Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model 41 recoil spring thread

+8
Sa-tevp
OldShooter43
SW-52
Outthere
dev6682
jglenn21
CR10X
troystaten
12 posters

Go down

Model 41 recoil spring thread  Empty Model 41 recoil spring thread

Post by troystaten Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Thought people here might find this thread interesting. I am not verifying the accuracy (bad pun) as I have a factory spring in my 41 and have no problems but there are a lot of 41 shooters out there.  http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/583065-alert-now-updates-when-changing-recoil-spring-model-41-a.html

apologies if this has been covered before.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Model 41 recoil spring thread  Empty Re: Model 41 recoil spring thread

Post by CR10X Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Yes, but it deserves repeating.  Especially for those home gunsmiths / shooter's out there that trim .41 recoil springs in an attempt to fix something.  I've seen 2 of them have this issue.  Getting the gun disassembled was, er, troublesome to say the least. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:41 pm

seen the same thing on a Marvel conversion and I'm sure the Nelson would suffer the same fate..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by dev6682 Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:44 am

Great info. Thanks for posting!

dev6682

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:59 am

Thanks for that. It'll save alot of aggravation for many people.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:14 am

Other alternative brand in springs?
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:44 am

Many thanks for the info.  I ordered a recoil spring calibration set from Wolff last year and installed the 7 lb. spring.  I just checked my pistol and found that I had installed it with the "open" end toward the muzzle.  There was no caution or instruction with the spring kit with regard to putting the "closed" or "finished" end toward the muzzle.  Fortunately, I did not have a jam as described on the S&W forum.

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:37 am

I experienced this type of jam (lock?). I had a 1978 M41 and it had a recoil spring guide rod that had a beveled end that trapped the spring end. Once I hammered the slide off, the spring had scored the guide rod. I dressed out the damage but ordered a replacement S&W part from Brownells. The replacement guide rod did not have a bevel on the end and fit tighter in the slide.

After this I payed more attention to having the wide end of the spring go to the front of the slide on my M41 and Nelson Conversions.

Also, KCs Kustoms does great M41 reliability work.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:02 pm

OldShooter43 wrote:Many thanks for the info.  I ordered a recoil spring calibration set from Wolff last year and installed the 7 lb. spring.  I just checked my pistol and found that I had installed it with the "open" end toward the muzzle.  There was no caution or instruction with the spring kit with regard to putting the "closed" or "finished" end toward the muzzle.  Fortunately, I did not have a jam as described on the S&W forum.

Putting it in backwards will also allow the open spring end to chew up the recoil spring guide.  As me how I know?

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:09 pm

As I posted on the linked thread, you can get any brand recoil spring with a sharp end on the muzzle end which will both gouge the recoil rod and rob recoil power.

Worth checking.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:25 am

You made me look.  Of my three 41s, one spring was in wrong.  It had not caused a problem so far. 
Also checking my springs on the shelf, I recalled several years ago trying springs down to the 6# in one 41.  The hammer spring was still too strong for the 6# recoil spring to cycle Wolf or SK.   
I also found some brand new Nill (2), Morini (1) and Rinc (1), 41 grips I forgot I had.  And three like new metal follower mags. 
I got too much stuff.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by tierney Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:32 am

I had a lot of trouble with my marvel trappimg brass, suspected that the slide was cycling too fast or too slow or whatever.  After going through several different weight marvel springs in frustration I put in a 6 lb M41 spring that has a slightly smaller internal diameter but still fits over the spring guide rod.  Cannot explain it but the weapon works flawlessly. Any ideas?

tierney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:40 am

Jack H wrote:... The hammer spring was still too strong for the 6# recoil spring to cycle Wolf or SK.   

I also found some brand new Nill (2), Morini (1) and Rinc (1), 41 grips I forgot I had.  And three like new metal follower mags. 
I got too much stuff.

I always get a kick out of the goat rodeo on the S&W forums when they are trying to sort out M41 cycling problems. Considering how easy it is to access the M41 hammer springs and how getting the correct hammer (mainspring) to recoil spring balance is common knowledge on these forums for getting 1911 conversions running correctly it is never considered over there.

I wish Wolf Match would run in my M41 as it made the best 50 yard group for me with my rellned 5.5 barrel. KC turned my used jam-a-matic into a sewing machine for CCI SV. CCI SV holds the X-ring for 30 shots at 50 yards so it is acceptable.

That's a lot of furniture to lose track of.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down