Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilson Combat Classic for NRA Precision Pistol

+10
mhayford45
LenV
SW-52
desben
KBarth
TonyH
messenger
TexasShooter
zanemoseley
PilotPhill
14 posters

Go down

Wilson Combat Classic for NRA Precision Pistol Empty Wilson Combat Classic for NRA Precision Pistol

Post by PilotPhill 4/9/2019, 3:08 pm

Hi All,
I am very new to this sport of Bullseye pistol shooting.
What do you think? Is a Wilson Combat Classic with a 3.5lbs trigger pull a good Pistol for this sport? Will I/it be able to hang with the the competitive bullseye shooter using this pistol?
I’ve been reading on The Encyclopedia of Bullseye shooting website and have been learning a lot lately. Very excited to get into this sport.

PilotPhill

Back to top Go down

Wilson Combat Classic for NRA Precision Pistol Empty Re: Wilson Combat Classic for NRA Precision Pistol

Post by zanemoseley 4/9/2019, 3:34 pm

I've never seen a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk or Ed Brown on the line. They just don't cater to our sport. Not to say they don't have good triggers or be accurate but they're not ideal. I would look at a Rock River arm wad cutter pistol for about $2500 or look at a custom build if your budget is in the low to mid $3k range.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Wilson Combat Classic for NRA Precision Pistol Empty Re: Wilson Combat Classic for NRA Precision Pistol

Post by TexasShooter 4/9/2019, 4:44 pm

+1 on Zane's answer if you are shopping for a Bullseye gun. If you already have a Wilson Combat Classic it'll work fine. Wilson makes a good gun and if I remember right I believe that one is full length, has adjustable sights, and a hand-fitted match grade barrel. Hanging with the competitive shooters has a lot more to do with you than the gun (I should know, I've got good guns and still suck). Go shoot bullseye...have fun, and welcome!

TexasShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 4/9/2019, 4:58 pm

Also you can spend a lot less to get going if your budget it tight, if you can swing it the RRA pistol I mentioned will take you a long way. Also budget some cash for reloading, once you but something you gotta feed it.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 4/9/2019, 5:16 pm

zanemoseley wrote:I've never seen a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk or Ed Brown on the line. They just don't cater to our sport. Not to say they don't have good triggers or be accurate but they're not ideal. I would look at a Rock River arm wad cutter pistol for about $2500 or look at a custom build if your budget is in the low to mid $3k range.

The only manufacturers that cater to our sport that I am aware of is Rock River and Les Baer. I have owned both. Great pistols but pricey. When I started Dave Salyer took a $500 base model Springfield and turned it into an 1.5" gun. Now that was about 8-10 years ago. Back then I had about $1000 in the total package. Look around and you can find a used one for $900 to $1000 today.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 4/9/2019, 5:46 pm

Send Dave Salyer an email:
salyeratcomporium.net
He can build you a great BE Pistol at a very reasonable cost. I have  a wad gun and a service pistol from him and they both do the job very well.
Talk to him at length about what you need and he will not steer you wrong.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth 4/9/2019, 5:53 pm

I also have a salyer gun that I might be looking to sell. Pm me if interested
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 4/9/2019, 5:55 pm

Please also consider the forum sponsors! KC Kustom Creations and Accuracy-X build them as good as they get...
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 4/9/2019, 6:11 pm

desben wrote:Please also consider the forum sponsors! KC Kustom Creations and Accuracy-X build them as good as they get...
+1
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/9/2019, 6:48 pm

That pistol should take you to Master. I suggest you shoot it until your worried it's holding you back. I like that choice myself. I would consider it a twofer.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 4/10/2019, 7:52 am

Wilson makes a great pistol. Test it at 50 yards and if it holds 10 ring or better you are in the game. As I like Wilson parts, I have talked with Wilson builders several times in the recent past and they confirm BE is not their game. However, I know the guns will group very well.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye58 4/16/2019, 8:44 am

+1 KC . Has built 2 guns for me. Both tack drivers and KC is a great guy with tons of experience (Marine Corps 2112).
Bullseye58
Bullseye58

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 4/16/2019, 10:50 pm

A friend of mine has two Wilsons and they are very accurate and have good triggers and are nicely made.  The bushings are not as tight as my Salyer built Springfield.  The biggest issue I would have is that my friends pistols do not have adjustable sites but some Wilsons do.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by gregg28 4/17/2019, 5:23 am

Wilson would be fine. It just might not be the most cost effective way. That is, you could get a precision dedicated pistol (Baer or RRA) for a little less or a Springfield or similar and have it accurized for a lot less. Frankly, for most shooters and guns that I have seen, it is the trigger and reliability that are the biggest problems, especially at 25 yards or less.

gregg28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotPhill 4/17/2019, 12:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback!  I think I will use my Wilson for BE while I get started. I'll go from there. Thanks again!

PilotPhill

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 4/17/2019, 2:33 pm

I didn't see anyone mention it, but that 3 1/2 Lb. trigger will keep you out of CMP match events - the minimum is 4 lbs. in centerfire pistol events.  But maybe I've missed yet another rule change.

Last edited by OldShooter43 on 4/17/2019, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo correction)

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/17/2019, 2:48 pm

That takes about 5 minutes to change.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 4/17/2019, 2:54 pm

True enough - for those who know what they're doing.

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/17/2019, 7:50 pm

It's even quicker when you cheat. Well, not cheat exactly. But this sure saves time. Very Happy

Wilson Combat Classic for NRA Precision Pistol 20190415
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 4/17/2019, 8:41 pm

Sure enough.  But the average newbie probably doesn't have three calibrated sear springs for their pistol and the ability to change them out in 5 (?) minutes.

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down