Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Reloading Press?

+32
New2BE
tceva
mhayford45
SW-52
Steve Brown
Jwhelan939
Aufidius
chopper
STEVE SAMELAK
zanemoseley
Sc0
Jack H
jim lock
Jon Eulette
LenV
willnewton
valbern67
gregbenner
Sa-tevp
Dcforman
desben
lyman1903
fc60
joy2shoot
PhotoEscape
JKR
dronning
DA/SA
mspingeld
Wobbley
CR10X
Tim:H11
36 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Which Reloading Press? Empty Which Reloading Press?

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Lets talk reloading presses for a moment. When it comes to a reloading press I've enjoyed, have come to love, and based on my experiences highly recommend the Dillon 550. However, the Dillon 550 in my possession is not mine. I've been borrowing it from my pistol coach/mentor for over a year now. Things are soon to change for me involving a move to a another state and I will be returning the Dillon 550 to it's owner. 

I will probably not have a great need for another reloading press in the future for quite some time but I would still like to have one of my own for my own personal use when the time calls for it. After looking into the cost of the Dillon presses and the accessories and attachments the cost is great. This of course only makes me appreciate the loan of the press I have that much more. But it also is a damper because I'm not about to spend that kind of money on a press that may not be used much so sadly I have to find a different rig. 

So for other options besides a Dillon... what's affordable that still manufactures ammunition in a relatively quick manner that doesn't have a bunch of quirks or issues?

Tell me your experiences good and bad. Thank you.

Back to top Go down

Which Reloading Press? Empty Re: Which Reloading Press?

Post by CR10X Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:40 pm

As I've mentioned before, if you want to shoot bullseye, just get the 650 w/ case feeder.  Yea, its a little expensive.  BUT you can't buy more time, so make the best use of what time you have.   

Load more than you clean.
Shoot more than you load.
Train more than you shoot.
Think more than you train.
Write it all down.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:47 pm

I prefer the Hornady AP.  Grafs is having a sale, you can get the basic press for $399 right now.  Buy the accessories you need as you go.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Suggestion: Since you're not in a rush, ask around and see if you can actually do some hands-on testing. I'm a Hornady guy but I know lot's of Dillon fans so I won't make a recommendation. If I could have tested both, I would have been able to make a more informed decision.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Check the resale value on Dillon 650's compared to other brands and you'll most likely see that it is not as bad as you might think to own one.

Mine was used, but still in the original box. I could sell it today for more than I paid for it, which wasn't too much less than a new one, but it was local and came with 16 lbs of Clay's and a few thousand .45 projectiles so I jumped on it.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:25 pm

My suggestion is buy extra components and load a years supply of ammo before you move.  Then save up for a new 650 or look for a used one.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:28 pm

I think where Jason's going there will be plenty of ammo!

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:43 pm

JKR wrote:I think where Jason's going there will be plenty of ammo!

+1, and also there will be plenty of 650s and 1050s at your disposal, Jason!
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:46 pm

JKR wrote:I think where Jason's going there will be plenty of ammo!

True but once attached to a press and losing it.. it's like walking out of the house without your wallet... I don't like it lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Well, if your heart is set on the 550 (which is what I use) you could start with the Dillon BL 550 Basic Loader, which is less than $300.  Over time, you can buy the accessories to upgrade it to a RL 550C.  They do make a case feeder for the 550C.  The disadvantages of this approach are 1) the basic loader requires you to manually seat the primer and pour powder through a funnel (until you buy the automatic primer and powder assembly accessories), 2) buying the individual accessories over time will cost more than buying the RL 550C to begin with, and 3) you cannot upgrade from a 550 to a 650 if the 650 is your long term goal.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:22 pm

The AMU doesn’t load pistol ammo, only rifle.  I don’t think they allow even soldiers assigned to the unit to load personal ammo on the AMU machines.,, but if you get an additional assignment to the loading room, you’ll learn a LOT.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Greetings,

Star would be my first choice.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:26 pm

be patient, and watch the local sale papers, estate sales, and gun shows.

used stuff comes on the market every so often 

if you are set on progressive, I drink the blue koolaid, (don't look down on a Square Deal B)

and since every reloader needs a single stage, at least once,  a Forster CoAx is about the best
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Wobbley wrote:The AMU doesn’t load pistol ammo, only rifle.  I don’t think they allow even soldiers assigned to the unit to load personal ammo on the AMU machines.,, but if you get an additional assignment to the loading room, you’ll learn a LOT.

Oh I don’t plan on loading Ammo for job related guns, assignments or matches. I have my own personal set of guns currently as a civilian and I plan on keeping them even though they probably won’t get used much (if at all) and I want to be able to still feed the little devils when I please.

Back to top Go down

Post by desben Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 am

If you want a progressive press, Dillon is the way to go. And like you said, it's expensive. If you're really looking for a cheaper press, you'll have to go single-stage or turret... For $99, you can get the Lee Classic Cast Turret ($200 as a kit). It's a good press that works without quirks/issues, but only does 1 round at a time; expect 150 per hour. Go read the reviews on Amazon.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:48 am

desben wrote:If you want a progressive press, Dillon is the way to go. And like you said, it's expensive. If you're really looking for a cheaper press, you'll have to go single-stage or turret... For $99, you can get the Lee Classic Cast Turret ($200 as a kit). It's a good press that works without quirks/issues, but only does 1 round at a time; expect 150 per hour. Go read the reviews on Amazon.

