Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your favorite .45 taper crimp die?

3 posters

Go down

What's your favorite .45 taper crimp die? Empty What's your favorite .45 taper crimp die?

Post by blindshooter Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:42 pm

I want to try a bit more crimp for my .45 lead loads, I read where lots of folks use as much as .463, right now I'm just straightening them up .469-.470.
Mostly using Zero 185 swc but considering trying those Brazos 160 coated. Loading 3.7gr BE under the 185 and it seems a little inconsistent, works much better on a hot day. The gun runs perfect even cold so I was thinking a bit more crimp might be all I need instead of more powder? I have Dillon, RCBS and Lee dies now, mostly using the Dillon in a 1050. Just wondering what others thought the best die for that much crimp might be? Hoping to save some setup time fooling with that 1050......
TIA

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite .45 taper crimp die? Empty Re: What's your favorite .45 taper crimp die?

Post by LenV Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Actually I have found there is only one die that gets you down to .463 smoothly and feels good doing it. I use Lee for almost everything but the .45 Taper crimp has to be a Dillon. I didn't spend years figuring this out. I asked Roddy Toyota what die I needed to use to get his crimp and he told me. I use Lee for the jacketed stuff.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite .45 taper crimp die? Empty Re: What's your favorite .45 taper crimp die?

Post by blindshooter Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks Len, the dillon is already in press. Next session I'll run it down some and see what happens.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:03 pm

I use an RCBS seat-tapercrimp die without the seat.  Best crimper in town for jackets.  Also lead if you dont mind the cleaning hassle

But with lead and lube, I use dillon crimper for the cleaning take apart.  Also a good crimper.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down