Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinion on a used NygordPardini SP on Gun Broker

+6
robert84010
gregbenner
dronning
JKR
CrankyThunder
CraigB5940
10 posters

Go down

Opinion on a used NygordPardini  SP on Gun Broker Empty Opinion on a used NygordPardini SP on Gun Broker

Post by CraigB5940 Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:31 am

Hi folks,
I've decided to try a Pardini SP, I found one used that is a significant price difference from a new or used late model SP.
Here it is, I can see the Nygord Prescott AZ markings on it :
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/776927289

I'm shooting a Benelli MP 90S now and I can score in the 850 to 870 range with it in outdoor Bullseye. I started shooting Bullseye last summer and 10 meter AP 3 years ago.

I've done some searching here and on Rimfire Central. The online Bluebook says Don Nygord handled importing them from 1997 to 2004.
1. From what I gather the older Pardinis don't handle CCI SV well but the new ones will shoot CI SV reliably because of the new magazines. Can the new Magazines be fitted to the older SP to get CCI SV to function?
2. The newer SPs have a frame modification, were the old SPs known to crack and fail?
3. Do the newer SPs have a significantly better trigger than the old SPs?
4. The new SPs have a recoil buffer with weights and springs in the muzzle shroud, is there a dramatic difference without it?

I'm at the point that "Buy once, cry once" makes sense. I'm trying to figure out if this used SP will hold up in the long run instead of starting out with a new one.
 I shoot about 7K round per year through my Benelli.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig B

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Opinion on a used NygordPardini  SP on Gun Broker Empty Re: Opinion on a used NygordPardini SP on Gun Broker

Post by CrankyThunder Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:57 am

Dear Craig:

I could be wrong but I have not heard of any of the old Nygoord pardini's being fragile.  

Prior to purchasing that pistol, I would send a email to pardini usa asking specifically if they support the old pardini's.  ask if the mags are interchangeable and any other questions you may have.  

While you will get a awesome pistol, you stated that you will not get the recoil weights and buffer system.  After having shot both types of pardini's this would be a deal breaker for me.  I shoot four steel weights and two tungsten weights.  The pistol has a significantly harsher recoil when I remove the weights and while shooting a couple hundred rounds of 22 through a heavy pistol will not be uncomfortable, I am sure that the buffer system and weights add a couple points to my score a match.  

I wouldn't worry about the trigger.   the old pardini's I have shot have had excellent triggers. 

With that gun at 1,200.00 it looks like a good buy but with the popularity of pardini's, it might climb into the not such a good buy zone.  

The seller does not mention what size grips are on it and they look like they have the european High Rake grip angle.  Some people like the european grip, some prefer the 1911 angle american grip, and some people like me get a pulled tendon when shooting a european grip.  If you purchase that pistol, there is a high probability that you will be ordering a set of grips for about $300.00 from Dick Horton. 

Hope this helps and if you have more questions, be happy to try and assist you.
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Opinion on a used NygordPardini  SP on Gun Broker Empty Re: Opinion on a used NygordPardini SP on Gun Broker

Post by JKR Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:25 am

Craig,

I've done a good deal of work on a friends, even older, Pardini SPE that was imported by Beeman. Pardini USA was very helpful and had the parts that I needed. It's a great old pistol and a solid shooter. The owner is very pleased with it. He's shot it a lot for the last two years with CCI SV with absolutely no problems. 

If you buy it it will be interesting to know how you compare it to your MP 90. I shoot a Benelli too and often think about a Pardini for no good reason except trying another pistol. I've got a long trail of 22's behind me and so far the MP 90 is my favorite.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 am

I was looking at an older used Pardini without the weights but after shooting both with and without weights I decided to get one with the weights.  I'd suggest you try both if you can.  The weights were worth another $500 to me and I spent a better part of a year looking for a good deal but they hold their value so I finally gave in and bought a new 6".  The only thing I regret is not buying a new one sooner, but by delaying I was able to get a 6" gun.

Having said all that if you can pick it up for a price you like you won't regret it.

- Dave

OH and a big +1 for the Dick Horton grips.  I also got 1911 style grips from precisiontargetgrips.com which I've been using lately.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:23 pm

I would also strongly suggest you talk with Vladimir at Pardini USA (might be a bit difficult right now, believe he is at Perry). I have a Pardini with all three conversions (22, 32 long, and 32 ACP).  I believe (but am not sure) that not all three conversions will work an all receivers.  If you are getting one in 32 long, I would really suggest making sure it will accept 22 and 32 ACP conversions. I purchased my Pardini in 22, no intent to buy a conversion.  Then a 32 long.  Then.......   

