Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W model 10

+3
rfmiller
Paper-Puncher
Mark_Trulock
7 posters

Go down

S&W model 10 Empty S&W model 10

Post by Mark_Trulock 10/22/2012, 7:49 am

So our friends at Buds guns have S&W model 10 police trade ins for $269. I've been trying to rationalize buying one for some time now. There is a league in the area that shoots bullseye matches for 45/Revolver/22. I was interested in shooting in the league. I'm still quite new at this and have not shot a revolver much. Should i just focus on the guns that I have or will a revolver help me learn better trigger control?

Thanks

Mark

Mark_Trulock

Back to top Go down

S&W model 10 Empty Re: S&W model 10

Post by Paper-Puncher 10/22/2012, 8:04 am

I could be wrong but the model 10 was built in 3'' and 4'' barrel lenghts and it is a fixed sighted gun with the rear sight being just a notch in the top strap....if the gun matches my description it wont be very useful as a " Bullseye " gun IMHO ....You would be better to find a model 14 used somewhere or a 686 with adjustable sights and a barrel more in the 6'' range....A revolver is a whole different animal ..slow fire is pretty much the same but the timed and rapid portions are much more difficult, timed fire isnt to bad going single action but rapid fire I myself struggle with and have yet to come up with a good method for firing it....SA/DA...either way I run out of time or my shots are all over the place.......

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark_Trulock 10/23/2012, 7:06 am

Paper-Puncher

Thanks for the info, especially about rapid fire, also I forgot about the rear sight being fixed.

Thanks again

Mark

Mark_Trulock

Back to top Go down

Post by rfmiller 10/23/2012, 9:40 am

It would be best to get an adjustable sight K or L frame S&W. Not only because of the adjustable sight, but there are optic mounts available for the adjustable sight models (you may want a dot at some point). The mount uses the recess for the sight to help hold it against recoil. 6 " barrels are the most commonly used (good weight balance usually).

rfmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 10/23/2012, 11:44 am

As a bullseye gun? Not a great choice... as a just handy gun, thats super relyable, will fire anyold 38 round [not sure about +P though..] you have hanging around, and just darn fun to plink with? well its your gun!!

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr 10/24/2012, 2:03 pm

The S&W Model 10, chambered in .38 Special, can shoot .38 Special and .38 Special +P, and was produced with 2", 3", 4", 5", and 6" barrels, though the 4" barrel is most common. As others have said, it is a duty gun with fixed sights.

It is as accurate as a target-specific Model 14, though with its non-adjustable sights, you'll have to figure out the POA vs. POI relationship for the type of shooting you'll be doing, and the load you'll be using.

There are scope mounts available for the gun, specifically the Aimtech mount that attaches via the side-plate screws and clamps to the top-strap, but you would not be able to use them for NRA Distinguished Revolver.

Shooting a revolver in sustained fire (timed and rapid) isn't too difficult, either single- or double-action (I use single-action through all stages myself). Figuring out how to hold the gun to cock the hammer without disturbing your grip is important, as is finding a set of DR-legal grips that will allow you to do this. Finding a rhythm for shooting through rapid fire also helps me to fire all shots within the allotted time and accurately.
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

S&W model 10 Empty model 10

Post by tenx9 1/9/2013, 8:11 pm

Great gun. Easy to upgrade and they are very easily avaiable. If you don't want to put a heavy barrel on it, then .38 Masterpiece with target sights, hammer and trigger in a 6" bbl is the wayto go. They are harder to find however. Otherwise, an old police model 10, change bbl, do a trigger job and place a rib on it (either irons or scope mount) and away you go. You'll find rapid fire a challenge at first, but the gun is capable. Bowler made superb grips for it. Don't know if they are still around. I did mine in the 80's. I made into the low 800's with that gun, however for high scores an auto is the way to go, unless your one of the chosen ones with a revolver. Makes a great NRA Action Pistol gun as well. Have fun, its a good choice.

tenx9

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 1/9/2013, 8:36 pm

For bullseye revolver shooting, get the S&W Model 14. Came with adj rear sight and target hammer and trigger. Also can be used for Distingished Revolver matches. As to what a revolver can teach you about trigger control, depends on who is pulling the trigger.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down