Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hämmerli X-Esse IPSC model questions

+4
jstanfield103
jglenn21
willnewton
Ray Dash
8 posters

Go down

Hämmerli X-Esse IPSC model questions Empty Hämmerli X-Esse IPSC model questions

Post by Ray Dash 1/31/2019, 7:14 am

I am new to Bullseye shooting and I am completely hooked already. I currently shoot a Ruger Mark IV with the full Volquartsen competition kit and its shoots pretty well. Myself and a friend decided to look in something better like a Pardini but because we live in NY any pistol with the magwell in front of the trigger is considered an assault weapon and banned. In our research we found the Hämmerli X-Esse models and thought they look like nice conventional style target pistols so I ordered the IPSC model. 

I ordered the IPSC model over the Sport model mainly because I was told that the Sport model no longer has the rail on it like the other models do. In my research it looks like the only rail available is from Champions Choice for $150. I already have a Ultradot 2 that will be going on the Xesse but I am wondering if I will be able to use the 11mm rail that is built into the pistol with my Ultradot or will I have to buy the $150 mount for it to work? I know that I will need to remove the red dot to clean the pistol and the $150 scope mount may make that easier but if I can use the built in rail and save $150 that would work out better for me. 

I am also interested in getting a pair of the stock Sport grips if anyone has any that they replaced and would like to part with. Its a shame that Larry's is out of business, it looked like he was the shop that was supplying all the replacement parts in the US. I am hoping another shop will become the new distributor soon.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Hämmerli X-Esse IPSC model questions Empty Re: Hämmerli X-Esse IPSC model questions

Post by willnewton 1/31/2019, 8:00 am

One of my buddies has the Xesse with sport grips and he likes them OK, but he really likes my Rink grips on my Hammerli 208s better.

In my opinion, his plastic grips can feel cold and have an OK texture, but I would not choose them over any of my Rink or wooden grips for target use.

I guess what I am saying is that if you are going to get new grips, go ahead and get some good ones.  Rink will sell direct to you. Yes, you will have to wait a month or so, but worth it as you will be getting semi-custom grip vs a one size fits all.

Also, if you have an XL size hand, the Xesse sport grip is going to feel small.  It does to me.

Here is the link for the Rink Xesse (aka Trailside) grips.  https://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php?sfC=Haemmerli&A=18&p1=400&p2=255
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hämmerli X-Esse IPSC model questions Empty Re: Hämmerli X-Esse IPSC model questions

Post by Ray Dash 1/31/2019, 8:05 am

Thanks for the info and the link to the Rink grips. I have looked at them and may end up going that route. I am really hoping I can get a set of stock ones cheap just to see how they feel in my hand but if that doesn't happen I will be ordering the Rink's for sure.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 1/31/2019, 12:09 pm

Leupold makes some great 30mm 22 tip mounts that work just fine on the rail cut into the barrel. I use them to mount an Aimpoint 9000 on my trailside.. We simply put double mounts on the front of the dot so it will be even with the rear of the pistol.

For Grips I use the CMM 1911 adapters to allow me to use 1911 grips as I prefer that angle.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 1/31/2019, 5:44 pm

Hämmerli X-Esse IPSC model questions Trails11
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 1/31/2019, 5:45 pm

Thanks for the pic, looks good.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by jstanfield103 3/16/2019, 10:02 am

jglenn21,
Can you please say what those grips are and where you got them ? I have smaller hands and those look like they would be perfect for my hands and grip.
jstanfield103
jstanfield103

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 3/16/2019, 10:58 am

Jeff

those are CMM 1911 grip adapters.. the grips are Aluminum( Alumagrip) covered with grip tape.

any std. 1911 grip would fit though.

http://www.cm-machine.com/Arched-Back-Frame-Adapter-Trailside_p_38.html
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 3/16/2019, 6:56 pm

jglenn21 wrote:...

any std. 1911 grip would fit though.

Standard 1911 grips need the insides relieved in a few areas to accommodate the X-esse controls. Not a very challenging Dremel-carving job but setting up on a mill gets better results. The CMMs came with milled Herrett panels with nice sharp machine checkering but the Alumagrips were a little thicker.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by jstanfield103 3/16/2019, 7:12 pm

Yes those CMMs are very pricey. May have to save up for those. After visiting the web page I see that any 1911 grip will work with some fitting. I have several pair including Aluminum. Just have to save and get the adapter next.
jstanfield103
jstanfield103

Back to top Go down

Hämmerli X-Esse IPSC model questions Empty tip off mounts

Post by kayakr 12/18/2019, 7:12 am

So if you use the tip off mounts, will the red dot hold zero after cleaning?

How often do you need a full strip clean requiring removal of the sight?

kayakr

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 12/18/2019, 8:16 am

Answered in the other thread. I do mark their position when removing them.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Boris_La 12/20/2019, 10:16 pm

kayakr wrote:So if you use the tip off mounts, will the red dot hold zero after cleaning?

How often do you need a full strip clean requiring removal of the sight?
I use to use tip-off mounts with UD25 RDS on my match Trailside, but they are kept slipping slowly no mater what brand I have tried. I finally bought Larry's mount (when it still was available) and happily use it now with Bushnell TRS 25 RDS. Much better balance and weigh. Stays firm in place and keeps zero after remount.
I rarely take it off. Maybe once a year or less. Cleaning bore with tight pull-through and action with swabs and plastic scraper.

Boris_La

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Tiedt 12/21/2019, 4:41 pm

willnewton wrote:

In my opinion, his plastic grips can feel cold and have an OK texture, but I would not choose them over any of my Rink or wooden grips for target use.

+1.  My Trailside felt so much better with Larry's trigger and wooden Rink replacement grips (not what WillieNewton showed, but literally wooden grips that were exactly the same dimensions as the Trailside's plastic grips). 

Doug

Doug Tiedt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down