Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reason for Two Different Loads?

+8
carykiteboarder
fc60
Wobbley
Tim:H11
LenV
john bickar
Jon Eulette
mpolans
12 posters

Go down

Reason for Two Different Loads? Empty Reason for Two Different Loads?

Post by mpolans 6/10/2018, 9:36 pm

I've read that some folks use two different loads; one for 50 yards, and one for 25 yards.  Why?  Is this just so you don't have to adjust sights between the two distances?

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Reason for Two Different Loads? Empty Re: Reason for Two Different Loads?

Post by Jon Eulette 6/10/2018, 9:42 pm

Recoil! Sustained fire is a bit easier to shoot with less recoil. 50 yards requires more velocity to get the bullets to group so they are pushed faster. More recoil requires more consistent grip to shoot well. AMU guys shoot everyday so they are better conditioned for it. Younger too. Us part time shooters have to work harder to get the same results. So the softer loads are more forgiving and less fatiguing to shoot. Yes I have to still make sight adjustments.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 6/10/2018, 10:22 pm

In addition to what Jon said, my 50 yard load is more expensive and wears my barrel more than my 25 yard load (for .45). I shoot jacketed at 50 and lead at 25.

For .22, my 50 yard match lot is a limited supply, and doesn’t function 100% for sustained fire. 25 yards I can pick pretty much anything from my inventory and shoot 8-9x cleans. (10x is rarer than hens’ teeth for some reason Laughing)

Sight adjustments go in your journal. You DO have a journal, correct?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 6/10/2018, 11:11 pm

Come on let's be honest here. How many of you only have "two" different loads? Have to have some 230gr ball loads. And some 200g JHP, 200gr L-SWC, 185gr JHP-Zero-Nosler-Hornady, 185gr L-SWC, 185gr L-SWCHP and some 160 gr your trying to make work. Have to have different powder loads for winter and summer. That sounds about right for 45. Then there is 9mm, 38 Super, 38 Special …...two would be so nice sometimes Very Happy
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 6/10/2018, 11:25 pm

Ditto... light load, less recoil, easier deal for sustained fire. It just so happens that my light load also shoots very well for 50 yards too. No need for more umph in my gun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 6/11/2018, 8:57 am

LenV wrote:Come on let's be honest here. How many of you only have "two" different loads? Have to have some 230gr ball loads. And some 200g JHP, 200gr L-SWC, 185gr JHP-Zero-Nosler-Hornady, 185gr L-SWC, 185gr L-SWCHP and some 160 gr your trying to make work. Have to have different powder loads for winter and summer. That sounds about right for 45. Then there is 9mm, 38 Super, 38 Special …...two would be so nice sometimes Very Happy

Ditto.... Ammo loaded for a Gold Cup, ammo loaded for a Clark Hardballer, ammo loaded for... practice ammo, match ammo, different bullets, different bullet makes... experiments with different powders...

Who in the heck just has two?

lol!
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 6/11/2018, 10:10 am

Greetings,

My "Journal" does not contain sight adjustments. Only names and addresses of local restaurants.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by carykiteboarder 6/11/2018, 10:23 am

Lol!

If your hobby is Bullseye shooting, you can find a compromise single load for your .45.  (If you are expert trying to make master, you might work on a softer 25yd load to find a few more points in sustained fire.  If you are high master, you're not asking the question.) 

If your hobby is reloading, you will need more than two loads for each gun as described by LenV.

Some people reload to shoot; some people shoot to reload.  Then there are those that shoot if the sun is shining and reload if it's not.
Glen
carykiteboarder
carykiteboarder

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 6/11/2018, 10:38 am

Many just don't want to adjust sights or dots so they find a good 50 yd load then find one that hopefully hits X at 25 with the same settings
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 6/11/2018, 10:36 pm

Okay.  I didn't realize it was primarily a recoil thing for most folks.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by Aufidius 6/15/2018, 7:30 pm

carykiteboarder wrote:Lol!

If your hobby is Bullseye shooting, you can find a compromise single load for your .45.  (If you are expert trying to make master, you might work on a softer 25yd load to find a few more points in sustained fire.  If you are high master, you're not asking the question.) 

...says the not high master,  lol!
Aufidius
Aufidius

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman 6/18/2018, 2:37 am

For a couple years I shot only one load, Montana Gold 185 JHP and 4.6 Titegroup for both wadgun and ballgun. I have so much lead now I cast a 200gr SWC for my wadgun.

Question for those who shoot JHP at 50 and lead at 25. Do you have any issues with impacts at 50 after shooting lead at 25? For instance the 50 yard 45 caliber slow fire match after the centerfire 900 agg, or the 50 yard target team match at Perry after shooting lead?
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 6/18/2018, 9:19 am

Ghillieman wrote:For a couple years I shot only one load, Montana Gold 185 JHP and 4.6 Titegroup for both wadgun and ballgun. I have so much lead now I cast a 200gr SWC for my wadgun.

Question for those who shoot JHP at 50 and lead at 25. Do you have any issues with impacts at 50 after shooting lead at 25? For instance the 50 yard 45 caliber slow fire match after the centerfire 900 agg, or the 50 yard target team match at Perry after shooting lead?
I always run a chore boy brush followed by a bore snake through my bore between CF and 45. Did that even when I was shooting lead for both lines. Don't know if it helps or not, but I know it doesn't hurt.

I developed 2 different loads because I couldn't count on any of my Ultradots tracking between 25 & 50. Had 4 of them at that time, now using 8 of them. Would make the correction & then have to put several rounds through before the adjustment held. Still love the UD's but don't trust the tracking.

Had the same issue this last weekend at our regional. Took me 1/2 way through the second slow fire to get adjusted in. I've been shooting indoors since last august (we have a 50 meter indoor range), so I knew there was going to be adjustments needed. But I was there to see the guys, trade insults, & have a great time, not to walk away with any medals.

Don't know if he still monitors the list, but it was really good to see you again Bill, AZ seems to agree with you.
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 6/18/2018, 9:39 am

Al, Ultradots tracking problem can usually be taken care of by over cranking. If I have to go down 4 clicks from 50 to 25 then I bring it down 6 and back up 2. I have also noticed that dot is a little slow at following changes.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 6/18/2018, 4:45 pm

LenV wrote:Al, Ultradots tracking problem can usually be taken care of by over cranking. If I have to go down 4 clicks from 50 to 25 then I bring it down 6 and back up 2. I have also noticed that dot is a little slow at following changes.

Len

Yup, doing that now. Always make my adjustments so that when I make the final clicks I'm going clockwise into the threads.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down