Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W Model 41 Bolt Replacement

4 posters

Go down

S&W Model 41 Bolt Replacement Empty S&W Model 41 Bolt Replacement

Post by Domino1 5/31/2019, 6:17 pm

Does a S&W Model 41 bolt wear to the point where it needs replaced?  I was curious why you would replace one.

Thanks,
Jeff

Domino1

Back to top Go down

S&W Model 41 Bolt Replacement Empty Re: S&W Model 41 Bolt Replacement

Post by cdrt 5/31/2019, 9:24 pm

I replaced one because it was worn enough that the rounds were not seating square/flush to the bolt face.  Because they were kind of cock-eyed I was getting failures to eject since the extractor was not getting a good purchase on them.  Once I put in the new bolt, problem solved.  I just picked a spare for my other 41.
I tried replacing the extractor first, but that did not fix the problem.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 5/31/2019, 9:55 pm

Regarding the bold on Daryl's 41 I wonder if it was not fitted correctly to begin with, I don't know how many rounds Daryls 41 had run though it before the bolt was replaced but I know a lot of shooters have put a lot of rounds through a 41 with no problems other than springs and worn out extractors.  41's sure seem to run in a wide range, those that are close to 100% reliable to ones that are major pains in the backsides.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 6/1/2019, 7:46 am

troystaten wrote:Regarding the bold on Daryl's 41 I wonder if it was not fitted correctly to begin with, I don't know how many rounds Daryls 41 had run though it before the bolt was replaced but I know a lot of shooters have put a lot of rounds through a 41 with no problems other than springs and worn out extractors.  41's sure seem to run in a wide range, those that are close to 100% reliable to ones that are major pains in the backsides.
If you look at the old bolt face, you can see that it has become deformed.  The pistol was built in 1989 and I am the third owner, so I don't have a round count on how much it was used before I got it.  I had put 15,885 rounds through it when I replaced the bolt.  As I mentioned before, I installed a new Volquartson extractor, but that did not fix the problem; the new bolt did.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 6/1/2019, 7:51 am

Replaced probably not, tightened and trued to the barrel and slide yes.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down