Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EyePal for stigmatism

+7
javaduke
lablover
PhotoEscape
dronning
adminbot1911
willnewton
James Hensler
11 posters

Go down

EyePal for stigmatism Empty EyePal for stigmatism

Post by James Hensler Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Ok first off I am not affiliated with this company what so ever!
I am 50 years old and it is confirmed that I do have an stigmatism. I told my wife that my Dots are getting g to be just blobs and to overcome this I turn down the power level and make the dot profile larger. I have even gone as far as starting the process of getting Lasic eye surgery. Last week I saw a commercial for eyepal and it intrigued me. So I spent 19.99 on eBay and ordered a 2 pack for handguns and bows. I just got it today. I use sunglasses to shoot so I put the eyepal on and turned on my dot. Without the eyepal it is a blob and with the eyepal on the lens the dot is perfectly clear and completely round!  I know some will say bullshit but I swear it is perfect! I highly recommend if you have this condition spend some money and it will bring you to tears! I will be at the Florida State Championship this weekend in Jacksonville and you can try it out for yourself!
Attachments
EyePal for stigmatism Attachment
0B7615AD-68C1-4D6E-B63B-51BDB44087CE.jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(24 Kb) Downloaded 42 times
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

EyePal for stigmatism Empty Re: EyePal for stigmatism

Post by willnewton Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Astigmatism is a condition many folks have, including me.  

The Eyepal does indeed work, as does that stick on suction cup iris whose name I can’t recall, and the Gehmann adjustable clip on iris.

I have had them all and the Eyepal is great way to find out if an iris will help you.  The Gehmann clip on is great too.

You can also use a larger dot or a dimmer dot to help as well to help prevent the “star” effect. 

These iris accessories can also help sharpen up your eyesight a bit as well and are big help with focusing on iron sights.  Especially for someone that doesn’t always need glasses, but can’t quite focus as sharply as they used to.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:16 pm

"Merit optical attachment" is the other brand.

I have that and the eyepal in 2 sizes. 

I haven't sorted out the kinks in the Merit but can't offload it because they seem hard to come by.  

I'm keeping at it with the eyepal.  If in the right part of the glasses they work well... but my line of sight is so high up the lens it's problematic getting it to stick correctly.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Yep, the Merit is the one I had.  It worked well, but the suction cup and movable arm got frustrating at times.

The Eyepal and Gehmann stay where you put them and don’t fall off mid-squeeze in SF. Smile
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:33 am

willnewton wrote:Yep, the Merit is the one I had.  It worked well, but the suction cup and movable arm got frustrating at times.

The Eyepal and Gehmann stay where you put them and don’t fall off mid-squeeze in SF. Smile
Like I said, kinks!  Laughing
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:31 am

+1 an the EyePal, I've been using on for 3 years.  My dot went from an hour glass shape to being nice and round.  + it really helped with my head alignment, I use to drop my head toward the end of a match.  Now I have to keep my head position or I loose the sharp dot.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Oh yeah I didn’t mention how it makes you keep your head in the right position
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Well, it might be a bit premature for me to say anything on this, but this tread is the perfect launch point.

I've been working on my own eyesight issue ever since I called to Trijicon tech support complaining about seeing anything but a dot on my first RMR. I was lucky to come across of good technician that took time to listen, do some testing and concluding that I need to see an eye doctor. I followed his advice, got to know a "shooting" eye doctor and now shoot in different prescription glasses specific to red dots or irons. Still dot glasses do not address every red dot I have and use, especially tube type ones.

Several months ago I shared my issue with one of the top shooters who's frequently posts here on the forum, and he pointed to work done by Dr. Norman Wong. That started my experimentation with what I call "Aperture Rings". Some of you might of seen me shooting matches recently with such rings installed on my guns. At this time I enlisted help of couple great shooter to test the concept. I hope, testing will be positive, although I now think, that great shooter already so good that rings unlikely to add anything to their ability to shoot better. I myself is quite a lousy shooter, but I do see benefit from dot being less distorted than without rings. In short, I'm close to finalizing and listing this product on the website. Probably in a few weeks.

