Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How due you rates these 1911 for value and workmenship?

+13
1joel1
BE Mike
zanemoseley
mikemyers
Wobbley
Olde Pilot
LenV
adminbot1911
DA/SA
messenger
weber1b
james r chapman
smsnyder
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How due you rates these 1911 for value and workmenship? - Page 2 Empty How due you rates these 1911 for value and workmenship?

Post by smsnyder Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

DanWesson, Springfield, Kimber, Smith and Wesson, Sig Sauer. Any problems with any of these 1911? I am considering buying a Target 45.

Last edited by smsnyder on Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

How due you rates these 1911 for value and workmenship? - Page 2 Empty Re: How due you rates these 1911 for value and workmenship?

Post by smsnyder Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:28 pm

I am leaning towards a dan wesson pointman. From what I am told at several big gun shops it is the closest thing to an ed brown custom pistol etc without spending over $2500. Its owned by CZ.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

How due you rates these 1911 for value and workmenship? - Page 2 Empty Re: How due you rates these 1911 for value and workmenship?

Post by smsnyder Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:37 pm

I like to bench all my pistols at 10,15,25 40 and 50 yards
. Shows the true accuracy of the pistol. Off hand shooting is a different game. I guess I picked this up when I repaired and tested guns in the military. Training was at aberdeen proving grounds in md. All military small arms are tested there. I was once a long range rifle shooter. Shot many groundhogs at 1000 plus yards with a custom 6.5x284 rifle.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:44 pm

Thanks guys. I guess gun technology has changed alot since 50 years ago. I'm still learning. Lol

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:47 pm

I had a target that had a house fly as a bullseye. Won many bets that I could hit the fly at 200 yards. Scope was 8x42 nightforce scope. Lol

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:33 pm

james r chapman wrote:Because the current Colt Gold Cup National Match carries only the name of it's esteemed predecessor....

I have two, a Series 70 and Series 80...they’re not very esteemed.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:59 pm

smsnyder wrote:The only pistols I am impressed with so far is the cz Shadow 2 accushadow. I don't think there is a better 9mm target gun out there. I will die with this pistol. 

Forgive me for my skepticism but that seems to be the same as what I read about the P320 Legion 3 weeks ago
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:00 pm

smsnyder wrote:What the heck is a wad gun?
Just curious - how much shooting have you already done, using only your right hand, at 25 or 50 yards, with any gun?

Reading your questions reminds me of when I first came to this forum, and didn't yet realize that much of what I thought I knew was wrong or irrelevant.

As to buying a gun, why not keep watching the COMMERCIAL forum on this site, and spend $1500 or so on a used Wad Gun that already is set up to do Bullseye.  It might even come with a red dot sight.  Also, once you have it, what ammo are you planning to shoot?  Do you have s reloader system set up?  If not, what will you be shooting?  Maybe enter a thread asking about one, and put WTB at the subject title, which stands here for Want To Buy.  Every time I've done that, someone writes me back with a good gun that I can afford, and is probably better than anything I could buy on GunBroker for half the price....

An even smarter suggestion is to start with a 22, but you probably won't like that advice any more than I did several years ago.  
After you get your 45, and start doing your dry-fire practice, and lots of range trips, you'll probably appreciate being able to work with a 22 for some of the time.

(I bought a used Springfield Armory gun built by Dave Salyer for around $1500 or so, and still have it, and it's as good today as the day I bought it.  It's me (read "you") that needs to learn.  )
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Just looked - this is in the COMMERCIAL forum, and maybe it would make a good gun for you to start out with:
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t13253-ruger-sr1911-with-sig-sauer-red-dot-sight-45acp

Even has a red dot sight.  You'll need to get appropriate ammo, and likely put in a lighter recoil spring, unless that's already installed.  Under $1000 too, and Ruger is a good brand.

