Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Contact points of 1911 grip

4 posters

Go down

Contact points of 1911 grip Empty Contact points of 1911 grip

Post by Clamps 10/9/2018, 2:02 am

I need some insight on configuring stock 1911 grips. I whacked off half my trigger finger 30 + yrs ago and my hold is skewed compared to how most folks hold. My abbreviated index rides just below the slide and has little or no influence on my grip. Through trial and error I have found that if my thumb rests on the edge of the top grip screw it gives me pretty good traction, better than if it's not gripping at all. Little finger and ring finger on the front strap. 

This is about as good of an arrangement as I'm gonna get with stock grips. However, after some study there's a lack of contact on the inside of my hand on the side of the grip panel which would normally, I'm assuming, offers some additional support.

I have some inexpensive rubber grips which I'm in the process modifying with Sugru. I've molded a shelf for my thumb on the left panel and added a little bulk to fill out the hollow on the right panel where the palm usually makes some contact. My question is...how much contact should I actually get? As much as I can? Just a little? Should I just tape a marble in there....

Clamps

Back to top Go down

Contact points of 1911 grip Empty Re: Contact points of 1911 grip

Post by Chris Miceli 10/9/2018, 2:15 am

I guy up in PA shoots with his middle finger. He’s made master atleast

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 10/9/2018, 2:53 am

Very little if any of my hand touchs the slab grips I use.  Grip is all on front strap and back of pistol.  I think I could shoot without grips and not notice the difference.  Don't know if that's good or bad, just the way it is.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas 10/9/2018, 11:41 pm

It you want to see what it would be like with thicker grips, but don't want to have to modify your current grips (and potentially un-modify them if you don't like it), you can try grip spacers.  CMM makes them in 3 different thicknesses for $15 a pair.

http://www.cm-machine.com/1911-Stock-Spacers_c_11.html

NOTE: You cannot stack multiple thick spacers to get an extra-extra-wide grip, because then the grip screws are too short, and it's almost impossible to find longer-than-normal 1911 grips screws.  But even the medium-thickness spacers make a noticeable difference.

FWIW, I shoot the 1911 noticeably better with the spacers + thicker grips, versus the stock grips.

The thicker-than-normal grips I'm currently using are ones I bought second-hand from a friend, but they came from Costa Rica Treasure House on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/str/costaricatreasurehouse/
I'm pretty sure the ones I have are right-hand "Target" model with thumbrest on the left and a noticeable palm swell on the right.  They also sell "over-sized" versions that are even thicker. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-SR-1911-OVER-SIZED-R-H-TARGET-GRIPS-with-EAGLE-WINGS-SPALTED-WOOD-X-60/152522259216?hash=item238308fb10:g:qoIAAOSwcdRY8owy  At $30 - $45, they are cheap enough to be worth trying, and not feel too badly about cutting into.

Dave

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Clamps 10/10/2018, 1:28 am

All food for thought. I believe I'll leave well enough alone on the inside of the palm. (spacers hold  might be the ticket though) The thumb rest is good and 'maybe' some finger grooves on the left panel where the ring and little fingers wrap around under the trigger guard.

I've also replaced the flat MSH with an arched version, we'll see if that'll be enough. 

Thanks for the help fellas.

Clamps

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down