AP

PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

ermakevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:16 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:Well, it might be a bit premature for me to say anything on this, but this tread is the perfect launch point.

I've been working on my own eyesight issue ever since I called to Trijicon tech support complaining about seeing anything but a dot on my first RMR.  I was lucky to come across of good technician that took time to listen, do some testing and concluding that I need to see an eye doctor.  I followed his advice, got to know a "shooting" eye doctor and now shoot in different prescription glasses specific to red dots or irons.  Still dot glasses do not address every red dot I have and use, especially tube type ones.

Several months ago I shared my issue with one of the top shooters who's frequently posts here on the forum, and he pointed to work done by Dr. Norman Wong.  That started my experimentation with what I call "Aperture Rings".  Some of you might of seen me shooting matches recently with such rings installed on my guns.  At this time I enlisted help of couple great shooter to test the concept.  I hope, testing will be positive, although I now think, that great shooter already so good that rings unlikely to add anything to their ability to shoot better.  I myself is quite a lousy shooter, but I do see benefit from dot being less distorted than without rings.  In short, I'm close to finalizing and listing this product on the website.  Probably in a few weeks.

AP  

Can’t wait to see em
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:46 pm

Yeah me also! I am up for anything that truly works and helps people with disabilities be able to overcome their problems. If they work I will buy some! Good job
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:13 pm

I posted "Aperture Rings" product on website - http://photoescapeinc.com/products/aperture-rings-kit.html

Jon Eulette just posted his review of the product here on the forum. Same review is posted on website. Thank you, Jon!

AP

PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:22 pm

I will get a set!
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:35 am

Just ordered a set of PhotoEscape rings, I'll give it a try. I've been using Merit aperture for quite some time and it does help, but these rings seem to be a better solution.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:30 pm

I just got my Lyman EyePal & it made a surprising improvement in my vision. I'm slightly farsighted & I put up with slightly blurry sights. I tried .5 & .75 reading glasses which helped but made the target slightly blurry. Yesterday I put this EyePal on plain safety glasses & my sights & target are both sharp. Much broader depth of field. Close & far away is very  sharp. It makes sense. Use aperture f/22 on an old manual camera & the pic is taken through a pin hole & everything is sharp close & far away.

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:32 pm

I use two eye pals, one on each lens. I position them so I can have both eyes open. The left one is real close to the nose bridge. My red dot that would appear as a blob or a comet now is a perfectly round dot.  It appears like I am looking out one hole. It also works great for open sights.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:05 am

I'm interested in how it's mounted, maybe photo with Gehmann and Eyepal mounted on Glasses. I do have the Merit with suction cup, another that is like an eye patch but with a disk that rotates with different size holes.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:59 pm

OK, so here is the science behind all of this.

There are three things you need to look at: focal point, depth of field, and astigmatism correction.  Focal point is determined by either you eye exerting the ciliary muscle, or by the addition of power in the sphere value of a lens.  Depth of field is determined by the aperture size you are looking through, either your pupil if it is just your eye, or the aperture of your sight, astigmatism correction is just that.

focal point and depth of fiels work together, either helps, both work together.  You ideally want your focal point adjusted by your lens, so the eye muscle does not have to exert (producing unreliable results), and you want a small aperture to give you a big depth of field.

For pistol shooters with iron sights, the most common lens strength needed is between +0.75 diopters without an aperture, or about +1.00 diopters with an aperture.  Aperture size depends on range lighting conditions.  Outdoor pistol can get into the 0.040 range, well lit interior ranges are in the 0.060 (1/16") aperture range, poorly lit ranges require a larger aperture because of poor light.  Smaller aperture IMPROVES focus, as long as there is enough light.  Human eye is limited to about 1/8" aperture (the pupil), but smaller than that will improve depth of field.

shootingsight

RoyDean, shanneba and samtoast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:20 pm

This is timely. I just came home from the range trying out photoescape aperture rings for an ultradot. I shot 25 yards at a slow fire target. I put the .350 inch aperture and it wasn't to hard to get used. Next time I go out I will try an aperture with a much smaller hole.,

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down