Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultradot vs. Aimpoint

+5
PhotoEscape
1joel1
zanemoseley
SteveT
messenger
9 posters

Go down

Ultradot vs. Aimpoint Empty Ultradot vs. Aimpoint

Post by Guest 3/25/2019, 11:16 am

I see several posts extolling the virtues of the Aimpoint H-1.

What distinct advantages do they offer over an Ultradot? If adding custom mount and shade tubes the total cost is probably 3x more for an Aimpoint.

Back to top Go down

Ultradot vs. Aimpoint Empty Re: Ultradot vs. Aimpoint

Post by messenger 3/25/2019, 12:28 pm

The adjustment on the aimpoint is much more accurate than the ultradot. Do the box test. Go 6 clicks right, 6 clicks down, 6 clicks left, 6 clicks up. With the aimpoint you will be back where you started. The ultradot will be a little off. Also one click on an ultradot is equivalent to two on an aimpoint. No negative magnification with the aimpoint. Only drawback to the aimpoint is no adjustment of dot size. YMMV.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 3/25/2019, 1:53 pm

Aimpoints are more expensive. You get what you pay for. I've never heard of an AP getting fogged after shooting in the rain. I've returned 2 or 3 UD for fogging over the years and have heard of a lot more. I have never heard of an AP breaking, having something loosen (except mounts) etc. I've had it happen to an UD and have heard of more. AP batteries last for years. UD batteries die in a year or so of weekly usage. AP are lighter. AP have more linear brightness adjustment.

Aimpoints are just made better, but at 3-4x the cost, they should be. UD hit a good price-performance ratio, especially 20 years ago, there was nothing like it. Nowadays there are lots of competitors in the $150-300 range and if anything UD's have slipped a bit in quality. Certainly their warranty is not as good as it used to be.

To be fair, UD's come with sun/rail shields included, are available in 25 and 30mm diam and can have adjustable dot size to suit the shooter. AP is what it is, take it or leave it.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 3/25/2019, 2:01 pm

If you can hold a heavy pistol look at the Aimpoint 9000SC, its my favorite scope and a lot cheaper than the Aimpoint micros. It has a huge objective as well. You might also look at the Primary Arms MD-ADS, its a very well reviewed clone of the Aimpoints. 

I've had issues with the Ultradot customer service, since then I sold all my UD dots and bought Aimpoint 9000SC's or PrimaryArms micro dots.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 3/26/2019, 9:43 am

The new Nikon dot is pretty good as well.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 3/26/2019, 9:56 am

And I'm pretty much done with adding 1" extensions for Aimpoint Micros that will allow to add Ultradot's accessories, like polarized filter, extension tubes, etc. First anodized samples came back yesterday.

Thinking about making the same for Nikon Tactical. I tested it, and was impressed with accuracy.

Over the years I had two Ultradots failing on me, had to dig out original receipts to prove warranty.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 3/26/2019, 10:40 am

Aimpoint Hands Down!!
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 3/26/2019, 12:26 pm

It was pricey but worth it when I switched over to Aimpoints, H1s with shades (Totts & Shue) plus Kodiak base(s) and a 9000SC with Jon Shue's shades.  
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by spyer40 3/26/2019, 5:10 pm

Have both and like Aimpoints a little better but $$$.  Anyone try Sig Romeo 5's?  They can be had for a $119 at Palmetto and less on Gunbroker.

spyer40

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/27/2019, 8:24 am

Aimpoints are better quality. Besides lack of accessories, the biggest drawback to them, IMHO, is that once they declare a model obsolete, they quit supporting them.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down