Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fundamental alignment question

+2
mspingeld
thessler
6 posters

Go down

Fundamental alignment question Empty Fundamental alignment question

Post by thessler 9/2/2019, 6:32 am

Hi
I have gone back to square one,  removed the dot and replaced the irons. I am shooting at blank targets trying to get groups. 
Sometimes when I shoot, the gun goes bang and the recoil comes straight back and the sights stay aligned,  I feel like that is a good shot it certainly feels right and it try to remember what I did to repeat it. And I usually cant. 
What I'm finding is quite a few times the gun goes bang and the front of the barrel jumps up and left for and instant then returns to its original lined up position. I'm guessing that's a bad shot . Problem is I can't figure out why it's doing that. I have tried moving my grip and moving my trigger finger and neither seem to have an effect. 
I might do that for five or six shots in a row and then it will just go away, and shoot nice and straight. And of course the problem returns just when I think I'm doing well .
Any ideas on why I'm causing this greatly appreciated. 
Thanks , Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Fundamental alignment question Empty Re: Fundamental alignment question

Post by mspingeld 9/2/2019, 9:20 am

I've been shooting irons lately. I got my first points at Perry, by the skin of my teeth, and decided, if I want to get better with irons, I have to shoot them more than once or twice a year. Another reason is many high masters have told me that shooting irons will help with shooting dot (and vice versa). It's been eye opening. Scores are 200+ points lower for a 2700 which I didn't expect. Same issues (loss of focus, jerking or too slow on the trigger), just more pronounced.

My theory is that your grip is loosening on the shots with the increased recoil but wait for better shooters than me to weigh in. I will definitely follow this post.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 9/2/2019, 10:08 am

First thought is grip and wrist. Inconsistent wrist tightness probably has the biggest effect on direction of recoil.

The angle or location of you elbow can also affect it. Look at your elbow when each of the conditions happen. Is there a difference? is the elbow facing up in one condition and more to the side in the other? Elbow rotation affects the rotation of the wrist also.

To change the angle of you elbow extend your arm out in shooting position. Rotate your entire arm to the right as far as it will go. Rotate with an axis running down the middle of your arm, so you are rotating the gun so the sights are on the side. Now bring the gun back to firing position mostly using the wrist to rotate back. Look at the inside of your elbow. Is it point up (right handed)? Now, rotate your entire are to left as far as it will go, then return the gun to normal firing position. Your elbow will probably be rotated left of the previous position.

Note that shooting a lot, especially full power loads, with the elbow in a position that it can't bend when the gun recoils can result in injury. I'm not a Dr., but I have experienced elbow pain as a result of rotating my arm to the left (right handed shooter) trying to reduce recoil movement. I don't know how serious it was, but take this as a warning.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 9/2/2019, 11:46 am

A few thoughts that may bring contention from some:

1) Why are you trying to figure out how to do something you don't want to do?

If you have shots that are working to your liking, study the details of those shots.

2) You can't duplicate a previous action by trying to duplicate a previous action.

You are not approaching that action in the way you did previously.  Instead, create a routine to follow and refine it into the action you wish to perform.  In that manner you can approach each shot with the same mindset.

3) Rehearse your process mentally as often as you can, always visualizing perfection.

When you dry/live fire, always look for positive indicators that the process is unfolding as it should.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 9/2/2019, 12:46 pm

Ed Hall wrote:A few thoughts that may bring contention from some:

1) Why are you trying to figure out how to do something you don't want to do?

If you have shots that are working to your liking, study the details of those shots.

2) You can't duplicate a previous action by trying to duplicate a previous action.

You are not approaching that action in the way you did previously.  Instead, create a routine to follow and refine it into the action you wish to perform.  In that manner you can approach each shot with the same mindset.

3) Rehearse your process mentally as often as you can, always visualizing perfection.

When you dry/live fire, always look for positive indicators that the process is unfolding as it should.

I wish we had 'Likes' on this forum...

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/2/2019, 1:03 pm

I like to say "know what a 10 looks like and feels like". When you start to discover this, you strive to replicate it. You can break down the feel; grip before shot and after shot, stance before shot and after shot, trigger squeeze when breaking the shot. Follow through plays into this. I believe follow through is more important when beginning and not as crucial when you get the other fundamentals down. I can tell by the recoil immediately if a shot was good; feel. If everything feels good and shots are not on call its your trigger squeeze.
So remember the good shots and move past the bad ones because they don't help.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down