Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Nolan Smyth's "Hosercam" still available somewhere?

4 posters

Go down

Is Nolan Smyth's "Hosercam" still available somewhere? Empty Is Nolan Smyth's "Hosercam" still available somewhere?

Post by mikemyers 9/19/2019, 4:10 pm

According to the text after the video, this was filmed with a "Hosercam".

"This video, taken with a Hosercam, shows the focus from a shooter's point of view during a service pistol rapid fire string."

After some searching, I found the Hosercam website:
https://www.hosercam.com

I sent an email to try to reach Nolan Smyth, but no reply yet.

Anybody here know if these cameras are still available, and even if they are, how Keith Sanderson was able to put the camera behind the gun so it's right where his eye is supposed to be???
Maybe some people here know him personally?  The shooting products are no longer available - I'd be happy just to know how he got it to work, without blocking the shooter's eye.....
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Is Nolan Smyth's "Hosercam" still available somewhere? Empty Re: Is Nolan Smyth's "Hosercam" still available somewhere?

Post by Wobbley 9/19/2019, 4:24 pm

There is this.

https://www.aimcam.com/products/aimcam-pro-2-black
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is Nolan Smyth's "Hosercam" still available somewhere? Empty Re: Is Nolan Smyth's "Hosercam" still available somewhere?

Post by mikemyers 9/19/2019, 5:04 pm

Wow - that is a great find!!!!!   Both for what I want to do, and to take to India with me to record certain types of eye surgery.

Thank you!!!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 9/19/2019, 6:01 pm

His website says "I am no longer making or selling HoserCam systems. I will continue service and repairs until October 2008." I think that is your answer. That said, the system pictured on his web page is not what took this video. The Hoser Cam is on the side of the head. This video was shot with the camera looking right down the sights.

This video was made by the AMU. They have some pretty clever guys and lots of resources. I bet they made a custom camera and goggles system that probably cost a lot of money in the 90's. Maybe the Army already had a system used for training. I could see it as really valuable to review the tapes after a close quarters combat exercise.

My first attemp to recreate something like this was using a normal digital camera in movie mode and a lot of + diopter lens in front of my eye to focus on the screen a couple of inches in front of my eye. It kind of worked, but the screen didn't update all that fast and I couldn't make a support system sturdy enough to hold everything in place on my head.

My next attempt was using a Pogo Cam that attaches to the arm of glasses, very similar to the Hoser Cam pictures. Even putting the camera on the inside of my glasses against my temple it could not see the dot in the tube. I thought if the camera could see the dot in the tube, even if it's off center it would be valuable as a teaching tool. Unfortunately it didn't work.

My next attempt was using a set of goggles that are Google Cardboard compatible. If you are not familiar with this, it's a simple headset that uses your smartphone as the display. It's great for watching movies, but it didn't work using the smarphone camera. I drilled a hole in the goggles in front of the phone camera, but the phone displays the camera image as one picture in front of both eyes. As a result, the camera is not where my normal eye is, so there was a weird offset in the view. I could have gotten used to it (probably), but I didn't want to screw up my "normal" shooting just to get a cool video. It can display in 3D mode, so each eye sees a separate image, but I couldn't find a setting or app that would allow me display in this mode with the phone's internal camera. That would bring the center of the image closer to my eye, but would probably still be too far off.

I am now working on a setup that uses FPV Goggles and Camera. I'll mount the camera on the front of the goggles to make a smaller version of the what I think was used in the AMU video. I have all the parts, but haven't had time to put it together and try it out. Hopefully in the next week or two I'll make a first try. If it works, a system could be assembled for a few hundred dollars.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 9/19/2019, 6:11 pm

Not sure either the Hosercam or the aimcam alone will give you the same picture that is in that video.  My understanding in that video the camera is used to aim the gun and the shooter was aiming by watching the live video via a heads up display.  Which makes sense because it is the only way you would be able to see directly down line of sight, the camera would have the eye's position in the line of sight.
- Dave

Steve has it right, I walked away from my post when Steve posted his reply.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 9/19/2019, 6:23 pm

What I was dreaming of, was placing a 50% mirror on the glasses, and have the camera off to the side.  Once adjusted the camera will record what the eye sees.  The shooter would see what he normally sees, but it would be a little less bright because half the light goes to him, and half to the camera.

I have no way to make one though...........
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum