Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving from Venom to Trijicon

5 posters

Go down

Moving from Venom to Trijicon Empty Moving from Venom to Trijicon

Post by Mac2 12/22/2018, 10:46 pm

For a few years, I have watched and assisted in the crafting of a strength-limited bullseye competitor progressing from pistols that were just too heavy, possibly to a solution.  Using 1911 frames allows tailoring trigger (and it is now as good as it gets on both 22 and CF).  Using Aluminum frames with 22 pistol and with CF took care of much of the weight issue.  Colt lightweight had too much rattle.  Found another tight 1911 for CF.  

Old tube-type red-dot sight on 22 is much liked and still kept weight under upper limit.  Needed  slide-mounted "reflex" sight for CF to keep weight under limit.   Had good performance in a number of pistols with Venom red-dot sight.  Back of CF slide is milled and taped for Venom.  Not much metal back of slide.  Competitor has difficulty in turning on the sight, which requires poking a small button on the side of Venom.  [early pistol used Burris 3 - it was actually quite difficult to work with]  

Docter version III has magnet in cover such that sight is off when cover in on and sight is on when cover is off.  Stone simple to use.  Supposedly, the Docter has same "holes" as Venom and might be easy to swap - not simple to find and US made sight is prefered.  

Trijicon Type 2 RM07 requires poking a large button on the side of sight to turn on and squeezing with thumb and fore-finger both sides to turn off.  However, if left alone will effectively go to sleep in 16 hours.  However, its holes are not in the same place as the holes of Venom.

Being thankful that you do not work with competitors having so many limitations, my question is how does one replace Venom with Trijicon?  Mention is made of a RM37 sight adapter, but have not found any information on how it is used.  Thanks.

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Moving from Venom to Trijicon Empty Re: Moving from Venom to Trijicon

Post by Mac2 12/24/2018, 10:25 pm

Not a surprise that an answer is not available.  Thanks for reading.

Went back to competitor and asked to be shown the procedure used to (try) to turn on Venom sight.   The real issue was apparent (could not find the dot looking through the lens after turning sight on) as is the solution.  Competitor now looks at the actual emitter (red laser or LED) to know when the sight has just been turned on.  Emitter is at back of the sight and easy to see when it is emitting without any need to hunt looking through the lens. 

Provided me with an education about Docter sights and Trijicon sights.  Reflex style is needed for those who are strength limited.  After all, no matter the size or shape of the dot, one needs to fire when the dot is centered on target.  And an additional difference is that the reflex sights considered attach with fasteners going through the sight from the top, while the "better" sights seem to need to be attached to a rail-clamp with fasteners that enter the sight from the bottom.

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 12/25/2018, 12:03 am

Try Burris Fastfire 3.

It mounts directly into a factory dovetail and is very lightweight. It starts working when motion is detected so no buttons to worry about.

Reflex sights are difficult for beginners to acquire the dot. They need to have a sound grip in order for the dot to show up in the viewfinder. However a few Wisconsin shooters have used them and had acceptable results. 

Accuracy X, KC Crawford, and Caspian have slides with advanced optics mounting for the micro sights....but those all add weight over the Fastfire.

Over the years I've learned that there are at least 3 different mount patterns for the very small reflective sights but I can't remember which mount styles work with which sights.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 12/25/2018, 9:10 am

Here is a multi-optic layout.  Moving from Venom to Trijicon F609d810The
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 12/25/2018, 11:48 am

Founder wrote:Try Burris Fastfire 3.

It mounts directly into a factory dovetail and is very lightweight. It starts working when motion is detected so no buttons to worry about.

Reflex sights are difficult for beginners to acquire the dot. They need to have a sound grip in order for the dot to show up in the viewfinder. However a few Wisconsin shooters have used them and had acceptable results. 

Accuracy X, KC Crawford, and Caspian have slides with advanced optics mounting for the micro sights....but those all add weight over the Fastfire.

Over the years I've learned that there are at least 3 different mount patterns for the very small reflective sights but I can't remember which mount styles work with which sights.
When I started bullseye, I was also concerned about weight. I soon realized that reflex sights were lighter, and worked fine for me. After trying a few different brands I settled on the Burris FF3. My FF3s require turning on with a small button on the side, it also serves as a toggle on brightness, on, high, medium, low, off. 

From memory, it is either the same or similar mounting holes as the Doctor, but I’m not positive. I’ve got mine mounted on a wide variety of pistols with no issues. 

Just FYI, the FF3 comes with an MOA size dot of 3 or 8. They have a lifetime no questions warranty, so I buy them used on EBay. Might be worth a try, good luck.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 12/25/2018, 5:36 pm

I'm not sure if this would be helpful, so please forgive me if I'm off base.  However if I'm reading your initial post correctly, there are two limitations, that you are working with - weight and ability to manage sight due to limit in strength needed to turn sight on/off.  Trijicon has product that doesn't require turning on/off, for that matter it doesn't have buttons, nor it has battery.  However it is 3 Oz. heavier than RMR.  At the same time it is almost 1 Oz lighter than Matchdot.  It is Reflex sight model RX06. 
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down