I think you can buy suitable Bullseye Ammo from "Zero Manufacturing", and for a good price.  I was told they sell it, but I never got around to checking it out.  If you like it, you could contact Dave Salyer, and ask him to set it up for you, if it needs anything changed.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:53 pm

You need to take a step back and figure out what you really need. Are you dedicated to shooting bullseye? If so get a new or used wadgun which is acccurized for our sport and has a good trigger and rail for your dot. If you're just looking for a high dollar safe queen like an Ed Brown then you're asking the wrong guys. I've never seen an Ed Brown or Nighthawk at a match, there's a reason.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:08 am

I agree with Wobbley about the Gold Cups. I started off in the 70's with a series 70. It didn't group well (barely held the black) at 50 yds. I went with a Jim Clark, Sr. "heavy slide" and my scores took off! If you are really going to shoot 2700's outdoors, I'd recommend you get a really good bullseye pistol. I'll add this into the mix: https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=138
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:31 am

smsnyder wrote:No gunsmith I could find would work on a kimber trigger.

Jon did a phenomenal trigger job for me on my Kimber.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 am

My series 80 (Gold Cup) with a "Lee" rest at 50yds with ASYM ammo. I don't think the flyer was part of the 10 shot group but it might of been. I staple a lot of targets up at once.

How due you rates these 1911 for value and workmenship? - Page 2 Dscf0739

The Kimber Target Match with same ammo. It would have probably been better shot in Ransome rest.
How due you rates these 1911 for value and workmenship? - Page 2 Dscf0740

And then there's a wadcutter shot off a sandbag using one hand. Range Officer 25 yds
How due you rates these 1911 for value and workmenship? - Page 2 20180318
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:33 pm

BE Mike wrote:I agree with Wobbley about the Gold Cups. I started off in the 70's with a series 70. It didn't group well (barely held the black) at 50 yds. I went with a Jim Clark, Sr. "heavy slide" and my scores took off! If you are really going to shoot 2700's outdoors, I'd recommend you get a really good bullseye pistol. I'll add this into the mix: https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=138
Early Gold Cups were quite good.  My 1963 made GC grouped about 2" at 50 from the Ransom with Winchester yellow box factory JSWC.  I got my first couple legs with it.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 am

I also have a "new" series 70 GCNM.  It is all that everyone says; sloppy frame/slide fit, sloppy trigger fit, bad thumb safety fit.  But the steel is very good (tested its hardness).  I just wanted the rampant pony so I bought it.  I got a Kart Exact-a-fit kit and their install kit (shop bushing, barrel alignment fixture and upper lug file) which went in very well, and with my skill level I am pretty sure I have a two and a half inch gun that says Colt.  Don't get wrapped up with gun options.  The purity of the sport, once you have seen the light, is a beautiful thing.  Shooting low expert scores with an iron-sighted, scratched up rattle trap is a real kick.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:26 am

smsnyder wrote:The only pistols I am impressed with so far is the cz Shadow 2 accushadow. I don't think there is a better 9mm target gun out there. I will die with this pistol.
Sig P220?
Pardini GT9?
Tanfoglio Gold Match?
Any of a plethora of 1911 builds in 9mm?
How about a CZ 75 Sport with 6" barrel and slide from Waffen-Oschatz?
https://www.waffen-oschatz.de/cz-75-sport-ii/

And "tack driver" isn't what is used to describe a good target gun. You're looking for a couple of inches of spread max at 50yds for that designation.
In the end, it's the results of pistol + shooter that count. Personally I won't be crowing about any particular pistol until I can start producing clean slow fire targets at 50yds.

The praise for a 9mm CZ 75 is also very odd in a thread where you're looking for information on .45s. For .45 if you want to have CZ ergonomics you'd be looking at a CZ 97 or a Tanfoglio. For getting more performance out of CZ's there's CZ Custom and Cajun Gunworks. I'm only starting to look at possibilities as I familiarise myself with my new CZ 97. There are resources out there for CZs and other pistols, but here you'll find it's 1911 focused.

I'm all for finding alternatives to 1911s, and I'll run my mouth a lot too, but seems you need to slow down the enthusiasm and start listening to the advice you're given and the information that's available.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Wobbley wrote:
james r chapman wrote:Because the current Colt Gold Cup National Match carries only the name of it's esteemed predecessor....

I have two, a Series 70 and Series 80...they’re not very esteemed.

+1 with Wobbley.  My last Colt purchase came out well but not without significant investment not to accuracize it but to just get it to run thanks to the factory.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2