Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pistol Box Set Up

+3
Magload
Tim:H11
sjs
7 posters

Go down

Pistol Box Set Up Empty Pistol Box Set Up

Post by sjs Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:15 pm

I am trying to learn this sport on my own through reading and experimentation as the nearest match is over 2 hours drive.  I want to learn as much as I can before making that drive but I have no one to observe.

I bought an old Gil Hebard pistol box which was never set up.  I want to mount the scope bracket and it is so adjustable it seems like almost anyplace on the lid would work.  Before I drill holes, is there a commonly used position for mounting the bracket?

Also, the instructions say to drill .203" holes for the bracket screws but the screws are only .180" in diameter.  It seems wrong to drill holes larger than the screws.  Is this correct instruction?

Thank you for any assistance.

sjs

Back to top Go down

Pistol Box Set Up Empty Re: Pistol Box Set Up

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Most of us have the scope mount, mounted to the upper, most closest to you, corner of the lid viewed as the lid is open. I shoot right handed. My box is set up to the left of me because as I shoot right handed my body faces angled towards the left. I want my box there so I can look easily into the spotting scope. Since the box is on the bench, and the shooter stands behind the bench, you wan the scope mounted closer to the side of the box that is closer to you so you gain as much ease and flexibility in the position of the scope since most ranges don’t have uniform benches from one range to another. 

As for the screw sizes.... I have no idea.

Pistol Box Set Up 04115f10

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm

The scope has to be mounted so when it is in the stored position it will clear the shelf or drawer and the bottom of the box when you close the box.   If it doesn't you will have to remove it every time you close the box.  If they are bolts and not screws I can understand the hole being a little larger.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:41 pm

You can't get a .180" screw through a .180" hole. The hole needs to be a little bigger than the screw. The .203" hole gives you a little wiggle room to align with the threaded holes in the bracket.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:20 pm

As mentioned, you need a little wiggle room to make sure the screws will start in the threaded holes in the mount. .208 is the usual for a class II fit. You also want to have the mount more or less horizontal when the scope is ready to be stowed. So assemble the scope to the mount. Make it so that it’s horizontal and use a small clamp to clamp it to the lid. Make sure the box can be opened and closed with the scope mounted. The small amount of lid trave shouldn’t make too much of a difference. Also select a scope that can fit in the space provided.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:37 pm

JKR wrote:You can't get a .180" screw through a .180" hole. The hole needs to be a little bigger than the screw. The .203" hole gives you a little wiggle room to align with the threaded holes in the bracket.

Jim
And if you look at a hole that has been drilled with a regular drill bit, it isn't perfectly circular.

I wish I had of seen a thread like this as I mounted mine dead-center.  Over lunch I bought screws to fill the old holes so I can move it.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by sjs Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks very much guys, that was all very helpful.

sjs

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:59 am

If you have a scope with an angled eyepiece, it is much more convenient.  You won't have to extend the mount up out of the box to see thru it.  Just take off the eyepiece cover and away you go!
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down