I have a Lee three hole and it's ok for my 38 special stuff because I don't shoot much of it but for 45 it's too slow. I shoot WAY more 45 and it's not fast enough to make what I shoot. 

I like the Hornaday option Zane mentioned to me after speaking with him. I've also been looking at a Lee Load Master. Has anyone have experience with a Lee Load Master?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 pm

No experience with the Lee, but I just purchased a Hornady AP. I was expecting more problems than I actually had. I needed to make a small pawl adjustment (one station on the shell plate wouldn't click fully into position), and that's it. I can make about 100 rounds in 20 minutes or so without a case or bullet feeder, which is plenty fast enough for me. One thing I like (which I think the Dillon doesn't do) is you can easily pull out a case at any station and reinsert it without removing anything else. Makes it easier to weigh charges, set charges, check primer depth, set dies stage by stage, etc.

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:36 am

Now I'm not the sharpest knife in the chandelier, but I have had good luck studying and sketching out what I thought I would need for target shooting, comparing prices, and then waiting to see what went on sale or came along.

Since you have some time before you really need a press, make a list of what you would like to have and see what shows up. Who knows where it will come at you from. A Star Universal would be great. A Dillon 1050 too. Who knows what will pop up and when but if you can recognize a good deal you can react at the right time. Sometimes someone has to sell one quick. Maybe you get lucky on Fleabay because you know the value and everyone else is trying to lowball. Maybe you bump into someone that is retiring from the sport.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:38 am

Something you might also want to focus on is how many different calibers you will be loading.  I use a 550, and with separate tool heads it is pretty easy to switch calibers. Plus, lots of used parts available as well.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by valbern67 Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:11 am

There are a few threads about reloading presses, and there are as many opiions as there are folks giving them. Reviews and comparisons I've read basically have the Hornady and Dillon pretty even in preference. The price difference did it for me.

I just bought the Hornady Lock-N-Load for $378.99 from Midsouth.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00005095100/lock-n-load-ap-auto-progressive-press
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:41 am

Jason, I have a Lee Classic Turret with reverse rotation setup and various upgrades.  It makes VERY accurate and repeatable ammo, but it does take four strokes to make one piece of ammo.

I do have a Lee Loadmaster.  I got sick and tired of trying to “make it work”.  The bullet loader was a nightmare, it did not make consistent ammo, but the quad tube case loader and hopper work well.  I have it set as a bulk deprimer and sizer.  It does excel at this single purpose.

I then prime off the press with a hand primer and move on to the Lee turret to finish the cartridge.

I often lust for a Dillon 650, but get by with the Lee, as I do not shoot tons of .45 and like the super fast changeover for loading other calibers.

I think what is going to happen is that you will second guess any press you get if it is not a 550 or 650, since you have grown accustomed to the Dillon system.  

You know that the volume you reload generates equivalent savings at the press.  You may as well jump in the deep end.  You know it will be repaid quickly and last a lifetime.  You are on the way to becoming a professional shooter and I doubt you will have any regret that you made the choice to purchase a press that reflects and operates at the highest level in order to match the quality of shooting you will be doing.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:11 am

I also have a Load Master and a Lee Turret press (4 hole). I just use the turret press for oddball ammo like 44mag, 460, 41 mag, 38 special etc. The ammo I want to turn out a lot of like 45, 9, 38 Super, 38 special WC and 40cal I have a Turret set up for each caliber and swap real fast. I have it tuned and it works great. I watched a couple of videos and went to loading ammo. If you get one I will show you the trick I found for keeping the small primers from flipping over in the tray. Cool 

Len   

I have a turret for all the calibers for the Turret press also. Just adjust your dies once.
Which Reloading Press? Dscf1126
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:40 pm

Len, I remember you posting about your Loadmaster before and having it work out well for you. I think a lot of problem with mine was with the bullet loader, but I was having some issues getting consistent ammo as well. I really do like the Lee stuff, as you get a lot of bang for the buck.

I was considering their new Auto Breech Lock press, but have not heard much about it. https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:29 pm

I used a Dillon Square Deal before becoming a military supported shooter on the USA All Reserve Pistol Team. Then I went to the AMU and got rid of all my reloading equipment; big mistake Wink
I started with a Lee Pro 1000 and then a Lee Load Master. I liked both of them but you have to be mechanically inclined. The bullet feeder I was told to just stay away from it. Once I got my Star I was in heaven. So a couple more Stars magically showed up and I was even happier. So now I’m about to set my Load Master up for .44 Magnum. I bought a new primer feeder and was glad to see Lee improved it. I think all presses have their own idiosyncrasies we need to learn and deal with. If I was going to buy a new press today I’d probably get a Dillon. My Star buddies even have Dillons, so that’s got to mean something;)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by jim lock Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:00 am

IMO-- the Dillon 550 is the way to go. Although it is a progressive reloader it is not an auto indexing, meaning you have to index by hand,  with this setup you can use it as a single stage,  once you've got all your data correct you are good to go as a progressive. Personally like it better than my star.  Jim

jim lock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next