Re grip angle, Rink makes a steep grip which are very nice if you don't like the extreme angle of the factory grips. (I tried some custom Horton grips, didn't work at all for me).

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:02 pm

I don't know why everyone is talking about it not having weights. One quick look at the pictures shows that it is equipped with the wider nose for the counterweights. The Nygord model years is not really considered the old model, which is really the Fiocchi years. Those had no weights nor the added ribs on the side to reinforce the frames. This has both of those mods and is not much different than the current model. This is a Nygord "bullseye master" as he called it with the special grip. But does not seem to have the original ADCO dot sight.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:11 pm

robert84010 wrote:I don't know why everyone is talking about it not having weights. One quick look at the pictures shows that it is equipped with the wider nose for the counterweights. The Nygord model years is not really considered the old model, which is really the Fiochhi years. Those had no weights nor the added ribs on the side to reinforce the frames. This has both of those mods and is not much different than the current model. This is a Nygord "bullseye master" as he called it with the special grip. But does not seem to have the original ADCO dot sight.

I think your are right, I never looked at the link.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:38 pm

More to the original questions:

1. I've heard the new magazines fit in the Nygord Pardini so CCI should be no problem. My SP has the same problem but it shoots Aguila SV very well.
2.This has the frame modification and should not have a cracking problem ever if using SV ammo.
3. This version has an adjustable and in my opinion excellent trigger. There was a modification about 2009 or so. I don't know what was added.
4.This one is configured to have the counterweights, unless somebody removed them.  A Hammerli 208S doesn't have counterweights and look at the scores shot with that. A Marvel doesn't have them and many seem to clean targets every weekend. I don't know what the big deal is.

it's a bargain at 1200 but these have gone for sky high prices at times. I personally don't think it's worth too much over the starting price simply because you don't know how much wear it has.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:32 pm

I've had a similar vintage Nygord import and a Pardini USA SP22, and currently have a Pardini USA SP Bullseye in .22 and an SP Bullseye in .32acp.

My Nygord one was like the one pictured, with 4 spring-loaded weights (the newer SPs have 6 weights)...I don't think the difference between 4 and 6 weights is that big a deal.  The trigger blades are very different, with the newer ones have having a flatter face and more adjustability.  In addition, the trigger adjustments are somewhat different, indicating some changes to the trigger/hammer/sear internals...The newer trigger and adjustments are different enough that I would never consider an older one.

As for conversions, the newer "SP Bullseye" can accept a .32acp conversion (and "HP" can accept a .22 conversion, which is really just the bolt assembly, barrel, and mags for the SP Bullseye).  However, the older SPs, the newer Pardini USA SP22s, and the SP RF are built on frames that have significant differences from the SP Bullseye/HP frame.  The slots for the "cocking ears" that protrude from the bolt are significantly thicker; if you put an older bolt or SP22 bolt in an SP Bullseye frame, it'll flop around, rotating loosely in about a 20-30 degree arc.  Trying to put a SP Bullseye or HP bolt in an SP22 frame, in addition to the cocking ears being too thick to fit in the corresponding slots in the frame, you'll also see that there is a crosspin driven through the frame contacts the top of the bolt to prevent it from entering.  The bolt of the SP22 is relieved on top to clear the crosspin.

The older magazines have fit in all guns.  The newer ones are a little hit or miss, not just with the old guns, but even some of the newer ones, as if the tolerances are a little looser.  I've had some newer magazines that would not click into place on a newer frame.  Maybe I'm unlucky, but if I don't keep the mags clean, I've had CCI SV and Eley yellow box hang up in the mag (kind of rare though).  The most accurate and most reliable ammo I've used is SK Pistol Match.

As for the gun in question, at $1200, it's probably a good deal, but I've seen them climb higher; I think my older one sold for $1400-1500 on gunbroker.  If you're patient, you can probably get a newer one used for around $1800, which (IMHO) would be a much better deal.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkOue Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:41 pm

I shoot a Nygord Pardini and it is excellant!  At half the price of a new Pardini, buy this one.  At 3/4 the price then buy a new one.

1. The new magazines work in my Pardini.
2. After me shooting another 5000+ rounds through my Pardini, maybe double that, on top of how many thousand the gun shot before me owning it, I sent her to Pardini for a refresh of springs, firing pin, extractor and so on.  The charge was under $200.  Ready for another 10,000 or more rounds.
3. My Pardini shoots the CCI just fine, along with TAC-22 which it loves (and is cheap), Wolf, SK and others.  It does sometimes not like a round or two of Eley Target and Club.  A drop of oil on the first round in a magazine where the bullet meets the case cures that.  

