Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Side protection for people who wear glasses

+8
jlow
james r chapman
DA/SA
Vociferous
xman
Wobbley
Tim:H11
mikemyers
12 posters

Go down

Side protection for people who wear glasses Empty Side protection for people who wear glasses

Post by mikemyers 7/27/2019, 5:22 pm

A light weight, flexible add-on that will enhance your safety glasses, protecting your eye from the sides, for only $4 from Amazon!

Had I known how simple they are, I'd have bought them years ago.
They're available in different sizes, and shapes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RMJ368/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Side protection for people who wear glasses Img_8213
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Side protection for people who wear glasses Empty Re: Side protection for people who wear glasses

Post by Tim:H11 7/27/2019, 5:35 pm

Just be carful. Use a brass screen when at a match or range. It creates a trap for brass that will sit against your face, eye or eye lid and burn you. Maybe not so much CF brass but rimfire can be caught in there. Happened to someone I know wearing sideblinders at the time. Not a good feeling.

Back to top Go down

Side protection for people who wear glasses Empty Re: Side protection for people who wear glasses

Post by mikemyers 7/27/2019, 6:22 pm

Tim:H11 wrote:Just be carful. Use a brass screen when at a match or range. It creates a trap for brass that will sit against your face, eye or eye lid and burn you. Maybe not so much CF brass but rimfire can be caught in there. Happened to someone I know wearing sideblinders at the time. Not a good feeling.
Ouch!!!

After reading what you wrote, I went alongside a mirror, put on my cap, looked ahead as if I was shooting, and captured this image.  What you wrote is scary, but what scares me even more is what if I wasn't using them?

I'm not sure where I would put a brass screen....  I guess I could figure something out.  After reading what you wrote, and looking at this image, I think they're more likely to help than to hurt, but maybe a better cap would improve things?  What kind of cap do you wear?

(Gee, I really need to clean my mirror!!!!!)

Side protection for people who wear glasses Img_6510
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 7/27/2019, 10:09 pm

I just wear a ball cap. I also shoot with side blinders now when I didn’t used to. The thing to be aware of is if you have a shooter next to you that’s got a rimfire gun that slings brass right at you, then it’s time to put up a brass screen. It’s just a square mesh wire screen some shooters use and they clip it on to the lid of their shooters box. In the end you won’t know for sure if your efforts will keep a freak accident from happening or not. Do what makes you comfortable so you can focus on shooting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/27/2019, 10:33 pm

Some use these:

https://whiteflyer.com/product/white-flyer-side-shields/
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 7/27/2019, 11:18 pm

Last two matches I shot in to the left of me was a aw93. kept bouncing brass off my barrel as I prepared to shoot. In the next match the lady was shooting a Marvel conversion and the brass kept hitting me in the chest, arm and all over.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/28/2019, 6:44 am

Tim:H11 wrote:I just wear a ball cap. I also shoot with side blinders now when I didn’t used to. The thing to be aware of is if you have a shooter next to you that’s got a rimfire gun that slings brass right at you, then it’s time to put up a brass screen. It’s just a square mesh wire screen some shooters use and they clip it on to the lid of their shooters box. In the end you won’t know for sure if your efforts will keep a freak accident from happening or not. Do what makes you comfortable so you can focus on shooting.
Two matches ago, the person on my left was "spraying" me with 22 brass.  I didn't know what to say or do, nor did I know what to say to the person, if anything.  At the time, I figured the best I could do was to get shooting glasses with side protection, but they don't protect "from above".  The type that Amazon sells protect a lot more (but not perfectly) from above, and should protect me from injury from the side.  As you pointed out though, they only reduce the chances of being hurt, they don't eliminate it.  If it happens again (when, not if) I will try to move forward or backwards a little, to move out of the "line of fire".  

I had a set of prescription shooting glasses all set, with side protection, and an "upside down D area for my steel sight prescription", but they offered no protection from above.  

Oh well, I'll see how these glasses work at today's match.   I need to stop typing, and start driving.   :-)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous 7/28/2019, 12:28 pm

If it's hot and humid where you shoot, having your eyes enclosed in plastic can cause some fogging. I have Decot shooting glasses with side blinders, which I use depending on the sun and/or there's a pretty girl shooting next to me. I tried shooting with some wrap-around glasses instead, and I wasn't into my second string of slow fire before I had to take them off. Fogging. YMMV.

PS. A shooting screen is the ticket. I have just one, to protect me from brass to the head/eyes. I'll suffer 22 burns to the arm, torso.

PC
Vociferous
Vociferous

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 7/28/2019, 12:44 pm

Maybe being left handed (and left eye dominant) actually does have an advantage...
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/28/2019, 1:49 pm

I use Belgium blinders from my trapshooting days

Side protection for people who wear glasses 9daaed10

Last edited by james r chapman on 7/28/2019, 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/28/2019, 4:30 pm

I got to wear those $3 accessories at the match today.  Very comfortable, no fogging, and because I didn't have anyone on my left, I don't know how well they would have worked, only how well I think they would have worked. The president of my club suggested I paint them black.  I'll have to think about that.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by jlow 7/28/2019, 7:02 pm

I use Oakley Type M glasses.  These have semi wrap around lens which protects you from material coming at you from the side which is one big reason the military used them.  They also Meets or exceeds high mass and high velocity impact requirements per ANSI Z87.1-2003/2010.

