Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion

+8
WillH
TonyH
weber1b
gregbenner
spursnguns
Tim:H11
james r chapman
kidneyboy
12 posters

Go down

Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion Empty Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion

Post by kidneyboy 12/18/2018, 7:04 am

I have a Nelson conversion ordered for my SA 1911 9mm with intentions of using it for bullseye shooting. During the long wait it I've been thinking it should have a dedicated frame. My first thoughts are to pick up a SA mil spec but looking for brand suggestions and thoughts about having a smith build one.

kidneyboy

Back to top Go down

Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion Empty Re: Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion

Post by james r chapman 12/18/2018, 7:52 am

Unless you just have too, just use that 9 as a base.
Unless your shooting EIC matches you can set the trigger a lot lighter for .22 and the 9
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion Empty Re: Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion

Post by Tim:H11 12/18/2018, 8:18 am

Back when I started shooting a conversion - if I remember correctly - I was shooting iron sights only. I had a S&W Model 41, and a SA Range Officer. I tried to make the RO work for both my 45 and 22 but I didn’t like constant changing back and forth. I also desired a lighter trigger pull for the 22. In an attempt to compromise I toyed with changing out sear springs as part of the conversion from 22 to 45. It was too much work. I’d rather pick up the gun and shoot it. Then I inquired about the idea of a tension screw built into the mainspring housing to control changing the trigger pull weight. I was advised that I’d be better off with a dedicated frame. I took that advice and I’m glad I did. 

Having a dedicated frame has allowed me to worry less about the gun and worry more about shooting the gun. I turned my RO into a dedicated frame for a 22 unit and commissioned a bullseye 45 build. No regrets.

Springfield makes a good frame to work with. My guns are Springfield’s at heart but have been rebuilt. You could get a foster frame and peice one together. Could have a smith build one. Unless you know how to do it right you’ll want someone experienced to do the trigger. I did my own 22 trigger and love it but it took a long time to learn. Redid it many times before I fell in love with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 12/18/2018, 8:47 am

Well, if your willing to wait and have the $$$$, KC, Accuracy X, Salyer and many other will build what you want.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 12/18/2018, 9:58 am

Hello kidneyboy,

I went the dedicated frame route, am glad that I did and would highly recommend it.  I provided Jon Eulette with a Springfield Mil-Spec frame (as a Californian, I have constraints as to what I can purchase) and he ran with it.  I'm not sure that this pistol is intrinsically any more accurate than my M41s but the trigger is outstanding and that has bought me a one to two percentage points.  Do it....you can always use a new gun.

Jim

Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion Nelson10
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 12/18/2018, 10:50 am

Jon built a dedicated frame for my Nelson. Caspian frame with premium EGW trigger/parts. Very happy with it.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 12/18/2018, 11:07 am

I see people do the switch thing between sessions. Given the ability to have different trigger weights and just the ease of process during a match, I have never regretted doing a dedicated lower for my Marvel.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 12/18/2018, 2:03 pm

I started with two Nelson uppers I have (scoped & metallic sights), on a Kimber CDP frame with less than desirable results, no fault of the Nelsons. Never could lay a finger on what the issue with that frame was exactly, even after extensive troubleshooting, but finally just gave up and decided to go the dedicated frame route.
Bought a Rock Island 10mm tactical frame from SARCO, used mostly Ed Brown parts with a couple of Wilson Combat & Fusion Firearms parts mixed in. Put a KC Custom roll trigger kit in it and presto! Contrary to what you may read or hear I found the RI frame to be of high quality and finish, with no issues at all encountered in the build. Gun runs great...wish I could say the same for my marksmanship!Smile
Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion Img_0210

Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion Img_0211

Last edited by TonyH on 12/18/2018, 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by WillH 12/18/2018, 2:08 pm

The approach I took for dedicated was to go on gunbroker and find a Springfield NM 1911 frame (complete).  As memory serves I think it was around $500 new - and added a KC Custom roll trigger it and tuned it to approximate the pull weight on my 1911 45.  Also changed out the hammer spring for reduce weight.  The combo has worked well and was a cost effective solution for me. I may have gotten lucky with fit but I think the Nelson/Marvels are designed to fit and function with most 1911 full size frames. I figured if I got stuck I could send it to a smith for fitting but it wasn't needed in my case. Others can better explain what benefits may be derived from a custom frame.  It would seem that if trigger is OK and operation is reliable all is good since there's no fitting of slide to frame or bushings to contend with - but I could be missing something.
WillH
WillH

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 12/18/2018, 2:28 pm

I used a S&W Commander size frame for mine. I checked with Nelson before I did it. It fits great. I found a use for my 'run, jump, trip and fall" pistol. It already had a great trigger. I tweaked the mainspring and was in business. I only mention this because it opens up another place to look for frames.

Dedicated frame suggestions for Nelson conversion Dscf1125
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by atrfod 12/18/2018, 6:09 pm

I've got an intermittent bum shoulder,so I'm experimenting with a Nelson on a Ruger Lightweight Commander frame.Seems to work fairly well.I wouldn't be afraid to pick up a Rock Island frame for a conversion either.I think Sarco sells the basic Government frame for right at about $100.That would leave a nice budget for the fire control group and someone to fit it.-Mike

atrfod

Back to top Go down

Post by kidneyboy 12/19/2018, 6:34 am

Thanks for all the comments. Plenty of food for thought.
Looking here and elsewhere on the webs - Springfield, Caspian and RIA seem to get the most mentions for frames.

kidneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 12/19/2018, 7:36 am

For a second conversion setup I removed the 45 top from a Range Officer and stuck an Advantage Arms unit on top.  Only other thing is a KC hammer-sear set and main spring to 18# with normal caps and a Colt leaf spring.  A Nelson works on it too.  And I could put it back as a 45 anytime I want.  My main conversion is a Nelson on a LesBaer by Roddy.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by estuck 12/19/2018, 8:39 pm

I had a Caspian lower built by David Sams, with his trigger job. It was very nice, and a joy to shoot. It comes down to personal preference and weather you want to keep doing the converting back and forth. Personally I liked the idea of simply taking the gun out of my box, loading the mags and shooting. For me, I was finding that I was scoring consistently better with my Pardini and would shoot the Nelson for fun. Again, personal preference.

estuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down