Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Group Measurement's Proper Criteria

+9
Wobbley
dapduh2
jglenn21
Mike38
Chris Miceli
cdrt
dronning
zanemoseley
brassmaster
13 posters

Go down

Group Measurement's Proper Criteria Empty Group Measurement's Proper Criteria

Post by brassmaster 9/18/2018, 8:15 pm

I'm probably plowing old ground here, but just when I seem to have settled---in my own mind, which criteria is proper for measuring and determining a 50 yard group size that is the "Bullseye standard of measurement" using a caliper measurement of outside-to-outside, someone one offers to sell a 1911 with a phenomenal 1"-10 shot, 50 yard group, but measured center to center of the outside bullet holes. Which method is the "accepted standard," center-to-center or outside-to-outside?
Other than sounding more impressive noting the group size utilizing center-to-center measurement, is there any benefit other than the wow factor? Obviously, if a confirmed, knowledgeable and seasoned Bullseye Shooter is prospecting for an accurized or factory produced match-grade gun, a 10 shot, 50 yard target produced by the gun under consideration and an explanation of how group size was determined would seem to be a decider. If one is selling a match-grade 1911, a responsible seller would not want to misrepresent the accuracy, so, identifying (either text or photo) how the group size was measured would seem to be the prudent course of action. Maybe the center-to-center measurement just makes for better bragging? Dunno.
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Group Measurement's Proper Criteria Empty Re: Group Measurement's Proper Criteria

Post by zanemoseley 9/18/2018, 8:34 pm

I come from a rifle background, the standard group is a 5 shot group, always measured center to center. A lot of pistol shooters test 10 shot groups. Regardless a group is always measured center to center.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Group Measurement's Proper Criteria Empty Re: Group Measurement's Proper Criteria

Post by dronning 9/18/2018, 8:42 pm

The easiest and most commonly used method of measuring shot groups is the “center-to-center” method.  That way if you are comparing 2 calibers you are stating the group size in a common and equal method.  A .952" outside 45 group and a .720" outside 22 group are really both .500" center to center groups.

I measure outside to outside and subtract the bullet diameter to get center to center measurement.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 9/18/2018, 9:10 pm

dronning wrote:The easiest and most commonly used method of measuring shot groups is the “center-to-center” method.  That way if you are comparing 2 calibers you are stating the group size in a common and equal method.  A .952" outside 45 group and a .720" outside 22 group are really both .500" center to center groups.

I measure outside to outside and subtract the bullet diameter to get center to center measurement.
What he said.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 9/18/2018, 9:13 pm

Eley measures outside to outside on the test range. So winners measure that way

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/18/2018, 9:19 pm

Lol, winners huh. Guess they don't shoot centerfire, I've never seen anyone in serious target shooting measure outside to outside.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 9/18/2018, 9:29 pm

I've heard of group size measured inside to inside, because that is how you would score a hole. A .45 hole just touching the x ring scores as an X. But if you used the center of the same hole, it would be a 10. Personally, I use center to center.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/18/2018, 9:34 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:Eley measures outside to outside on the test range. So winners measure that way

and they are probably using the metric system too

Dronning has it right.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 9/18/2018, 9:52 pm

Cjglenn21 wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:Eley measures outside to outside on the test range. So winners measure that way

and they are probably using the metric system too

Dronning has it right.
Nope imperial 50 shot groups outside to outside

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 9/18/2018, 10:24 pm

I have a Les Baer in commercial row now. It has a picture of the group with digital caliper sitting on top. I measured center to center at 1.00 inch. If you want to know the outside to outside just add .45 for a .45, or .38 for a .38, etc. I use center to center because of my rifle background as well but it also just makes more sense to me. It keeps it standard across all calibers and I want to know the exact center of where each round went, because that to me is the “zero”
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/18/2018, 10:25 pm

The noob is strong in this thread.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/18/2018, 10:52 pm

Outside to outside makes sense if scoring is “outward”.  In some international systems for rifle scoring is done outward for some values.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/19/2018, 8:07 am

Center to center allows comparison caliber v. Caliber.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 9/19/2018, 8:15 am

Mike38 wrote:I've heard of group size measured inside to inside, because that is how you would score a hole. A .45 hole just touching the x ring scores as an X. But if you used the center of the same hole, it would be a 10. Personally, I use center to center.

another rifle background here, (raises hand slowly)

so center to center for group size (as in how the firearm does,  how my reloads do, etc) 

scoring is completely different,
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 9/19/2018, 8:39 am

As a "noob", as one less than gracious poster commented, simple search shows outside-to-outside measurements are what you measure. Then you subtract the bullet diameter.
Seem to be a real non-issue. Once you have one of the three possibilities, the other two are easily obtained using the calibre.
Mind you, some people really like quibble about tiny differences in measurement when measuring and comparing measures of sometimes questionable statistical significance.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/19/2018, 8:45 am

So, a .45 outside measured group is only as accurate as the same outside measured .22 group?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/19/2018, 9:05 am

Slartybartfast wrote:As a "noob", as one less than gracious poster commented, simple search shows outside-to-outside measurements are what you measure. Then you subtract the bullet diameter.
Seem to be a real non-issue. Once you have one of the three possibilities, the other two are easily obtained using the calibre.
Mind you, some people really like quibble about tiny differences in measurement when measuring and comparing measures of sometimes questionable statistical significance.

I'm just giving you guys a hard time, don't get too righteous on me. I'm just trying to help you guys not look like a goober when you talk to someone who is serious about target shooting. Show up at a match where group size is part of scoring and start talking about your awesome inside to inside group and you'll get laughed off the line.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 9/19/2018, 10:13 am

james r chapman wrote:Center to center allows comparison caliber v. Caliber.
Showing my ballistic ignorance here, but maybe it also allows comparison between bullet types.  For example, if I have two targets, one shot with .45 full wad cutter and one shot with ball ammo, won't it be easier to compare group sizes using center-to-center?  Measuring outside-to-outside would be easy with full wad cutter, but maybe not so much with ball ammo.

p.s. For whatever its worth, when I watch the Accuracy X videos, it appears Steve is measuring center-to-center.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/19/2018, 2:31 pm

With quarters, dimes and nickels, lol
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down