I work as a safety officer in ranges where people frequently shoot at steel targets which results in lead fragments flying through air all the time.  Remember, you also have to protect your eyes from the UV sun rays which will give you cataracts so a good quality sunglasses is a must if you are outside.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9024?variant=700285111629&cid=PM-FGS_000000-PLA_700285111629_Oakley%20Men%27s%20M%20Frame%E2%84%A2%20Sunglasses&cid=PM-FGS_000000-PLA+-+Smart+Shopping+-+June+2019+-+Eyewear-700285111629&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxKK0yOjY4wIVEb7ACh3PPAh0EAYYASABEgIm_fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

jlow

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/28/2019, 8:09 pm

Oh, what the Hell....

Pilla Competition glasses
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 7/29/2019, 8:54 am

mikemyers wrote:I got to wear those $3 accessories at the match today.  Very comfortable, no fogging, and because I didn't have anyone on my left, I don't know how well they would have worked, only how well I think they would have worked. The president of my club suggested I paint them black.  I'll have to think about that.

Those side shields also come in "smoke" which is IMO better than black. The big advantage is that you still get some light, and some sense of depth through them, which helps me a lot in stability. With full blinders, the lack of peripheral vision input makes me wobble.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 7/29/2019, 9:19 am

james r chapman wrote:Oh, what the Hell....

Is there any place one can try on these glasses before dropping 300-1200 dollars on them?
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/29/2019, 9:30 am

adminbot1911 wrote:
james r chapman wrote:Oh, what the Hell....

Is there any place one can try on these glasses before dropping 300-1200 dollars on them?
Big trapshoots
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/29/2019, 10:10 am

-TT- wrote:Those side shields also come in "smoke" which is IMO better than black. The big advantage is that you still get some light, and some sense of depth through them, which helps me a lot in stability. With full blinders, the lack of peripheral vision input makes me wobble.

Thanks for the suggestion - I just ordered a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Hazard-Safety-Glass-SideShield-SMOKE/dp/B00IXYTQIM/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/145-3395861-7086027?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00IXYTQIM&pd_rd_r=9ff27af2-2f16-4072-8546-7bb2fda9e95e&pd_rd_w=SJX3G&pd_rd_wg=eVecK&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=ADXV2FZERE6PWXNFJM7Y&psc=1&refRID=ADXV2FZERE6PWXNFJM7Y

Side protection for people who wear glasses 41gv9uKyboL
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 7/30/2019, 10:18 am

I use Decot Hy Wyds,  

I get them from Doc Toler, (reminds me I need to make an appt for a checkup, )

I use the standard plastic blinders they came with, and a peice of scotch tape, or medical tape, over my eye (the one I don't shoot with),  just because,,

I have seen folks use just about everything to improvise blinders, 

guy on Utube, high power shooter that goes by Konrad, uses Nilla wafer or Oreo box parts,
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Side protection for people who wear glasses Empty Think of those poor high end world class shooters....

Post by xman 7/30/2019, 11:38 am

side shields are no longer allowed and the non aiming eye limited to 40mm in width.I have seen single shot shooters really snap the bolt back and send brass real far. I was the victim myself back in college. Had brass go down my collar, down my sleeve, ping off my barrel etc. Even had one land in my loading port, facing the correct way!
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 7/30/2019, 2:28 pm

Xman, that requirement is not for NRA Precision (Conventional, aka "Bullseye"). That's basically an "Olympic" type rule.  There are no limitations for side shields or oculars (non-shooting eye covers) in the NRA Conventional Pistol rule book.  

For everyone else, as far as getting hit by brass, the NRA rules allow the shooter to specifically use a brass screen.  I highly suggest you have one in your gun box for just such occasions. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Side protection for people who wear glasses Empty I was just feeling sorry for them..the world class shooters

Post by xman 7/30/2019, 3:10 pm

CR10X wrote:Xman, that requirement is not for NRA Precision (Conventional, aka "Bullseye"). That's basically an "Olympic" type rule.  There are no limitations for side shields or oculars (non-shooting eye covers) in the NRA Conventional Pistol rule book.  

For everyone else, as far as getting hit by brass, the NRA rules allow the shooter to specifically use a brass screen.  I highly suggest you have one in your gun box for just such occasions. 

CR
I know BE rules have no real limitation..was just making a point, observation and pitying the fools...LOL
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/30/2019, 3:21 pm

xman wrote:........... I was the victim myself back in college. Had brass go down my collar, down my sleeve, ping off my barrel etc. Even had one land in my loading port, facing the correct way!
All of that stuff is bad enough, but without side protection, there's nothing but luck prevenient a shell from hurting your eye.
Long ago I never even thought of that stuff - but that was before I had someone a few feet to my left, spraying me with brass.  
I like the idea of a screen; need to consider that.  Screen on one side, brass catcher on the other.    :-/
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down