Do they treat it any differently, separate the package from the others? Secret stamp? The package can’t have any labeling that leads anyone to think there is a handgun inside. Does anyone know what the deal with that req is? 
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Shipping a firearm question. - Page 2 Empty Re: Shipping a firearm question.

Post by Wobbley Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:13 pm

cheers
Wobbley
Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:23 pm

I wanted to follow up on how shipping my handgun turned out.
I e mailed the receiving FFL about the transfer. They sent me their FFL license and address to send it to. I used my business UPS account and printed a Next Day Air Saver label. It costed about $102.00 using a UPS medium box. Packed the gun and accessories, and an envelope with the FFL and a copy of my driver’s license. The UPS guy came and I handed him the box. I got a delivery notice the next day. Easy.  I asked another driver about telling him I’m shipping a firearm. He said it’s so they can separate it for getting an adult signature on delivery. So everything worked just fine. Now I know what to do for the next one.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:23 pm

I thought I'd find my answer here, but I guess I'll have to ask:

UPS regs cited earlier in the thread explicitly address "licensed collectors."  USPS regs I have found simply state the "licensees" can ship ...  And my understanding is that a USPS flat rate box is the most economical approach.

So, assuming I am shipping to an FFL in another state, does my C&R, which says "Federal Firearms License" at the top, permit me to use USPS?

OldShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:27 am

Yes it does.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:02 am

It's not just UPS or FedEx requiring this.

ATF regs [18USC 1915, 922(a)(5) & 922 (a)(2)(A); 27CFR 478.31] state a non-licensee may only ship a handgun by common or contract carrier. A non-licensee may ship a rifle or shotgun to a resident of his state or to a licensee in any state by US Postal.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:34 pm

This a sticky, but it has not been updated for a long time and I believe that a lot of the info in this thread is no longer correct.

AFAIK, according to the UPS and FedEx websites, those carriers will not accept a handgun from a non-FFL customer. ALL handguns must now go FFL to FFL.

DHL and other couriers do not take any firearms. I recently asked for quotes on a van services website to transport a box of handguns, got a wide range of prices - mostly VERY high - but I do not think that the van operators are actually following the law.

FFL's can still use the USPS to mail an unloaded handgun to another licensee in customary trade shipments. Handguns may also be mailed to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who is eligible under 18 U.S.C. 1715 to receive pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person for use in connection with his or her official duties.

However, postal service regulations must be followed. Any FFL proposing to mail a handgun must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee stating that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm, and the affidavit must bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official use of the addressee.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by brdrgrd Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:09 pm

FedEx no longer will ship firearms from an individual no matter who it’s going to. They will accept the firearm if you have a shipping label from one of their commercial customers.Clark Custom Guns had to send me a label so I could send my gun to them. By FedEx requiring their commercial customer to supply the label the shipping charges are substantial lower.

brdrgrd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2