Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any special things to do in 95 degree heat, very high humidity, and rain all around, to prevent jams?

+3
dronning
LenV
mikemyers
7 posters

Go down

Any special things to do in 95 degree heat, very high humidity, and rain all around, to prevent jams? Empty Any special things to do in 95 degree heat, very high humidity, and rain all around, to prevent jams?

Post by mikemyers Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:08 am

I was at the range a few days ago, Monday as I recall.  It was too hot, probably 90 or maybe 95, muggy as can be, and rainy.  I just finished setting up a target when the rain got worse.  Both guns I had with me, the Salyer 45 and my Model 41, started having feeding problems, not loading a second round in the Salyer, and two bullet jams from the Model 41.  Both guns worked fine with the same ammunition the previous time I went to the range.  I switched to loading one round at a time, and had no more problems.  I left early as it was uncomfortably hot, and everyone else was leaving too.

My question - since both guns had worked fine shortly before, is there anything one should do in high heat and humidity, to prevent this?  LenV will most likely say I was the problem - what was I even doing there under such lousy conditions.  He would be right, I guess.  I'm stubborn though, maybe too much so, and since both guns worked perfectly loading one round at a time, I figured that too would be a good learning experience.  (The problem happened three times with the 45, and twice with the Model 41, and I gave up trying - just went to loading only one round.)

In hindsight, maybe I should have taken all the cartridges out, wiped them clean, and maybe put a little oil on them using a rag? 
Also in hindsight, maybe going to the range on a damp, hot, day, I should clean and lubricate the guns first, even if they don't need it?

(The area I shoot from was covered and dry, just uncomfortable for the shooter, but I had no idea it might effect the guns.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Any special things to do in 95 degree heat, very high humidity, and rain all around, to prevent jams? Empty Re: Any special things to do in 95 degree heat, very high humidity, and rain all around, to prevent jams?

Post by LenV Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:40 am

I have never seen a pistol get too hot to function properly. I have seen ammo get too hot. Wax starts dripping off .22s and some powder is very heat sensitive. But a little lube before going sure couldn't hurt. Also if you had super thin oil on it can get even thinner and be no lube at all. One last thing. Even on the coldest days a 45 can get hot.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Any special things to do in 95 degree heat, very high humidity, and rain all around, to prevent jams? Empty Re: Any special things to do in 95 degree heat, very high humidity, and rain all around, to prevent jams?

Post by dronning Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:43 am

Never had any issues shooting in the rain either under cover or in the open even in 104 heat index with 80%+ humidity.  A little extra oil on the slides or a SMALL drop of oil on the 1st round in the mag doesn't hurt.

When was the last time you cleaned the guns and mags?  

I'd guess it was a grip issue.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 am

I guarantee you that this 45 gets hot. And notice the perfect grip. I didn't even let the barrel rise up. Rolling Eyes 

Any special things to do in 95 degree heat, very high humidity, and rain all around, to prevent jams? Fullsi10
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyholed Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:53 am

I hit the range Monday and wound up with a couple pistols that looked like they'd just taken a bath. I got a little spray of water every time I squeezed the trigger. Turns out going from a 68-degree basement to a 95-degree range with near-100% humidity does that sort of thing. Zero malfunctions, although I stripped them down to dry on a towel when I got home.

The only temperature issue I've ever had was ammo. I had a marginal load of HP-38 in .45 ACP that functioned fine in the summer, but come late October, left enough unburned powder behind to lock up a 625 after just a few shots.

Keyholed

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:41 am

Keyholed wrote:I hit the range Monday and wound up with a couple pistols that looked like they'd just taken a bath. I got a little spray of water every time I squeezed the trigger. Turns out going from a 68-degree basement to a 95-degree range with near-100% humidity does that sort of thing........
That is closest to what I experienced, coming from a comfortable air conditioned car, going out into the heat and humidity.  I didn't notice any water coming from the gun, but I wasn't looking for it either.  

Dronning, the guns were cleaned maybe 200 to 300 rounds before this.  The magazines - I will read up tonight on how to disassemble and clean magazines.  I cleaned the guns last night, and got to wondering how to take the magazine apart.  I have never yet done this.

Len, nice 4t of July display!  Can I ask you how you get that to happen?  Sure makes for a spectacular photo.  Would love to see a slow-motion video!!!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:11 pm

dronning wrote:.......When was the last time you cleaned the ...... mags?  ......
I found lots of information on how to disassemble and clean 1911 magazines.
I found nothing about how to do Model 41 magazines.

Eventually I found this link, explaining how to do the Model 41 magazines, with images:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/206414-41-magazine-disassembly.html
Very useful.  
My Model 41 magazines haven't been cleaned since the late 1970's - and I suspect I should buy new springs for them too.
Lots of people seem to like this post.

==============================================================

By the way, I hope my 1911 magazine cleaning does NOT go like the reassembly shown in the second half of this video:

mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:35 pm

When you were loading one round at a time, did the slide lock back on the empty magazine?

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Yes.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:06 pm

You could move. I thought of your question on the way into town today. Yep today.

Any special things to do in 95 degree heat, very high humidity, and rain all around, to prevent jams? 20180718
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:18 pm

Hmm, was that 2:58 AM or PM ?

Miami was just a wee bit more than that this afternoon.  

Oregon sounds like a wonderful place to live, if that's where you're at.
Maybe I should have stayed in Seattle when I had the chance.

More seriously, I think what happened to me was just a very unusual set of coincidences.  My guns normally behave much more civil, but I really do need to clean my magazines.  I wonder if I can just dunk them in an ultrasonic cleaner for a while.....??   Naw, I'll do it the official way.  My "to-do" list is gaining more things, more quickly, than I'm crossing off the list.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:44 pm

A lot of people clean magazines by dunking them in a solvent then blowing them dry with an air nozzle.  Then dipping in a very light oil like gun oil or WD40.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS Guy Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Sounds like they might need a good cleaning and a light lube.I'd do the magazines as well. Rain and humidity should not effect their functioning in that manner. 

Just my .02

LRS Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down