Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger reset: Hold through follow-through or immediate reset

+2
Wobbley
adminbot1911
6 posters

Go down

Trigger reset: Hold through follow-through or immediate reset Empty Trigger reset: Hold through follow-through or immediate reset

Post by adminbot1911 9/7/2019, 6:40 am

I saw a video posted recently where a member was coming off the trigger almost immediately after trigger break.  That seemed odd to me, whose natural follow-through includes all four fingers in tension until sights back on target (not center of target, but certainly after the barrel snaps back to forward).  But before I offered my feedback I needed a sanity check.  I'd never been taught one way or another so I did some research to see what the pros do.  

I looked up videos and articles by Gunny Zins and came up empty.  Searching the forum for the topic came up empty.  General Google searches on the topic came up empty.

I went back and watched some international RF championship videos including Keith Sanderson's gold medal performance in 2014 and there is no way NOT to do an immediate reset and have a good performance.  

What say you?  I find that even in RF 10 seconds is more than enough time for full recoil pulse recovery with sights in the general area of the target, release to reset, squeeze while aligning sights to target, break, repeat...  I hold fairly hard so the recoil recovery takes only a fraction of a second.  I've always thought that pressure on trigger through recoil impulse was part of proper follow through.  Looking forward to thoughts from the field. 
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Trigger reset: Hold through follow-through or immediate reset Empty Re: Trigger reset: Hold through follow-through or immediate reset

Post by Wobbley 9/7/2019, 9:10 am

Well, Gunny Zins has stated that follow through does NOT mean to re-acquire the target after the gun has completed recoil so there is that.

I think that the easiest to remember is to reset as the gun comes down from the peak of the recoil. That way your ready for the next shot when the sight picture settles in sustained fire.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Trigger reset: Hold through follow-through or immediate reset Empty Re: Trigger reset: Hold through follow-through or immediate reset

Post by Jack H 9/7/2019, 10:07 am

Normally, my mind never sees the trigger release in any sort of awareness.  I believe the next trigger press is more important than the last release, and the press should be automatic.  If awareness of the release does enter the mind, I am "stinkin thinkin".
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 9/7/2019, 9:30 pm

If you're not already pressing for the next shot before your sights align into the black, you're behind time.  The object is not to find center and then start your shot.  It is to accomplish "Bang!" as your sights align within your area of aim.  The sight picture is dynamic.  If you wait until you're in the center to start, you will be somewhere else when it fires.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 9/8/2019, 8:22 pm

What Zins says about follow through is probably not exactly the same as the OP was trying to describe. I think Ed captured the essence of the answer. You do need to completely finish the last shot before starting the next one. But you can start the next one before the sights get back to the black.

I'm generally off the trigger around the the top of the recoil and back on the trigger to help get the dot / sights back down into the black (or sub six with open sights) for the next shot (when things are going well).

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 9/8/2019, 10:06 pm

I took a Jon Shue and William Bethards (William is a member of the Cabot team, along with Jon) Bullseye clinic and one of their sayings is ‘Out-Back, your favorite restaurant’.  They of course were not referring to actual eating, but how quickly (if I can use that word) one needs to release and get back on the trigger.  It is in line with what Ed is saying above.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 9/9/2019, 7:34 am

Good responses all.  To be clear I have never intentionally started my squeeze after the sights are in the black.  I just felt like the violence and action of the recoil pulse was not a good time to be letting off the trigger and never had time concerns so no reason to change.  Will try it out.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 9/9/2019, 8:50 am

Jack H wrote:Normally, my mind never sees the trigger release in any sort of awareness.  I believe the next trigger press is more important than the last release, and the press should be automatic.  If awareness of the release does enter the mind, I am "stinkin thinkin".
Exactly, I never thought about it before, which was why I brought it here.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down