Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redding 32ACP seating die stem is too short?

5 posters

Go down

Redding 32ACP seating die stem is too short? Empty Redding 32ACP seating die stem is too short?

Post by javaduke 8/3/2019, 12:04 pm

I started loading my 32acp ammo with T&B bullets this morning and noticed that regardless of how I adjust my expander, I still get a little bit of lead shaving when the bullet is seated. So I realized that when the seating die is in so that it just touches the edge of the case, I don't have enough threads on the seating stem to drive the bullet to the required depth. And if I screw the die itself a little bit further, it starts crimping the case before the bullet is fully seated. 
Wondering if anyone else has this issue and what is the solution. I use Redding seating die #92220 on Dillon 650.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Redding 32ACP seating die stem is too short? Empty Re: Redding 32ACP seating die stem is too short?

Post by orpheoet 8/3/2019, 12:11 pm

Are you using a stepped expander? The T&B bullet is wider than most .32 bullets
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Redding 32ACP seating die stem is too short? Empty Re: Redding 32ACP seating die stem is too short?

Post by javaduke 8/3/2019, 12:29 pm

orpheoet wrote:Are you using a stepped expander? The T&B bullet is wider than most .32 bullets
Yes, I do, I got several expanders from PhotoEscape, they work really good. when I put the bullet into the expanded case, it seats very straight, so I don't think the problem is the case expansion. I'm 100% sure the problem is with the seating die. If I slowly raise the shell plate, I can feel it when the seating stem starts pushing the bullet in, then suddenly there's more resistance, because it starts crimping the case before the bullet is fully seated. I have a separate crimping die on stage 5, so I don't want any crimping to occur during the bullet seating.

Just thought this may explain why I'm not getting any good groups on the long line. I went through all 25 pages of the thread on TargetTalk, but couldn't find any solid recommendation on dies, especially the seating die.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 8/3/2019, 12:41 pm

I stand corrected - I just checked and the seating die I use is from the Redding PRO set - it is not *supposed* to crimp the case, and yet it does...

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/3/2019, 12:41 pm

I have also just started trying to work up a "softer" short line load using the T&B bullets. I had my XL650 press set up for Hornady 60 gr XTP, using the Photoescape multi part PTU - all worked beautifully. But when I switched to the T&B bullets I could not get sufficient flare on the cases (brand new starline brass). Lots of lead rings and a general mess.

I switched to the standard Dillon expander and created a big flare. Bullets are now much easier to position (by hand - very fiddly). But I still find that I have to "help" the bullets into the seating die (Hornady TiNi Custom with micrometer) carefully so that they stay very straight - otherwise the seating punch deforms the bullet nose. (OK, so maybe I need a custom seating punch).

I'm using a light taper crimp. Generally OK, but I have had at least one FTF due to the bullet being pushed back into the case and then catching as it is fed into the breech.

I've also determined that my HP32 does not like very light loads - I tried 1.4gr of VN310 (as suggested on another thread here) - lots of problems. This amount is right at the bottom limit of the charge bar on my Dillon and I suspect I got a few under-weight charges. Next batch I'll try 1.6 gr and check every charge for the first 20 or so. Try again!

Reloading 32 is not a simple game!

More experimentation and development needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 8/3/2019, 1:45 pm

Guys,
Not to imply anything, but if you are using for T&B same expander as you used for XTP, it will do exactly as you experience.  0.3145" & 0.3155" are for later.  For T&B you need at least 0.3165", or better yet 0.3175" expander. 
Lead bullet requires at least extra 0.0015" case expansion.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 8/3/2019, 2:04 pm

radjag wrote:I have also just started trying to work up a "softer" short line load using the T&B bullets. I had my XL650 press set up for Hornady 60 gr XTP, using the Photoescape multi part PTU - all worked beautifully. But when I switched to the T&B bullets I could not get sufficient flare on the cases (brand new starline brass). Lots of lead rings and a general mess.

I switched to the standard Dillon expander and created a big flare. Bullets are now much easier to position (by hand - very fiddly). But I still find that I have to "help" the bullets into the seating die (Hornady TiNi Custom with micrometer) carefully so that they stay very straight - otherwise the seating punch deforms the bullet nose. (OK, so maybe I need a custom seating punch).

I'm using a light taper crimp. Generally OK, but I have had at least one FTF due to the bullet being pushed back into the case and then catching as it is fed into the breech.

I've also determined that my HP32 does not like very light loads - I tried 1.4gr of VN310 (as suggested on another thread here) - lots of problems. This amount is right at the bottom limit of the charge bar on my Dillon and I suspect I got a few under-weight charges. Next batch I'll try 1.6 gr and check every charge for the first 20 or so. Try again!

Reloading 32 is not a simple game!

More experimentation and development needed.
Hmm. I use a Dillon 550, Dillon sizing die, and Photo Escapes PTU. I load T&B almost exclusively, never had any issues, particularly since I got PEs stepped PTU.

I load 1.35 gr of 310, very accurate at 25y (which is all I really shoot) and feeds super in both my Pardini and SP20.  I use the UniqueTek micrometer and the XSmall Dillon powder bar (which I believe is important). I use a similar setup for 32 long, same load.

I load both .314 and .312 T&B bullets,  (SP20 has tighter barrel),  coated and uncoated, and use different PTU sizes accordingly.  Starline brass.

Last edited by gregbenner on 8/3/2019, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 8/3/2019, 2:05 pm

+1 on the expander for T&B.

Also, I use an RCBS die set and I had to make my own longer seating stem when set up in the Dillon 550.  i ran out of threads on the stock seating stem.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 8/3/2019, 2:05 pm

OK, back to the original problem - so what seating dies do you guys use?

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 8/3/2019, 2:13 pm

javaduke wrote:OK, back to the original problem - so what seating dies do you guys use?
I use Dillon’s for seating and crimping (stage 3 and 4 in a 550).

Radjag, what size PTU are you using?

Last edited by gregbenner on 8/3/2019, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 8/3/2019, 2:14 pm

I use the .3175" PTU.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/3/2019, 2:20 pm

I need to go measure my PTU's - I bought them from PE for 32SWL - but the standard Dillon expander actually works fine for now, puts sufficient flare for me to manually seat the T&B bullet.

I'm using Hornady TiNi Custom seating die. Works fine as long as the T&B bullet is fed straight into the die.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down