Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New RRA Bullseye Wadcutter. Break in???

+2
Wobbley
Laminarman
6 posters

Go down

New RRA Bullseye Wadcutter.  Break in???  Empty New RRA Bullseye Wadcutter. Break in???

Post by Laminarman 6/27/2019, 3:37 pm

After 15 long months received my Rock River wadcutter with sight rail.  There are no instructions whatsoever about breaking the gun in.  I'm going to assume only wadcutters should go through it, as I intend.  I have an STI Trojan with Brazos work on the trigger and his instructions to me were, "Shoot the hell out of it for 500-1000 rounds then it's ready to go."  Not so sure that's very scientific and applies to this gun.   I can get factory ammo, but can also load myself.  They recommend the Federal 185g FMJ wadcutter Federal Competition Gold ammo to guarantee 1.5" accuracy at 50 yards.  What I have on hand is 200g LSWC (about a bajillion bullets) and BE and WST (my go to powder).  I don't know if I should order some 185g bullets, but having trouble finding FMJ SWC, so may go lead.  I will post photos if anyone is interested. ANY advice is appreciated.

Laminarman

Back to top Go down

New RRA Bullseye Wadcutter.  Break in???  Empty Re: New RRA Bullseye Wadcutter. Break in???

Post by Wobbley 6/27/2019, 3:56 pm

Because of availability and that they are more accurate, most use 185 JHP. You can get bulk 185 JHP from https://www.rozedist.com/ and http://www.magnusbullets.com/ Either bullet will work. Load them to 775 fps with either BE or WST. Great long line load.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

New RRA Bullseye Wadcutter.  Break in???  Empty Re: New RRA Bullseye Wadcutter. Break in???

Post by JIMPGOV 6/27/2019, 5:50 pm

WST IS JUST FINE. 4.3GR WITH THE LEAD BULLETS, 4.6GR WITH THE JACKETED.

NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT BREAK IN. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/27/2019, 6:22 pm

Load up your gazillion 200 from lead with 4.0 WST and shoot x’s long and short line.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laminarman 3/24/2020, 12:13 pm

OK long time since I posted about this gun.  Due to things we can't control in life (a sick parent) I put my entire bullseye season on hold last year and didn't shoot at all, let alone shoot my new RRA Bullseye Wadcutter.  So today I finally mounted the red dot and shot some of my hand loads. Lead 200g SWC with 4.0 of WST which ran fine through my STI Trojan (but with a 12lb spring).  I load shoulder to bottom of base .925" FWIW.  In the RRA they barely ejected and failed to feed on over half of the shells. I gave up after ten shots.  I loaded a few with 4.6 and they did much better and fed fine.  While this is within the loading manual recommendations it's higher than others here quoted for WST. Does anyone know the stock spring weight in the RRA?  Not sure as I develop the loads if I should change the spring or "load to the spring" in the gun.  I'd rather leave it stock as that's how it was tuned.  I prefer WST as I have quite a bit and it seems clean to me. I'm one of the few who does NOT enjoy load development as much as just shooting.

Laminarman

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 3/24/2020, 12:21 pm

Load for long line accuracy if you want to use the same load for long & short line. Spring to the load. Now, if you want to use different long and short line loads (to soften recoil on the short line while optimizing accuracy on the long line), you'll have to find a compromise spring. One that will let the soft load function reliably and not let the hotter, long line load batter the frame.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laminarman 3/24/2020, 12:39 pm

Thanks Mike.  That seems to make sense.  I'm not opposed to two different loads but it's one more thing to screw up on shooting days : )

Laminarman

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 3/24/2020, 12:45 pm

I would throw a 10# spring in there and raise the charge till it functions properly. It will likely be very accurate and will have low recoil, I never go under a 10# though.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 3/24/2020, 1:57 pm

YOUR RRA PISTOL IS MUCH TIGHTER THAN AN STI TROJAN. UP THE CHARGE TO 4.1 OR 4.2. OR INCREASE YOUR CRIMP ON THE 4.0 WITH THE 200GR HARD CAST BULLET. TOO LIGHT A CRIMP CAN CAUSE YOUR PROBLEM ALSO. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Laminarman 3/24/2020, 2:07 pm

Thank you Jim.  Yes, I noticed it is a bit tighter for sure.  I'm going to work up some loads and see what happens.  It's not my favorite chore, but then again I'm home for a few weeks.  Hope everyone is safe and healthy. Andy

Laminarman

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 3/24/2020, 2:10 pm

THE GUN IS SPRUNG FROM THE FACTORY TO WORK WITH FEDERAL FACTORY MATCH 45B OR ATLANTA ARMS MATCH 185JHP. I BELIEVE THE FACTORY SPRING IS 12.5 LBS. JP

Last edited by JIMPGOV on 3/24/2020, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : FAT FINGERS)

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Laminarman 3/24/2020, 2:23 pm

Thanks, I need to leave NY to find those so it will have to be PA as I'm five minutes from the border.

Laminarman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down