Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

model 41 vs. performance center model 41 accuracy differences

5 posters

Go down

model 41 vs. performance center model 41 accuracy differences Empty model 41 vs. performance center model 41 accuracy differences

Post by whitetruffle 11/13/2019, 10:51 am

I have a 40 year old model 41 with a 2 lb trigger that I shoot very well (most shots in the black)  I bought a performance center model 41 with a 2.6 lb trigger and i am shooting all over the place.  I cannot call my shots and some shots periodically go off of the target.  what gives?  I would have thought that the performance center model would have shot at least as well as my much older std model.  any thoughts?

whitetruffle

Back to top Go down

model 41 vs. performance center model 41 accuracy differences Empty Re: model 41 vs. performance center model 41 accuracy differences

Post by BE Mike 11/13/2019, 11:18 am

It might be that additional weight of the trigger or something else, like the trigger stop adjustment that doesn't allow you to shoot it as well. The new pistol also might not shoot as well with the ammo you selected. To check the mechanical accuracy, you probably are going to have to either machine rest test it or sandbag test it, if you are a good bench shooter.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

model 41 vs. performance center model 41 accuracy differences Empty Re: model 41 vs. performance center model 41 accuracy differences

Post by whitetruffle 11/13/2019, 11:39 am

I can bench the gun and shoot accurate groups. my guess is that the extra 1/2 lb trigger pull is causing the accuracy issues.  i would never have believed it.  how would the trigger stop adjustment effect the shooting accuracy? (please respond)  keep in mind I benched on a rest and shot with a two handed grip vs. my bullseye shooting style of one free hand.  the perf center model is also 4 ounces lighter than the std model. the std model has slide top mount which would also add a few more ounces to the weight.  maybe a combination of less weight by as much as a half pound and a higher trigger pull are the issues.  i use cci std velocity ammo, the std for the model 41.   has anyone else had this experience?

whitetruffle

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 11/13/2019, 3:14 pm

Similar but a little different. My old 41 shoots little tiny groups with practically any ammo. My 40 year newer pistol shoots big groups any ammo. I had to re-crown to get decent groups. Still not as good as the old pistol. But it wouldn't group from sandbags either.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 11/13/2019, 3:49 pm

From what you are saying the new 41 is accurate but you do not shoot it as well as the older one. This could be caused by many things. I would not expect more weight on the trigger or a lighter gun to cause you to shoot less or more accurate. I do think that weight and balance can cause you to shoot differently and maybe you just do not have the feel of the new one yet. give it some time and focus on the fundamentals.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 11/14/2019, 7:11 am

Shooting the gun from a rest is good.  You determined that it's not the equipment.  

I'd be interested in taking super-slow motion video of your squeeze and see if anything is happening in the last .6 lbs of your pull. 

My money is on rushing through that part because of the muscle memory gained from shooting your vintage Model 41.  A good amount of snap cap dry fire should help with this.  Blank wall drills too.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

model 41 vs. performance center model 41 accuracy differences Empty update on this problem

Post by whitetruffle 1/10/2020, 1:01 pm

I suspected that the 2 lb difference was not the main issue as the trigger break did not always seem crisp to me.  Moreover, we shoot the 45 at 3.5 lbs, so going from 2 to 2.5 lbs should not have been an issue at all.  I was getting flyers once in a while and on those shots the break seemed problematic to me.  I sent the gun to Clark Custom Guns and had them do a trigger job.  the gun just came back; I took it to the range and the trigger job had made a world of difference.  no flyers and now I can shoot better groups with this gun than with my old model 41 first time out of the box.  The trigger break is now very crisp and clean at 2 lbs.   so there you have it.  this will be my new competition gun.

whitetruffle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down