Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Sport and in need of equipment suggestions.

3 posters

Go down

New to Sport and in need of equipment suggestions. Empty New to Sport and in need of equipment suggestions.

Post by Fogbank 3/18/2019, 8:10 pm

I am new to this forum and practicing to one day compete in Bullseye (Precision Pistol) competition.  I have a Buckmark Contour .22LR with an Ultra Dot mounted on the rail.  I need to have a rail or bracket attached to my Les Baer National Match .45ACP slide for a red dot sight.  I would appreciate any suggestions for a rail and a red dot optic. 

My research so far has suggested either an Ultra Dot or an Aim Point as the most likely choices.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated, also looking for a Bullseye Gunsmith to attach the rail.

I live in Northern California near San Francisco.

Thank you in advance.

Fogbank

Back to top Go down

New to Sport and in need of equipment suggestions. Empty Re: New to Sport and in need of equipment suggestions.

Post by DA/SA 3/18/2019, 8:13 pm

You need to contact Jon Eulette.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t11310-1911-scope-rail

I'm sure he can assist with all of your needs and he is in CA.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

New to Sport and in need of equipment suggestions. Empty Re: New to Sport and in need of equipment suggestions.

Post by djw1cav 3/19/2019, 9:04 am

Fogbank wrote:I am new to this forum and practicing to one day compete in Bullseye (Precision Pistol) competition.  I have a Buckmark Contour .22LR with an Ultra Dot mounted on the rail.  I need to have a rail or bracket attached to my Les Baer National Match .45ACP slide for a red dot sight.  I would appreciate any suggestions for a rail and a red dot optic. 

My research so far has suggested either an Ultra Dot or an Aim Point as the most likely choices.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated, also looking for a Bullseye Gunsmith to attach the rail.

I live in Northern California near San Francisco.

Thank you in advance.
Fogbank,
I am fairly new to this sport too (5 years).  I started out with iron sights and quickly realized that my 65 year old eyes needed a reddot.  So I put a ultra dot on my 22. 

Then I upgraded to matchdot II's.  I liked it better than the ultradot. 

Then I decided that the scopes were too heavy and the matchdots were performing erratically on low power so I decided to try a Holoson.  I quickly found out they are not as durable as the matchdots.

Finally I purchased a Aimpoint H-2 and could not be happier.  If I had it to do over again and needed a slide mounted red dot I would go straight to either an Aimpoint H1 or H2. They are light weight and reliable.  In the long run you will be time and money ahead.   For non-slide mounted applications you probably dont need an Aimpoint.  There are a number of options in the $200 range that will serve you well.
DJW1CAV

djw1cav

Back to top Go down

Post by Fogbank 3/19/2019, 12:21 pm

DJW1CAV,

Thank you for the information, it is most helpful. I have been a pistol target shooter since 2014 but this is my first effort toward precision pistol.  I retired last year and now have time to do the things I have always wanted to do.

May I ask what slide mounted rail you chose and are you satisfied with it?

Thank you again for the information.

Cheers!

Fogbank

Back to top Go down

Post by djw1cav 3/19/2019, 2:26 pm

Fogbank wrote:DJW1CAV,

Thank you for the information, it is most helpful. I have been a pistol target shooter since 2014 but this is my first effort toward precision pistol.  I retired last year and now have time to do the things I have always wanted to do.

May I ask what slide mounted rail you chose and are you satisfied with it?

Thank you again for the information.

Cheers!
Fogbank,
I have pistols that require adapters for reddots. 

My Mark 3 came with a the threaded holes for their rail.  I have used the Ruger rail with no problems.

My Springfield RO 45 did not have the holes for a rail in the slide.  I purchased a rail from Bob Marvel which also came with the screws to attach it.  I had to drill and tap the holes in my slide to accept the rail. I  It served me well for three years with a Matchdot II mounted on the rail.  If you are going to put a red dot on the slide of a 45 you will have to "tune" the pistol based on the ammunition you are using and the weight of the red dot.  If you send your pistol to a bullseye gunsmith they will be able to guide you with this. 

For my S&W model 52-2 I use a BME dovetail adapter for my Aimpiont H-2.  I have been using it for 6 months and it seems to be holding up well. 

DJW1CAV

I

djw1cav

Back to top Go down

Post by Fogbank 3/19/2019, 8:16 pm

Thank you.

Fogbank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down