I shoot my Marvel conversion on an Accuracy X frame for almost as high scores as I do my Pardini.  The Pardini is just easier to shoot.  The switch from the Pardini to the 1911 in matches can cause me to forget to keep my arm as stiff as it needs be with the 1911.  One would think I could remember that...

MarkOue

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:46 pm

Greetings,

The pistol appears to have the Steel shroud.

I cannot recall if the rear of the Steel shroud is counterbored to match a collar on the front of the frame.

The new pistols have Aluminum shrouds and no counterbores.

Without a lot of machining, I doubt it is convertible to either the ACP or HP version.

PardiniUSA is very helpful regarding help and parts; however Pardini Italy does not offer parts for older guns. Barrels are one item that have to be custom made.

Very difficult to determine the condition of the barrel when assembled.

Perhaps telephone the Seller and ask if there is a three day, no firing, inspection period. If not acceptable, you are only out $90.00.

Cheers,

Dave

PardinUSAi is very helpful; however, Pardini Italy does not support older models. Barrels o
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Opinion on a used NygordPardini  SP on Gun Broker Empty Thanks all

Post by CraigB5940 Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:58 pm

This is excellent feedback, I'm still looking at this vs getting a used SP Bullseye, It's likely I'll get a used SP Bullseye in case I want to go to the 32 ACP conversion kit.

Craig B

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Opinion on a used NygordPardini  SP on Gun Broker Empty I bought an new SP BE from Champions Choice

Post by CraigB5940 Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:10 am

Thanks all, I decided to get the new model Bullseye SP due to the 32 ACP & 32 SW Long conversion compatibility later in life should I go that route. 
I appreciate the advice given here. Pardini USA has none in stock and luckily the only one in stock at Champions Choice was my grip size.

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by tray999 Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:17 pm

CraigB5940 wrote:Thanks all, I decided to get the new model Bullseye SP due to the 32 ACP & 32 SW Long conversion compatibility later in life should I go that route. 
I appreciate the advice given here. Pardini USA has none in stock and luckily the only one in stock at Champions Choice was my grip size.

Craig,

Speaking from experience, you are going to love the Pardini Bullseye model........

Jim
tray999
tray999

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:20 pm

CraigB5940 wrote:Pardini USA has none in stock and luckily the only one in stock at Champions Choice was my grip size.
Congrats, glad you were able to get one, I picked up a 6" from CC a couple of months ago and love it.

This reminds me of an earlier post.  Does anyone know if the Pardini shipment from Italy is still being held up by customs?
- Dave
dronning
dronning

ALASKAN2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Opinion on a used NygordPardini  SP on Gun Broker Empty I spoke with Pardini

Post by CraigB5940 Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:38 pm

The woman who answered  the phone mentioned a possible shipment for August, nothing about customs problems but I did see an earlier post about a seizure. If that happened it's absurd.

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Opinion on a used NygordPardini  SP on Gun Broker Empty An update on the new Pardini

Post by CraigB5940 Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:16 pm

I got  the new 5 inch SP Bullseye model from Champions choice and it shoots like a dream. Right out of the box after  mounting the dot after sighting it in, I shot it for practice without adjusting the factory trigger which will lift 2 lbs,  I shot 874 on the 50 ft indoor course and then 878 on the 50 yard outdoor course the next day.  This was done while learning to interface the pistol.

It functioned fine with CCI SV as well as SK Std. Both of these scores were within a few points of my personal best ever practice  scores with the Benelli MP 90, 3 points under for indoor 50 ft and 5 points under for the outdoor 50 yard course.

I noticed improvement at both the long line and the short line, it's much easier to shoot the SP in timed and rapid fire, especially rapid fire. So far I'm really impressed. Of course time will tell, I need more time to develop a statistical base to see if I get a boost in my top and average scores but the ease of shooting this pistol is very noticeable over the Benelli.

The sales rep ad CC told me I did not need the Pardini rings to mount the dot anywhere on the pistol frame, it seems that  was incorrect, I do need the Pardini rings to mount a dot anywhere else but over the front sight where there are factory two Picatinny cross bolt positions to mount only one ring up front. I've seen some SPs with the full length Picatinny rail but this is not one of them, Maybe that was a 2018 improvement, this is a 2017 gun. 

I was disappointed but tried the one ring over the front sight mount and much to my surprise the weight of the Matchdot II does not make the SP overly muzzle heavy which really shocked me! I still want to move the dot back to keep powder residue off the front lens.

The factory grip has a nice BE upswept palm shelf and it feels very much like my Rink grip on the Benelli. So far so good!

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down