Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Target Timers Feedback

5 posters

Go down

Target Timers Feedback  Empty Target Timers Feedback

Post by TonyH Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Does anybody have any experience or feedback on the Target Controller System from Target Timers in Ontario, Canada? We are in the process of building a turning target system at an indoor range, which will be used not only by Precision Pistol shooters, but also by folks that shoot PPC and other combat type pistol sports. Anybody using one of these or some other type of controller that has a good record? Would appreciate any practical feedback or guidance that you folks may have....thanks!
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Target Timers Feedback  Empty Re: Target Timers Feedback

Post by TexasShooter Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 pm

We've been using it for about 5 years. No complaints, reliable, easy to learn. We got the variable delay option and I guess it's worth the cost - we set it when we first installed the system and haven't messed with it since. When we got ours he offered an optional "remote" and it never really worked right, but I don't see it on the website now so maybe he dropped it.

If we had to do it over again we would probably get the same system. In the interest of full disclosure I'll admit that I haven't researched anything since getting this one so there may be other choices that I don't know about.

TexasShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:48 am

If we had to do it over again we would probably get the same system.
Thanks for the attestation, speaks volumes! Could not find reviews or comments about it anywhere, so really appreciate the feedback.
Portable Targets in MN has a multi-use controller that will run the standard PP times, plus a couple of International settings & one setting that can be user set to any time interval needed.  I do not see it listed for sale by itself on their website, only as part of their range kits. Also don't see an audio output to hook up a PA system, if needed. I will call them and ask if it can be purchased separately and the cost.
Does the Target Timers unit have the capability to set custom time limits or just the ones that are pre-programmed on the knob?
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasShooter Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:29 am

No custom times, just the pre-programmed ones. Ours came with bullseye commands already recorded. Hook the audio out to an amplifier, call the commands as normal through the "load" command, and press the button. The system takes over with "is the line ready" and continues on it's own.

TexasShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:01 am

Been using one for over 15 years for our matches.  The times are preset, and with programmed voice control (Han's wife I guess).  The voice comes through very well over our speaker system. 

You can always use the manual control and stopwatch for other times.  The remote connection works great with ours, I use it for training when I'm on the range by myself. 

Make sure you let him know its for NRA bullseye so the face time will be correct.  The option may be on the website now. 

And be sure you read the output voltages for control.  Depending on your air cylinder control system you may need to build an op-amp or relay to get the proper voltages to your solenoid control. 

Anyway, its still working great.

I've got a match calling script with the commands and control ques if you want a copy.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:49 am

Tony, sounds like what Linden, Michigan uses
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:25 am

Tony, sounds like what Linden, Michigan uses
Linden uses the Portable Targets turning system and their Bullseye controller (may go by there and take a close up look at it). The club wants to use the Target Timers system to run the PPC matches (already has the presets) as well, plus cost wise it is somewhat cheaper and fits the need better, imo. The remote start/reset switch is still listed as an option but without a price and I have a call in to Hans in that regard. Update: Hans does not make or sell the remote start/stop switch anymore, as he said that at some locations the cable picks up interference and causes malfunctions. However, he did state that if the end user wanted to make one themselves (maybe with shielded cable) he would provide the details of how to go about doing that. There is a plug-in jack on the back of the controller for the wired remote.
Based on the feedback above, it seems to be a reliable unit and worth the investment. Hans did comment that he has been making and selling these for 20 years or so...

Last edited by TonyH on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:45 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update from the manufacturer)
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:29 am

I've got a match calling script with the commands and control ques if you want a copy.
CR,
I would love to have a copy and thank you for the post and feedback.
Tony
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:39 am

Think the Range Officer timer is what we had on the wall at my previous club.

The way it worked and was used really gave no advantage over one of the timer apps that run on a smartphone. But it seemed to have reliably served many years.

It was just being used to make announcements over the range speakers.  An old smartphone and bluetooth speakers or using the audio jack would have served just as well.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:16 am

Here are 2 sets of commands we use.  One is the the Target Timer and the other is for manual timer control.

We have a 2 target line range (50 yd fixed and 25 yd turning) so we use the target timer only on the the 25 yard line.  Those commands reflect that.

I'll  them up for a few days.  Review carefully, there may still need to be edits for consistency, even after all this time.

Last edited by CR10X on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:30 am

Thank you! Saves me a lot of work!Smile
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content